Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2002 9:44:24 AM EDT
I just bought a Savage arms 17hmr yesterday. 21"inch heavy barrel, scope mounts and a walnut stock. I get to pick it up on the 26th. So hopefully my stocking will be filled with gun goodies. I can't wait to shoot it. I have heard nothing bad about the rounds only how much ass they kick. Any one else like to share info on the gun or ammo if they own one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No but I want one
tho I would like a ruger semi auto.
Ive only heard good about them too
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I handled a Ruger 96 lever action .17 HMR. REAL nice gun.

I want one! [>(] If I only had the money for it.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I put a CZ (American) on layaway last week
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
As I understand things, the only draw to this rifle is that you can use it to hunt small game in states that don't allow >.22 calibers or centerfires.

Am I missing something special?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
DriftPunch, read the reviews. It has a higher velocity than any 22 even wmr's and is much more accuarate. It can penitrate further than a 22. I mostly bought it because every one I know owns a some sort of 22 rifle.I could have easily bought a rueger 10/22 but decided to try something different. The way I see it, it is a reletivly new round and gun, so it will need awhile to make a name for itself like rueger did with the 10/22. So far no bad reviews either.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
DriftPunch, read the reviews. It has a higher velocity than any 22 even wmr's and is much more accuarate. It can penitrate further than a 22. I mostly bought it because every one I know owns a some sort of 22 rifle.I could have easily bought a rueger 10/22 but decided to try something different. The way I see it, it is a reletivly new round and gun, so it will need awhile to make a name for itself like rueger did with the 10/22. So far no bad reviews either.
View Quote

That's my question.  Is there something special here, or does it exist only to trump .22RF/MRF (none to difficult) in the regulated world of hunting?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a SS Marlin in 17hmr. Great shooting gun. Easily puts ten shots in 1" @100 yds, better if I can keep from giggling while I shoot.
Ammo is a bit expensive approx 10.00 for 50rds but I do expect the price to drop eventually.
It is a very fun caliber to shoot, very accurate and since it is a rimfire, no searching for brass afterwards. :)
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
How loud is it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It was compard to the noise level of a CCI .22

Here is a good review. It has some good pics and a video of him destroying a diet coke can filled with water. It looks like someone hit it with a 12 gauge slug.

http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/17hmr.htm
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ammo is a bit expensive approx 10.00 for 50rds but I do expect the price to drop eventually.
View Quote

Aguila is coming out with 17hmr ammo soon.
I imagine it will be a bit cheaper than the hornady stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top