Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2002 5:11:16 PM EDT
I need to know about Delta Force, and the special forces community in general.

My bloody English teacher told us to pick a dream career, so I was like "What the heck" and chose Delta Force opporative. Then, a few days later, she tells us that we have to find someone with with that career and actually interview them. Yeah. How exactly am I supposed to interview a member of a counter-terrorism group that doesn't officially exist?

Needless to say, any information you guys have on Delta would be appreciated.

Edited 'cause I'm pissed at school and can't type well at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you kidding?  Ex-Delta operatives are everywhere!  Go to your local gunshop and find the bearded, fat, middle-aged guy missing a tooth that the clerk keeps rolling his eyes at; strike up a conversation with this unassuming gentleman that walks with a limp and a cane... he's undoubtedly been on covert ops all over the world with the Delta guys, because, as he puts it, "the SEALs are a bunch of candyasses".

The limp you say?  Ah... the 'Nam.  I took two in the leg while I was taking out an NVA pillbox in the pu-tang valley back in '68.

Yes, Delta operators are not as hard to find as you might think.  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't even have to be totally accurate information. She won't know the difference. It just has to sound good. And halfway true would be good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a friend who just retired from the Army who was Delta (yes, no sh!t).  I'll e-mail him and ask if he'd answer your questions.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
How bout a Ranger or SF guy? They're everywhere and most are fairly easy to talk to. Just explain that you're doing a paper for school.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a friend who just retired from the Army who was Delta (yes, no sh!t).  I'll e-mail him and ask if he'd answer your questions.
View Quote

Thanks for helping. But, well, the thing is, she just emailed me telling me that the interview is due tomorrow (yes Monday). I thought we had Christmas break. But no, we have to go to school until the 18th. Complete randomness on the schedule. (Okay, okay. So I try not to listen to close in her class. But I really didn't know we had school tomorrow.)
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You aren't the first person put in such a predicament by some moron teacher. Some good advice has already been given in [url=http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19222]this thread[/url].

The references there, plus the interview KBaker may get you (you can always use the sit that first link led you to to determine for sure he's legit, also the books listed are all open-source, as an actual person may be more tight-lipped than needed, often not knowing what they CAN talk about) - oughta be what you need.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Now I'm feeling paranoid. Will I be violating some secret laws by making this paper?
The questions I have formulated are as follows. Maybe you guys can answer some of them.

1.What courses should I take in college to prepare for a career in Delta?

2. How long does it take to get qualified to join Delta?

3. What exactly are the qualifications for Delta?

4. What other questions should I be asking?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to go write now. I'll check here again in the morning. Thanks for all your help, guys.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
My friend isn't on-line tonight, apparently, so I don't think I'll get a response from him before tomorrow at the earliest.  

I can answer your first question, somewhat.  My friend dropped out of college after his first year and joined up.  He was regular army for a couple of years, and served a tour in Germany.  He then joined the 82nd Airborne so he could come home (he's a North Carolina native.)  He was Airborne for a year or two, then tried out for Delta.  He failed the first time because of a severely sprained ankle (didn't pass the physical endurance tests.)  He tried again the next time he could, and got in.  Getting into Delta requires a LOT of determination.

I'm certain that he's had a helluva lot of specific schooling, but to my knowledge he never went back to college and got a degree.  He retired as a Sergeant, I'm not sure at what level though. Sounds like you want to go officer.

I asked him one time what, exactly, he did.  He said "I get up and go to the base, do P.T. (physical training) for half the day, shoot for the other half, and go home.  And they PAY ME!"

I know he's been all over the world, and he's done some hairy sh!t he won't talk about, but mostly they train.  A lot.  They travelled out to Tucson for jump training (and, I think, ground assault practice on parked airliners at a nearby air park.)  I've seen his team practice at an indoor range with their .45's.  I wish I could shoot half as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Read Blackhawk Down and make it up. As far as college the guys in the sh!t are E-6 and above and came from either SF or more recently from the Rangers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Since your teacher is probably a liberal tree hugger anyway, don't sweat the accuracy stuff too much.  Just find a friend who will say he's been a Delta, put him down for a reference, and give him a copy of the paper to read from if he/she calls.
Not that I've ever done anything like that before.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
My luck held out. She's giving us the break to get the interview. (yeah that's likely. "Go interview someone over Christmas. And get it good.")
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Still haven't heard from my friend.  I'll let you know when/if I do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Very interesting. I would love to read some more about Delta. All I have so far are Charlie Beckwith and Eric Haney's books.

-T.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I was force recon. [bd]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#21]
My friend got back to me.
OK, here's your first answers:

[i]1.What courses should I take in college to prepare for a career in Delta?[/i]

ANY - We had Rocket Scientist (no kidding - guy was an Aeronautical Engineer) down to High School dropouts - I do recommend cross country running, and weight lifting - two apparently conflicting sports but they can work together. Math is always a plus, the higher the better. A language is good (some say "cute") and it does help to get to Special Forces. But the UNIT doesn't require it (they do not send you over to another country to "talk" to people)

[i]2. How long does it take to get qualified to join Delta?[/i]

6 Years of active service, minimum rank of
Sergeant or Captain. I recommend Special Forces or Ranger backgrounds but the unit takes all - I was a Radar Technician.

[i]3. What exactly are the qualifications for Delta?[/i]

Male, US Army, 6 years of service or on second
enlistment, US Citizen (this is not as obvious as it seems - I know men who are not US Citizens and are still in the US Army), GT Score of 115 or higher (got to have some smarts), cannot be color blind, other
physical stuff....

[i]4. What other questions should I be asking?[/i]

What is my motivation? Why do I want to do this? I can tell you its a long hard ride. If you want to do it to push yourself that may not be enough. There are plenty of other physical and mental "tests" out there to satisfy any personal "quest" (the Iron Man Triathalon springs to mind or the Eco-Challenge).

Membership in the unit can be yours for the small cost of a "Butt Load" of pain.

It does have rewards though....:-)

Hope this helps!
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I was in a special "black Ops" unit that doesnt exist, so I cant tell you about it...

Find anybody in the military and ask em-she wont know the diff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Alright! Thanks KBaker! And everybody, thanks for the tips and thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Read "Inside Delta Force" by Eric L. Haney

Prettce decent book and an easy read.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Read "Inside Delta Force" by Eric L. Haney

Pretty good book and an easy read.

It is a chronological story of his time in delta force so it would be a good source for your paper.

Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#26]
OK I have a book called US Special Forces
It covers Airborne Rangers
Delta
And Navy SEALs
If you want to know somthing specific I can look it up for you it pritty much covers it all so be specific and Ill look it up for ya. I know where you are at I just got out of HS and know all about the write papers BS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top