Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/14/2002 2:55:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:40:42 AM EDT
I grew up with the space program. My father worked for IBM's Federal Systems Division as a QC tech on the Instrument Unit of the Saturn V, and we lived just across the Indian River from the Kennedy Space Center from 1966 until 1974. I am [i]eternally[/i] pissed off that the investment we made in the race to the moon was essentially abandoned after we actually [i]got[/i] there. The Shuttle? 1970's technology. The International Space Station? Should have been orbiting by 1979. Hell, we should have a self-supporting (even [i]exporting[/i]) colony on the moon [i]NOW[/i]. Instead, we have to reinvent the technologies necessary to get us back to the moon - a place we haven't visited in [size=3][b][i]THIRTY FREAKING YEARS![/i][/b][/size=3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:44:25 AM EDT
[snicker, snicker] You don't really believe that astronauts went to the moon using 60's technology do you? What a bunch of gullible rubes!
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:45:25 AM EDT
Its all PAN-AM's fault.. they went out of business.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:47:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker: Hell, we should have a self-supporting (even [i]exporting[/i]) colony on the moon [i]NOW[/i].
View Quote
I agree 100%!! The money in cheese sales alone would pay for years of space exploration. SGtar15
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:48:49 AM EDT
I fondly remember the Apollo 17 launch - the only night launch of the Apollo program. Cronkite was downright misty-eyed aas he called the last mission to the moon. I agree. The time is past due for a manned return to the moon, and a manned mission to Mars. Nowadays, the term "space-age" refers to something long obsolete. I'd sure like to see that change.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:43:50 PM EDT
The problem, in a nutshell, is the the Space Program is a GOVERNMENT program. If FDR had announced a national effort to development TV by the end of the 30s, we'd all still be listening to big console radios. [rolleyes]
Top Top