Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
They will be confiscated.
There was a story a while back where a family inherited some rare gold coins, the feds stated that year was never issued so the coins were stolen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
He's fooked.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There was a story a while back where a family inherited some rare gold coins, the feds stated that year was never issued so the coins were stolen.
View Quote

Executive Order 6102 required any US gold coins in excess of $100 face value to be surrendered to the Federal Reserve on or before May 1, 1933 in exchange for $20.67 per troy ounce.

I wouldn't be surprised if the feds go after the coins on that basis.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Find gold coins.

STFU

Melt gold coins down into small bars.

Sell to gold buyers as needed for money.

People are fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
fucking ridiculous  

$27,000 face is about 1300 ounces or roughly 1.7 million, a lot of money but only 15% of the stated value, it would be fairly easy to get 50% of the ten million in a hurry and cut your losses with that or sell singles for full value over time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They most certainly would have had to melt the coins down.

Coins that recognizable would have drawn attention in short order anyways.
fucking ridiculous  

$27,000 face is about 1300 ounces or roughly 1.7 million, a lot of money but only 15% of the stated value, it would be fairly easy to get 50% of the ten million in a hurry and cut your losses with that or sell singles for full value over time.

Doesn't work like that.  No one would buy your story if you secretly sold them 1 at a time.  You have to tell people and tap multiple resources if you want more than spot value.  Gold is gold.  The plausible backstory of burial and discovery is the only thing separating these coins from modern day reproductions with a fake date stamp.  The money is in verifying the story.

That said, fuck that.  I'd be one coin melting sum'btich if I stumbled upon that hoard.  A tax free 2 million is enough to retire on.  Put it in the bond market.  Live off the interest.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Sad thing? Even Rick and the Old Man on Pawnstars wouldn't screw this couple as bad as Obama and Gov. Moonbeam.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I doubt they are the stolen coins. I have no doubt the government will try to take all or a cut
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What are the chances that this collection on the open market could seriously devalue someone's current collection?
View Quote

It's already happening..

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Haha stupid California liberals gonna get all their gold taken away!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They most certainly would have had to melt the coins down.

Coins that recognizable would have drawn attention in short order anyways.
View Quote

Not if you find a very wealthy coin collector who really wants them, one at a time. You might get invited for a nice luncheon at a mansion, and, why, look at that, you just found an investor for that company you meant to start, no profit or payback required.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are the chances that this collection on the open market could seriously devalue someone's current collection?
View Quote

I'd say it's a certainty.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Find gold coins.

STFU

Melt gold coins down into small bars.

Sell to gold buyers as needed for money.

People are fucking stupid.
View Quote

Unassayed gold? Where did you get that, citizen?

Probably safer to learn to make jewelry, then try to sell that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

As you mentioned, they coins were never issued, therefore the gov can prove ownership.
I believe they had been minted, and a few employees kept a few before the rest were melted.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Idiots should have kept their mouths shut.

Coins will be seized just like the last Double eagles that were found, stolen in the 30's by a mint employee.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'll never understand why people don't just shut the hell up when things like this happen.
View Quote

Yep. As soon as I saw the story I thought how stupid it was of them to have announced it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Won't be long before it gets taken away
View Quote

ABSOLUTELY.  What giant dumbasses these people were and they deserve what's going to happen to them for being so damned dumb.

"Oh, look honey.   A bunch of rare and valuable gold coins in rusted cans.  Quck!   Call the newspaper so we can let the whole world know about this and we can get our pictures in the paper!"

Again,  what giant dumbasses.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Here you go history channel, a story for the masses.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Now they will lose 100% of it.   They should have SHTF.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#19]
They should have "found" them at their vacation home in Alaska.  No income tax and it would not be in the correct area to be easily connected to stolen coins in SF.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Two things strike me as odd.
1. Walter Dimmick stole $20 Double Eagle coins the couple found coins in $5, $10 and $20 denominations.
2. Walter Dimmick stole the coins  at the San Francisco Mint the coins were found the Sierra Nevada area. That’s a long way to haul coins in 1901 two to three days on horseback.
Hell yes the federal government will try to get them we have an attorney general that believes he only has to enforce the laws he believes in.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Won't be long before it gets taken away

Quoted:
I'll never understand why people don't just shut the hell up when things like this happen.

This.. and that..
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know, as often as this topic has been duped and as often as its been explained, I'm amazed that people can't keep themselves from saying stupid crap like the above.

Now please, explain to the class how one profits from a find like this if they don't say anything about it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's difficult to dump a $1,000,000 coin on the market and not have anyone take notice.

Especially when you have over a thousand coins.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The couple should have shut up and said nothing about them, then dumped them on the market one at a time.

It's difficult to dump a $1,000,000 coin on the market and not have anyone take notice.

Especially when you have over a thousand coins.

Do-able.  Learn who the big league collectors are.  Trade, learn market, finally approach qualified collectors and sell masterpieces.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They weren't necessarily stolen from the Government.  The coins were found, but most likely, no one can prove one way or the other if they were stolen.  The government will likely seize them and make the claim.  The people should have sold off "Grandpa's Coin Collection"  a coin at a time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They weren't necessarily stolen from the Government.  The coins were found, but most likely, no one can prove one way or the other if they were stolen.  The government will likely seize them and make the claim.  The people should have sold off "Grandpa's Coin Collection"  a coin at a time.

I bring you

http://rt.com/usa/gold-coins-pennsylvania-family-626/

Because the government ordered the destruction of their entire supply of coins decades earlier, the court found that Switt’s family was illegally in possession of the stash. Even though they may had been presented to the dealer by a Philadelphia Mint staffer, Judge Davis agrees with last year’s ruling that Mr. McCann broke the law.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here is the problem with not telling anyone..

You would have only one way to sell the coins and make the money their rarity is worth.. On the black market.

Any that is a long, long shot.. Like leave the US and never come back..

The catch is getting the coins authenticated and graded.. If you send them to NGC or PCGS to be graded your screwed, games up.. So you would have to find a group of coin dealers to all put there names and reputations behind a black market coin to get a net grade and authentication..

Coin dealers in the US are bound to financial instatutions laws.. They have to report things like this.. And in the coin world you get one shot.. Any bad mark on your record and your blacklisted.. The whole thing runs on a crazy system of trust. The gov almost always figures out who was behind a coin found on the black market.. Even years down the road people do serious time for shit like this..

So you are not going to find a dealer or dealers in the US to help, and you can't get the coins graded.. Nobody is going to but a coin like that ungraded and raw.

So you have to leave the US and take a fraction of the real market value..

The family is doing things right.. The coins are being preserved and graded by the best in the coin world, the dealer they are using (a good guy) knows all about these kind of collections. He has lawyers and tax consultants as well as necessary security. This is not his first million dollar collection. They will get the coins graded and make an auction catalog and population report for the coins. Though when these coins are slabbed (put in sealed plastic) the PCGS grading tag will indicate they were part of this find.. Pedigree is important to coin nerds. They will market it up for a year or two and then make plenty at auction and selling to dealers. They will pay the taxes and still come out WAY ahead..

BTW - the dealer handling this find is a dirty Inky.. I once flew to San Fransisco from LA to deliver a single coin to him.. Met him at the airport and got back on a plane home.. Lets just say the value of the coin made the flight well worth it..
View Quote

you may be correct but showing up to grade a single coin would have not gotten so much attention. "Where did you get this?" "Oh i found it in Grandpas old steamer trunk in the attic."

Showing up with 10 million worth raises some eyebrows.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When you purchase your property isn't everything on it yours?  Just curious, I don't know the laws concerning that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the coins are found to be stolen, then it's okay to keep them and say nothing? Interesting, Arfcom does not hate thieves after all.
When you purchase your property isn't everything on it yours?  Just curious, I don't know the laws concerning that.  

When you purchase your property you SHOULD own everything on it, but, you don't.

If any increase in value is discovered you owe for that increase.

Oil and gas are two simple examples.

Not saying it is right, just pointing out our system's design.

TRG
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Idiots should have kept their mouths shut.

Coins will be seized just like the last Double eagles that were found, stolen in the 30's by a mint employee.

View Quote

The King Farouk coins are a much different set of events than what we have here.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#28]
A lot of "government is gonna terk em" hysterics based on cases that are completely different.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think that acronym means what you think it does.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Since these coins were in uncirculated condition, wouldn't the government have to prove the coins stolen were in such condition to even begin to have a case?
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, hey now. Let's all just SHTF and let him wallow in his bliss.

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I think what everyone is forgetting is that the unless this couple had this property passed down to them for generations I  bet someone is filling a lawsuit as we speak.   It's California.  Laws do not matter, emotions do.

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A lot of "government is gonna terk em" hysterics based on cases that are completely different.
View Quote

Ain't no hysterics... .Gov tries to steal stuff like this all the time. Look at what Mel Fischer had to go through when he found the Etoshia. Florida and the Feds tried to yank it right out from under him.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Doesn't work like that.  No one would buy your story if you secretly sold them 1 at a time.  You have to tell people and tap multiple resources if you want more than spot value.  Gold is gold.  The plausible backstory of burial and discovery is the only thing separating these coins from modern day reproductions with a fake date stamp.  The money is in verifying the story.

That said, fuck that.  I'd be one coin melting sum'btich if I stumbled upon that hoard.  A tax free 2 million is enough to retire on.  Put it in the bond market.  Live off the interest.
View Quote

True, just like eotech and aimpoints, there is a lot of fake shit coming out of china.  I even saw an article talking about buying gold bars and a warning. They are making gold bars with Tungsten pressed in between the gold to make the bars the right weight but only containing a fraction of the gold....
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

True, just like eotech and aimpoints, there is a lot of fake shit coming out of china.  I even saw an article talking about buying gold bars and a warning. They are making gold bars with Tungsten pressed in between the gold to make the bars the right weight but only containing a fraction of the gold....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

China is putting out fake coins in fake slabs with fake grading marks and fake holograms.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Here come the feds...

eta This story is getting more and more twisted every day.  I swear if I ever stumble upon a treasure I will NOT be making announcements and doing press releases.  Things will be slowly and quietly sold off.
View Quote

This.  

I would be selling them one by one as I needed the money.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Probably libs, so screw 'em. It does illustrate how shutting the fuck up about finding such things might be the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If the coins are found to be stolen, then it's okay to keep them and say nothing? Interesting, Arfcom does not hate thieves after all.
View Quote

If we're going to go back that far and make injured parties Whole, then I think you should give your home back to whoever your local Indian tribe use to own your land.

Fair is Fair, right?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here come the feds...

eta This story is getting more and more twisted every day.  I swear if I ever stumble upon a treasure I will NOT be making announcements and doing press releases.  Things will be slowly and quietly sold off.

This.  

lol

Some of these coins will go for 1 million or more, each.

Would you like to explain how you would sell off a million dollar coin without anyone knowing?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Ain't no hysterics... .Gov tries to steal stuff like this all the time. Look at what Mel Fischer had to go through when he found the Etoshia. Florida and the Feds tried to yank it right out from under him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, a completely different kind of case.  These coins came from private property.

It's the same as when I find a site on someone's property, all the artifacts belong to the land owner.  In this state they aren't allowed to dig in a site without a permit, but what I dig up with a permit goes to the land owner, no matter how fancy or valuable.

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

If your guns were stolen and dumped on my property, are they mine? I'm not a lawyer but my first guess would be they are still your guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your guns were stolen and dumped on my property, are they mine? I'm not a lawyer but my first guess would be they are still your guns.

If the thief has been dead so long that his grandchildren are geriatrics, yes, your guns fall into the "finders-keepers" category.

Your homeowners insurance will have replaced them so the insurer owns the guns, if they care to claim them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#43]
“We do not have any information linking the Saddle Ridge Hoard coins to any thefts at any United States Mint facility,” U.S. Mint spokesman Adam Stump said in a statement, adding that lawyers have looked into the matter.  
View Quote

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-no-claim-gold-coins-found-california-20140305,0,7043284.story
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
500 coins were supposedly stolen?  Over 1,400 coins were found?  All you that claim these are the stolen coins must not be able to do subtraction and addition or I am missing something.
View Quote

clearly the coins made coin love and had coin babies while they were cooped up together for all these years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#45]
bye bye coins.  easy to see where this is headed
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it is, For sale at auction since the U.S. Mint has declared the coins were never stolen from the mint.

The U.S. government will want them sold for the highest price possible because the taxes paid will be many times the gold value of any coins.  The government wins when the new owners sell.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#47]
I heard on the news yesterday that the coins were of many different denominations and many of these found coins have with dates different than the robbery. The coins that were stolen would all have the same mint markings. Also, the guy that stole the coins was forced to pay back the monetary value of the missing coins by selling his house long ago.

Win-Win for the finders. One of the reasons that they want to sell the coins so fast is that the IRS looks at any found money/treasure the exact same way as winning the lottery. They want their full 39% Fed tax and ~10% State tax ASAP.

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#48]
ill be surprised if the gov does not take it all..... the only thing i know about found treasure, is to keep your damn mouth shut.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep...especially when you read the whole thread....in which the US Mint states that these are not stolen coins.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol... facebook generation..

OHMERGAWD! ! ! !  look at the gold treasure i just dug up on my property ! ! ! 10 million ! ! !    

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top