Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/28/2014 3:10:41 PM EDT
ISP press conference today - link

I'm approved!

Back story: Everyone (with or without fingerprints, they are not mandatory) was able to apply beginning 1/5. Early groups to test system (online app ONLY until this summer): instructors were able to apply 12/18. Non-instructors with prints were able to apply 1/2.

I'm in the 1/2 group.

Hot dang. In the mail. I'm waiting on my Utah permit. Curious to see which I will get first.

3/5 update: I have my CCL in hand.

First place I'll be carrying tonight is church - very appropriate given where Mary Shepherd was attacked.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to get off my ass.  Now my Mom is hassling me "got your CCW?  Got your CCW?"  
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I need to get off my ass.  Now my Mom is hassling me "got your CCW?  Got your CCW?"  
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats great man! i just got my CCW back in February.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Any word on IL having reciprocity with any other states yet?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Once you get used to carrying, you feel naked without a gun on your hip.

Whats your EDC?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]
congratulations, guys...and girls!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Good stuff.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Outstanding.

A great day for our friends in IL.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Whats your EDC?
View Quote

9mm Shield I've had for a month (working out the kinks on shooting it) or a Bersa Thunder .380 (that I've had since last summer). I'll do appendix or a CCW purse. Appendix conceals very well on me, the Shield better than my Bersa.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#15]
"The new law allowing concealed guns to be carried in public was cobbled together after an appellate court struck down the state's concealed carry ban in December 2012."

I love that.  It must have been so difficult.  I mean, it's not like they could have copied it from one of the other FORTY-NINE states!  They had to cobble together their own BS.

Anyway, this is indeed great news for the few friends and family remaining in my home state.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#16]
One step closer to "the land of the free"
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man, you funneee! (said in mental Asian voice)

Are you KIDDING me? IL has a provision for non-residents to apply if someone has a permit from home state and their state is on IL's "approved" list. But right now only Hawaii is on that list. Yes, HAWAII.

Only in IL.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#19]
So if prints are not required.. why would anyone submit to being fingerprinted?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Back story: Everyone (with or without fingerprints, they are not mandatory)
View Quote

Good lord, IL has better gun laws than middle of nowhere (ND).  Here you need give up your right to privacy as if you were a criminal suspect before the state will grant you a permit to protect your life.  I've always found that part to be a huge load of BS.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Wait a minute. You mean common citizens can now ccw in Cook County? What wine with the crow I'm about to eat. Congratulations! That is truly a victory!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Good lord, IL has better gun laws than middle of nowhere (ND).  Here you need give up your right to privacy as if you were a criminal suspect before the state will grant you a permit to protect your life.  I've always found that part to be a huge load of BS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, you have to give up all right to privacy with the IL CCW app, too. I've heard of some people not applying as they didn't like it. CBP already has my prints from my customs broker license application, so I wasn't worried about the ISP having them.

What does ND do, exactly?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does not sound like that is in the cards. I live on a border state to them and with my states permit I can "drive through" Illinois still packing, but anytime I stop and get out, It reverts to the old law where it has to be unloaded and encased. I considered going through  the class myself as it is offered here but for out of staters by the time all is said and done it was like 3-400 bucks and the list of places you cannot carry in Illinois even with the permit is just effed up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

9mm Shield I've had for a month (working out the kinks on shooting it) or a Bersa Thunder .380 (that I've had since last summer). I'll do appendix or a CCW purse. Appendix conceals very well on me, the Shield better than my Bersa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats your EDC?

You'll soon have more holsters than you can imagine, honestly when i first started carrying i went through 5-6 IWb holsters until i found one that i liked.

Different guns require different holsters, just because a crossbreed super tuck worked for your G19, doesn't meant that a super tuck for your  G20 will be as comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I need a holster that can accommodate a light on my M&P9c.  That's the ONLY thing I dislike about my MTAC.  If you don't want a light, go with MTAC.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wait a minute. You mean common citizens can now ccw in Cook County? What wine with the crow I'm about to eat. Congratulations! That is truly a victory!
View Quote

Hell, yes. And not just in Cook County. In CHICAGO. Both Lawn Dart (Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart) and McStreetlights (Chicago police superintendent aka chief Garry McCarthy who likes to shoot out street lights) are beside themselves. You should hear them talk in the media recently. It's as if law abiding citizens having their CCW is the end of the world. It will be VERY interesting the first time a black  or Hispanic man gets stopped and has a gun on him - and his CCW license - and was doing nothing wrong but being black. I had a couple of those guys in my CCW class. They live in somewhat sketchy areas and just want to protect themselves and their families.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You'll soon have more holsters than you can imagine, honestly when i first started carrying i went through 5-6 IWb holsters until i found one that i liked.

Different guns require different holsters, just because a crossbreed super tuck worked for your G19, doesn't meant that a super tuck for your  G20 will be as comfortable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats your EDC?

I actually have kydex holsters molded specifically for both my pistols, from The Well Armed Woman website. They've done a few things to make them less bulky for women. I love them. My Shield is VERY comfy to wear. That and my CCW purse and I'm good to go. I have a good solid gun belt, as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome! Congrats~!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Actually, you have to give up all right to privacy with the IL CCW app, too. I've heard of some people not applying as they didn't like it. CBP already has my prints from my customs broker license application, so I wasn't worried about the ISP having them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ISP already has my fingerprints since I interned for them.

I haven't actually looked at what this waiver to privacy consists of.  I, like most people, suspect that they need to poke around in your privacy to complete your background check.  However, I do not know if going forward into the future if your privacy is safeguarded in anyway.  About two years ago state Attorney General Lisa Madigan wanted to publish the list of FOID cardholder's names (and addresses?).

I would like to think that Illinois's CCW law was written in such a way as to protect the identities and home addresses of, but like I have said I haven't read the fine print in the privacy waiver.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I actually have kydex holsters molded specifically for both my pistols, from The Well Armed Woman website. They've done a few things to make them less bulky for women. I love them. My Shield is VERY comfy to wear. That and my CCW purse and I'm good to go. I have a good solid gun belt, as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats your EDC?

Thanks for the reminder to pickup a new gun belt
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
However, I do not know if going forward into the future if your privacy is safeguarded in anyway.  About two years ago state Attorney General Lisa Madigan wanted to publish the list of FOID cardholder's names (and addresses?).

I would like to think that Illinois's CCW law was written in such a way as to protect the identities and home addresses of, but like I have said I haven't read the fine print in the privacy waiver.
View Quote

If THAT is the kind of privacy the other poster was referring to, it's written into the law. Look around page 47-50 of the law PDF from the IL CCW website. Applicant info, FOID info, appeals board info canNOT be the subject of a FOIA request. Period. End of story.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Excellent, Illinois! Welcome to the club.

I was toting my 4th Gen G34 today for the sheer pleasure of it
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If THAT is the kind of privacy the other poster was referring to, it's written into the law. Look around page 47-50 of the law PDF from the IL CCW website. Applicant info, FOID info, appeals board info canNOT be the subject of a FOIA request. Period. End of story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, I do not know if going forward into the future if your privacy is safeguarded in anyway.  About two years ago state Attorney General Lisa Madigan wanted to publish the list of FOID cardholder's names (and addresses?).

I have no idea what kind of privacy waiver the other poster was referring to.

I am looking at the .pdf version of the law, now, on my iPhone.  Which totally sucks because I can't cut and paste it.

I will have to look into how Missouri got away with divulging its CCWers's info to the Feds.

I am ASSuming that with the IL CCW online application process there was some ability to pay online, right?

To what entity (state office or agency) was this money paid to?

Directly to the ISP?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I need to get off my ass and shell out the $300 Cabela's is charging for the class and everything else.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats to you guys over on the "wrong" side of the river!

I'm glad you guys are finally able to CCW!

Now the big question....Whatcha gonna carry???

ETA - Asked and answered above.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I am looking at the .pdf version of the law, now, on my iPhone.  Which totally sucks because I can't cut and paste it.

I will have to look into how Missouri got away with divulging its CCWers's info to the Feds.

I am ASSuming that with the IL CCW online application process there was some ability to pay online, right?

Directly to the ISP?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Directly to the ISP?

This is what my email payment receipt says: Thank you for making your payment to Illinois Concealed Carry via the Illinois State Treasurer's E-Pay system.

All the money is earmarked for the ISP or for things, such as the mental health fund, I believe.

From the IL CCW law, beginning on the bottom of page 46 of the pdf:

Section 120. The Freedom of Information Act is amended by changing Section 7.5 as follows:

Sec. 7.5. Statutory Exemptions. To the extent provided for
by the statutes referenced below, the following shall be exempt
from inspection and copying:

Blah blah blah

(v) Names and information of people who have applied for or received Firearm Owner's Identification Cards under the
Firearm Owners Identification Card Act or applied for or received a concealed carry license under the Firearm Concealed
Carry Act, unless otherwise authorized by the Firearm Concealed Carry Act; and databases under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act,
records of the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, and law enforcement agency
objections under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

The underlined part is the change. Link to the law.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here:
http://www.redstate.com/diary/dloesch/2013/04/10/missouri-secretly-shares-entire-ccw-list-with-feds-against-state-law/

If I understand it correctly, the Missouri Highway Patrol asked for a list from the Missouri Department of Revenue of people who had paid for a Missouri CCW permit.  Once the Missouri Highway Patrol got that list of 185,000 names, they then turned it over to the Feds.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here:
http://www.redstate.com/diary/dloesch/2013/04/10/missouri-secretly-shares-entire-ccw-list-with-feds-against-state-law/

If I understand it correctly, the Missouri Highway Patrol asked for a list from the Missouri Department of Revenue of people who had paid for a Missouri CCW permit.  Once the Missouri Highway Patrol got that list of 185,000 names, they then turned it over to the Feds.

View Quote

Do local LEO approve/disapprove CCW apps? In IL, it's only the ISP, even though local LEO can object for legit reasons.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Keep at it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Good!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm happy for you Marie. I applied on Jan. 24 so I am going to have to wait a bit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#43]
In before the streets run red with blood.

Congrats! And good choice on the shield.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#45]
UGHHHHHH - Reading about 1/5'ers who applied w/ no prints being approved, my app # was 51xx and I'm still under review........ It's driving me insane
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#46]
How much did it cost?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Excellent...OUTSTANDING!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How much did it cost?
View Quote

$150 for 5 years

Training (16 Hours) - $200
Ammo - $20
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How much did it cost?
View Quote

$150 + $60 for prints

$150 for 2nd 8 hours of training. 16 hours required, I got credit for 8 hours from a Basic Pistol class I took two years ago ($70 up in WI).
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Fucking awesome!  
View Quote

Don't you mean goose-fucking awesome?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top