Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I plan on it as soon as I recover a little from the Christmas season.  This site has easliy saved me $60 on rifle purchases, mags and ammo.  If not directly from the EE, the information I've gathered from the great people here helped me avoid getting it in the ass when I buy guns.  Maybe that didn't sound so good.  Anyway, hopefully when I get paid next month GB will get my $60.
View Quote

You're a good man medic, why just the other day, I was telling the guys in the team club house............
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I am just too broke to give them the money. I really wish I could, but its just been too tight. Lord knows I spend enough time here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would I pay to be knocked around just because of living in CA? You outsiders may think we're stupid around here when, in fact, it is just majority of the politicans that we would like to export to somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Color my cheap-ass Bronze once you guys get it all worked out.

Price was the only factor for me not joining.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Guys, this is a bit of a tough post to compose.  Here goes:

Reference was made early in this thread about other sites not "requesting money."  I don't remember who said it, and it doesn't matter.  The point is that the Avila's have adamantly refused to allow this type of thread, and desire Mods/Staff not participate (much) when they arise.  I have tried to "leak" little snippets of factual information wherever I can, while avoiding goat hoof marks.  Our main host, GoatBoy, "feels bad" about even discussing the idea of all of us sharing in the burden of financing the site.  AR15.com has grown beyond anyone's ability to anticipate.  It's hugely expensive to operate, let alone grow further.  A number of individuals have worked behind the scenes to (almost literally) drag him to this point.  [u]Kudos to all of you[/u], and [b]thank you[/b], GoatBoy for not admonishing me for my various lapses in keeping my mouth shut.  The Avila's, as far as I know, are not wealthy men, and cannot be expected to shoulder the entire burden above what the advertisers pay.  These three membership levels will, hopefully, allow us to help, fit the budget of many, while still maintaining the spirit and participation of the site, including those who cannot, or wish not to, help pay the freight.  In other words--I am thrilled to death to see these changes.  [b]THANKS, JUAN!!![/b]  [:)]
View Quote

Good post bee.........

While I'm no "insider" here, I have heard some figures tossed around re. the kind of $$ the Avilas, (hi ED), have had to put out in order to set up and maintain the site. I was quite astonished at just how expensive some of this stuff is. Add to that, the amount of time Juan and others put in to get the site up, and keep it up, (software, AND hardware), and your talking REAL $$ in anyone's book. I frequently hear, "well they have advertisers who pay for it all". This is NOT the case. Most of the companies and dealers here are NOT rich by any means. Look at the problems even the big companies like Smith and Wesson and Colt has had. Anyone who has , or has had an FFL can tell you, unless you are a giant, you just scrape by. The big boys have had to deal with lawsuits for over 10 years, and THAT takes $$. In short, there's not as much $$ in having a firearms related business as one might think.
Bottom line is, those who DO advertise, are not into spending big bucks to do it. Advertising doesn't generate the kind of money you think it would. Especially in this industry. Don't forget, advertising gets passed on to YOU, the consumer, so ya pay for it anyway. Asking advertisers to pay more, means we ALL pay more for product, and is a symptom of "let the other guy do it"....
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
It took this thread to remind me that I indended
to do my fair share this holiday season.  So the
check is in todays mail.

Now I gotta find some cutesy GIF I guess.  Oh
well, gotta take the bad with the good.

DanM
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no excuse. Good job,lots of dough.
I just haven't. Will I be a better person if I do? Get respect? Be "one of the boys"? Convince me to enlist. (if ya can) [:D] (or want me to)
AB
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#10]
What the hell, I'll join tonight.

HOKIE hereby pledges himself to AR15.com!!!

Okay, now what...there isn't fraternity type hazing involved is there? lol

I'm now going to search the site for membership info...

It seems your sig name needs at least 3 syllables...
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have no excuse. Good job,lots of dough.
I just haven't. [red]Will I be a better person if I do?[/red] Get respect? Be "one of the boys"? Convince me to enlist. (if ya can) [:D] (or want me to)
AB
View Quote

No, but you WILL get the secret handshake and nice lookin' womenz in the team club house....
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
You mean people PAY for that stuff ?!? Damn, all that effort "down the drain".[%|]

Actually, now that I've got My 10/22, a membership's next on My list!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well for some of you that say that $60 is too steep, you'll be in luck.  There are some new things coming down the line after the first of the year, including a scaled back basic membership.  So start saving your pennies now.
View Quote

You mean new excuses for not joining will be necessary?  The horror!!  [:O]
View Quote

I'm thinking up a new one as we speak....j/k.  I will be joining after new year....I'm in the military(My lifetime excuse)..the payraise should cover it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I joined on Sat. or Sun., I have been on the site for a couple of months now and wanted to see if I still liked it.  I have traded, bought, sold, on the site.  I feel if you use the site on a regular basis you should shell out 5 bucks a month; that is only one cup of half double non-fat decaf latte at Starbucks.

Does any of the mods know how long it is before I get notified of my e-mail, photo hosting, and the super-secret handshake?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Great idea for different membership levels. It's a great site, but $60 is a bunch, particularly for casual users. This ought to pick up a lot of new members, I'll sign up!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does any of the mods know how long it is before I get notified of my e-mail, photo hosting, and the super-secret handshake?
View Quote

It depends completely upon their work load.  It usually only takes a few days.  Thank you for joining!!  [:)]
View Quote

you welcome.  thanks for the answer
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Why are guests allowed to use the EE as a profit center while those who never use it have to pay for search? It seems to me if you use ar15.com as a profit center, you should pay.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#22]
To be honest,  there is a heck of a lot of bashing/hatred that pisses me off.

Police, Jews, Israel, religion, race, "feed the hogs" tinfoil, elitist garbage, heck you name it.

I don't have a lot in common with these folks.

I'll give it a shot though for at least one year.  let me know when the credit card stuff is up and running.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#23]
What the hell, guess I'll throw in my $0.02 before the IRS gets it's hands in my wallet again....

I generally ran through three reasons:

1. Did have the cash. Sometimes I was stretched WAY too thin.

2. LAZINESS! I thought the $60 bucks was too much, even though I had the money lying around.

3. PROTEST! Call me a pervert, I don't care. I WANT THE LODGE! BRING BACK THE LODGE (Of ourse I'm ignoring the fact that team memberships would probably have to be upped to $300 a year just to cover the bandwidth costs!)!

The recent server hiccup, as well as the amount of time spent here (yeah, I'm a low poster...I know it.), gave me a good idea of how much I like the place. Few years ago I used to hang out mostly on HKPro...until they decided to nix any posts non HK firearm related. Then I went to The Firing Line, until they started to crackdown on non-firearm or non-political related posts (when they shut down one of the 'getting nailed in a very painful divorce' threads, that capped it for me). Then I came here. And wonder of wonders, it never changed.

One of the things I most like about this board is that it IS a community. Hell, we've got your resident legal advisors, resident religious advisors, resident employment advisors, you name it. Need help on a patent application, a medical procedure, insect infestation, troubles with love life, finding the best setup for your competition gun, or just about anything, and you'll find it here. AR15 has been there with kind words and advice for people down on their luck, praise and hoisted brews for those experiencing good times, and is a great place to kick back, and relax. It realizes, to me, the most important thing.....it's not really about the firearms, but the people. And all this for nothing. Heck, when you look at it that way, $60 bucks is a bargain.

I also think the site has, with regards to the whole membership/support issue, conducted itself with the utmost of class, something that is becoming more and more rare in the web crackdown. They could always have gone to popup ads, or just eliminated a lot of the great features here to cover the cost, or even just limited access to the boards to paying members, but that hasn't happened...nor has there ever been any hassle about joining.

And hey, though I like the 'Hit it or not' threads (especially for the photoshopped pics of Bush!), I look at them, and many other threads like them, in this view: I may not WANT to read about them, or care at all about them, but I'm thankful that they're allowed to BE HERE. It's kinda rare that a discussion topic gets stifled by the mods.

So yep.....I joined. Now I have to decide on an avatar, hehehe.

Any word on if current Gold Members can do an 'upgrade' to Platinum when the new system gets rolled out?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I dont have the money, yet.

I plan on paying as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#28]
the wait time from the time someone pays till thier membership is turned on is my reason for the delay...

Instant gratifacition... the american way,,,,

Homer:
Hey!!!  you want it fixed [red]RIGHT? [/red]....
or you want it fixed [red]FAST?[/red]

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#30]
One doesn't have to be anything but a member to get full access to the knowledge that abides here!   One member posts help my AC is on the fritz,starts up then dies!

He gets everything to kill the cat,put ice packs in front of fans ect.
 Then guys get on line tell him to pull disconnect to unit,pull control panel,check contacter points,then replace start capacitor!

Member does so and with a 30.00 part fixes AC,beats service call fee(way more than an AR/15 membership)!

He could have done the same without membership,but just think you are keeping this boat afloat and here for you with your contribution!

Team Membership helps out!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#31]
[size=5]MONEY![/size=5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#32]
[b]Please Give...[/b]

[img]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/Zach_Goatboy_4.jpg[/img]

[b]For the Children![/b]

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You cheap bastard it wasn;t until we announced our Team discounts that you forked over the money...  discounted transfers, event hosting, special deals for Team members...  I'm onto to buddy!  [>:/]
View Quote

Exactly the reasons you posted for the inital event - in order for those 'delaying' their membership to 'pony up'. It was that extra little something that made it all worth while especially living this close to B&Js.

Edited because, for a fleeting moment I took Hiram seriously [;)] When will I learn?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been here a while, and I have the money, but I am a lazy bastard. I'll try to get off my duff and send goaty a check.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My humor is like my sister... twisted...  now settle down Beavis or no AK for you!  That's right, I'm the BJ "Nazi".
View Quote

Well okay then, I'll simma' down now....and yes I am a cheap bastard. What do ya want! I'm married, have a kid....gun fund purchases went from 80 to 10%....feel my pain!

And might I add, the membership sure does beat  having to let you tickle my balls in order to get a 'discount' ya' bastard [;)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm the BJ "Nazi".
View Quote

I bet you are Panama Red  [img]http://forums.iroczone.com/images/smiles/imahumper.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why are guests allowed to use the EE as a profit center while those who never use it have to pay for search? It seems to me if you use ar15.com as a profit center, you should pay.
View Quote

Yeah, I hate those free riders.  Kinda like people who spend most of their waking hours here and have almost 5500 posts. [:P]

I've always figured the 60 bucks were a bargain for the amount of time I spend here, sort of like lodge dues without the family style dinners and dancing to bad music.  I don't use any of the features but the search, but I'll probably keep it at the 60 bucks a year level because that is how I value this site.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I have not beenn a member for very long, but have browsed the boards for a year or two.

I have found that you can get a lot of entertainment from this site.   You can also get advice on how to fix various things from firearms to automobiles etc.    You will get out of the site what you put into it.   I encourage people to become team members, but will accept all members as the same.  Paying should not be manditory.   I also encourage the people in other regions to set up monthly get togethers like the DFW Crew has been doing the last 2 months.  You will be able to meet people with various backgrounds and make friends and have a blast.   This site has a lot to offer a person that is willing to give it a chance.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
FFL+Gunsmith=not much extra money(and yes Im busy).
Im still waiting for Stealth to gift me a membership. Maby for christmas! Please! Please!
View Quote

You're getting some homemade beef jerky just like you get every year ya greedy bastard! [:D]

Now if I wasn't a house-ho and had a job, I'd give a bro a break.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I guess it was the $$$ factor.  I did make a donation to the "get search working again" fund.  Thanks Goatboy!! WOO HOO!

marm0t
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#46]
It took me awhile because I was:
1) too furkin' lazy
2) too furkin' cheap
3) took that long for me to make my kick-ass, wicked-bad sig pic (can't become a member without some kind of cool sig pic, ya know)
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:34:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Not to sound like a bleeting heart, I'm disabled and anyone who knows about it, knows disability doesn't pay a whole lot...

So, what do I do to help out?

I joined and just left it..I started really posting a bit around oct-nov of this year. I noticed a post about a shoot in Arizona on the 4th of Jan 2003 and my ears perked up because it's basically in my backyard. The range doesn't have bathrooms. I arranged to have 2 porta's delivered. I also decided to take donations for the use of said latrines... (Charge a "poop-tax") [(:)]

Anything over and above, and there should be some, will go to the board to help...

I can't afford membership, but I can help out in other ways.

Az_Redneck - The poop nazi!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top