Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2002 11:59:01 AM EDT
I boxed up my Springfield 1911 to send back to S.A. for some work. My wife took it down to a Mailboxes Etc type place and they told her they were not allowed to mail firearms. So she heads to the UPS hub, which is about 5 miles out of her way. When she get to a clerk she explains its a firearm and has to ship overnight. Also asks if there is any reason the packaging place cannot accept the package for shipment. UPS lady says "No." Then the wife hears from a lady behind her in line, "there shouldn't be any guns." Wife: "Look, lady, I don't want to get into that with you." Anti: "Blah, blah, blah..." Wife gets pissed and responds, "Oh, and what would you do if a drug-crazed burglar broke into your home one night?" Anti: "I'd handle it." Wife: "I'll bet you would." She gets home fuming about the lady prick, "What the hell is wrong with people? Now I know how you and your friends must feel." Wish I had the anti's name and address. I'd pay for an NRA membership for her, and maybe a S.O.F. subscription for good measure. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:18:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2002 12:19:04 PM EDT by raven]
Well, at least the anti wasn't on the other side of the counter. I hate dealing with UPS because whenever they ask "What are you shipping?" and you reply "Guns" or "Ammo" they get a shocked look on their face and say "You cant ship that." Then you argue, explain you've done it before, then the drone goes and talks to the manager who may or may not know the regs himself. Happens every time to me. PITA.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:33:58 PM EDT
I would call the manager and ask why their employees are insulting the customers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:46:41 PM EDT
It wasn't a UPS employee. It was a beeeotch standing in line behind Mrs. Marvl.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:48:31 PM EDT
I tried mailing a case of Tannerite twice. The first time, I explained what they were. They wouldn't mail it of course. The second time, I identified the contents of the box as "Agricultural Products". Everything worked great then. Bottom line: If you know it to be legal, just lie. Saves a lot of hassle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:51:18 PM EDT
They don't identify the package as containing a firearm. Next time, ship overnight to comply with the law. If they ask what it is, tell 'em it's machine parts. Hurry up and move to Coos County, and you won't have that problem!! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:52:12 PM EDT
HE-HE, yup I had a run in with a UPS clerk, and heres what happened, I had sold a pistol and was shipping it out of state, I had the buyers FFL papers with me, signed in red ink, the weapon boxed and ready to go, I walk up to the UPS counter and told the lady I needed to ship this overnight and per-UPS regs I diclosed it was a handgun, well she said you cannot ship any guns at all, OH yes I can, well we go back and forth and I finally said get me the manager, He comes out with the asistent manager and ask what is the problem, I explain the situation and he checks the FFL copy I have and turns to the clerk and says ship it, the lady then reply NO, I will not ship a gun at all, I dont like guns, the asistant manager says I will do it, the manager says NO, SHE WILL SHIP IT OR ELSE, HEHEHEHEHEHEHE all I could do was grin a big grin, that lady was pissed, so the weapon got shipped and the manager said sorry, and took the clerk back to the back and then she came out and said sorry, I just grinned and said I can not wait to ship another soon. Sometimes we win big.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:09:16 PM EDT
Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:30:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:17:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1shott: HE-HE, yup I had a run in with a UPS clerk, and heres what happened, I had sold a pistol and was shipping it out of state, I had the buyers FFL papers with me, signed in red ink, the weapon boxed and ready to go, I walk up to the UPS counter and told the lady I needed to ship this overnight and per-UPS regs I diclosed it was a handgun, well she said you cannot ship any guns at all, OH yes I can, well we go back and forth and I finally said get me the manager, He comes out with the asistent manager and ask what is the problem, I explain the situation and he checks the FFL copy I have and turns to the clerk and says ship it, the lady then reply NO, I will not ship a gun at all, I dont like guns, the asistant manager says I will do it, the manager says NO, SHE WILL SHIP IT OR ELSE, HEHEHEHEHEHEHE all I could do was grin a big grin, that lady was pissed, so the weapon got shipped and the manager said sorry, and took the clerk back to the back and then she came out and said sorry, I just grinned and said I can not wait to ship another soon. Sometimes we win big.
View Quote
Ahhh, vindication feels good, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:39:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By deadman:
Originally Posted By 1shott: HE-HE, yup I had a run in with a UPS clerk, and heres what happened, I had sold a pistol and was shipping it out of state, I had the buyers FFL papers with me, signed in red ink, the weapon boxed and ready to go, I walk up to the UPS counter and told the lady I needed to ship this overnight and per-UPS regs I diclosed it was a handgun, well she said you cannot ship any guns at all, OH yes I can, well we go back and forth and I finally said get me the manager, He comes out with the asistent manager and ask what is the problem, I explain the situation and he checks the FFL copy I have and turns to the clerk and says ship it, the lady then reply NO, I will not ship a gun at all, I dont like guns, the asistant manager says I will do it, the manager says NO, SHE WILL SHIP IT OR ELSE, HEHEHEHEHEHEHE all I could do was grin a big grin, that lady was pissed, so the weapon got shipped and the manager said sorry, and took the clerk back to the back and then she came out and said sorry, I just grinned and said I can not wait to ship another soon. Sometimes we win big.
View Quote
Ahhh, vindication feels good, doesn't it?
View Quote
possibley a progun UPS emp? hey it could happen. when UPS did CODs they always hated to come to my house. usually left with a few thousand in cash, i bet a few of them even carried against UPS regs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:46:26 PM EDT
Just have your wife tell the bitch to pack up the gun and if she can't do her job get somebody who can and keep your f*ing ideas to her self. I have to say it everything I ship a gun UPS and it always works.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:58:47 PM EDT
Sadly these morons are reproducing at a frightening pace. Almost makes you hope they are the victim of violent crime. Almost, but not quite. I gave up telling them anymore about the package contents than necessary. Most are way too dumb to know the difference between "gun" and "machine parts" anyhow.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:00:59 PM EDT
View Quote
THAT one I just love, especially the bit about, "...can not wait to ship another soon!" SWEEEEET! [;D] Damn I love it when the righteous triumph. [beer] When you do ship again...wait until SHE has the duty...that will make it all the sweeter! NEVER miss a chance to tweak an anti.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2002 6:45:19 PM EDT by SeaDweller]
UPS SUCKS ASS and I rather ship FedEx even if it I have to pay extra. FCK THEM! FedEx NEvEr hassled me for anything. They never question me for AnYthing! UPS SUCKS ASS! Oh, and I would've told the anti-POS to kindly mind her own business. Did I ever tell you about the POS anti at UPS that wanted to WRITE THE FFL number on the plain cardboard box containing the shotgun I was shipping? I told that stupid ASSHOLE no you don't!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:46:50 PM EDT
View Quote
I would've paid to see that one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:03:23 PM EDT
I shipped a pistol via FEDEX using a local Pony Express type place to ship it. I went in early so that if there was a problem I wouldn't be holding up a lot of people. I told the girl behind the counter what I was shipping and if it would be a problem. She said no, then asked if she could look at the gun. I figured WTF, so I safed it and handed it over to her (it was a Springfield 1911) so she could check it out. About this time one of the older ladies comes out from the back and sees the young girl with the gun. She asked if she could check it out next. After both women checked out the pistol I was getting ready to wrap it up when in came this hippie dude, wearing a Nader for President t-shirt! So I make a show out of packing up the pistol, pulling it out and cycling the slide to see if I will get a reaction. I did, he asked me if that my Springfield was made in America or Brazil! (America) I spent about 30 minutes in that store letting people play with my that Springfield.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:21:25 PM EDT
The last time I ordered a case of ammo, it was a woman that delivered it. When she put the box down, she said "Jeez, that's heavy; what is it, ammo?" I said that yes, it was a case of ammo for my (then) AR15, to which she just said "cool" and left.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 10:05:46 PM EDT
I take care of this very easily...if it is a long package ( like a rifle ) you tell the shipping dude/dudette it is "sporting goods" if it's a small box like a handgun I tell them it is "auto" parts. It is a legit answer and works every time I have shipped. Remember insure the hell out of your packages.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 10:45:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 11:05:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By liberty86: ship overnight to comply with the law.
View Quote
No law requires overnight shipping, UPS requires handguns to be shipped 2nd day air.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:36:48 AM EDT
"I'd handle it?" Dumb bitch! Your wife should have said, "Sure, your face is damn ugly, but not enough to turn that burglar to stone......yet!"
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:49:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:53:25 AM EDT
It's even worse than that now. The new UPS policy is that firearms MUST go through dealers and that dealers have to have a DAILY pickup account($15/week). I went to ship at the place I have always done it and she showed me the new regs. My response was, "So what you're telling me is that you don't want my business and either the Post Office or FEDEX gets it." She said, "I guess so." I left and don't have much to do with UPS anymore. I do like my delivery drivers although who are both gun nuts as well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:57:27 AM EDT
FFl to FFL - I ship Handguns via USPS, veteran Postal Workers who know the score are cool with it. "Go Postal!" I have sometimes used the description of gun parts - even when there is more than enough for a completed weapon. But that was years ago.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:19:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By David_Hineline: [red]It is law[/red] that you must notify the common carrier if they are shipping firearms. So a lie there breaks a law not just thier rules, Also fat chance of collecting on insurance when what you claimed was in the box was not in the box.
View Quote
Despite what the ATF's site's FAQs say, I am fairly certain that this is not written in the law verbatim. The company you use may have other rules and regulations, but unlike the gov't you can always claim ignorance with a contractor of services. Further, is a gun not a collection of parts? I always say "parts", so when I get the $1000 back or whatever from the insurance, it will come to me already assembled from the vendor as a conglomeration of parts -- AKA a firearm. [;)] Ed
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:04:22 PM EDT
I really URKS me that the whole firearms trade is regulated at the Federal level under the guise of interstate commerce. That is their "nose in the tent" for too many things. Then the stinkin' shipping outfits, contract and pseudo govt.(postal service), give you shit about doing LEGAL trade, all while jumping through 16 hoops, etc. As for the comments of other customers and looks etc. Mind your own damn business is what I think. I'm almost sure that the UPS policy probably originated from "scared" customers and/or employees. The last UPS employee that "checked" a revolver ensuring that it was unloaded, etc. actually took the trouble to wipe her fingerprints off the weapon and held it like a FULL diaper full of you know what. As if it was going to crawl up her arm and inflict it's evil spell on her or something like that. [heavy]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 12:11:56 PM EDT
Wish I had the anti's name and address. I'd pay for an NRA membership for her, and maybe a S.O.F. subscription for good measure.
View Quote
Darn, I just started doing this for poeple at work and thought my idea was original.. :)
Then the wife hears from a lady behind her in line, "there shouldn't be any guns."
View Quote
Yes, and there should be any anti's either.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:48:18 AM EDT
Top Top