Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2002 4:38:27 PM EDT
When the hell did we become "A-MUR-i-cans"? That's all I hear on the news anymore. Drives me insane. Proud to be an Am-AIR-i-can, Aaron (we all know how to pronounce Uranus, right?)
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:43:07 PM EDT
NEWS IN BRIEF [b]Area Man Lives To Correct Pronunciation[/b] LAWRENCE, KS—According to irritated friends and acquaintances, Jim Marder, 43, lives to correct pronunciation. "Actually, the word is 'Ant-[i]arc[/i]-tic," Marder told coworker Amy Dennon during a conversation about polar-ice-cap melting Monday. "Don't feel bad: Pronouncing it 'Antartic' is a fairly common mistake." Said Dennon: "He's always doing that: 'Actually, the word is 'affida-[i]vit[/i].' 'Actually, the word is '[i]pre[/i]-rogative.' 'Actually, the word is 'sher-[i]bet[/i].' Every time, he plays it all casual, but you can tell he's loving it. Dick."
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:57:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:01:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2002 5:01:37 PM EDT by Red-Leg]
Don't forget our fearless leader and his mis-pronouncing nuclear. It's NOT [b]NUCULER[/B]!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:21:27 PM EDT
Red-Leg- It's not just our fearless leader, I hear the "nuclear" mispronunciation way to often - and it never ceases to annoy me...
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:21:51 PM EDT
so.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:24:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2002 5:32:50 PM EDT by Silence]
Call me insane. Even though it is 'correct'. I cant stand the word 'pleaded'. It just grates on my nerves whenever I hear it on the news. 'Pled' sounds so much better, to me at least.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:36:35 PM EDT
Jeez, it's not pronounced "so" - It's pronounced "Sew"!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:43:49 PM EDT
So this has become a bitch post. OK, here it goes: He did well. Well is an adverb. He did a good job. Good is an adjective. He did good. Poor English. (unless you are using good as a noun) Ah, now I feel better. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2002 5:48:55 PM EDT by DoubleFeed]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:53:27 PM EDT
I love to hear Jimmy Cater say "New-Clear-ur"
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:04:33 PM EDT
The one that bugs me is when people pronounce the "T" in often. The "T" is silent.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:06:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2002 6:07:40 PM EDT by Kar98]
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: Originally Posted By Ratters: So[red],[/red] this has become a bitch post. O[red]kay[/red], here it goes:
View Quote
Uhmm, 2xF, you shouldn't attempt to fix other people's spelling :P My "Unabridged Merriam-Webster" gives "okay" merely as a variant of "OK", so both are correct; especially since "OK" is an abbreviation of oll korrect, a facetious alteration of all correct that dates back to 1839.
He did good. Poor English.[red]<--sentance fragment[/red] (unless you are using good as a noun)
View Quote
Bad, Doublefeed, bad! It's "sentence", not sentance.
Ah, now I feel better.
View Quote
Ha, ask me how [i]I[/i] feel now :) PS: You can bet your ass I'm going to run the spell check before I hit [Submit].
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:18:05 PM EDT
Well, I hate it when something "impacted" something else. Talk about poor use of English! New-q-leer, it's pronounced new-q-leer. --Homer Simpson
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:21:15 PM EDT
The one that bugs me is when people pronounce the "T" in often. The "T" is silent.
View Quote
Either or.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2002 6:32:30 PM EDT by gman552]
Originally Posted By trickshot: Well, I hate it when something "impacted" something else. Talk about poor use of English!
View Quote
When I think of "impacted", I think of poor SOB's who go to the emergency room unable to take a dump. My wife (an ER nurse) calls them "FOS" (Full Of S**t). I think "affected" is a better choice than "impacted." And "effected" (to cause something to happen) is not a frikkin' synonym for "affected." For example, "Monica's oral ministrations effected the sudden release of Bill's 'dreaded sperm buildup.'" Gabe
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:34:07 PM EDT
One new pronunciation that is annoying the hell out of me is the new Snowmobile from Canada. Bombadier is the name if the machine. We pronounce it as "Bom-ba-deer" The Canadians have their own way of pronounciation so they call it "bomb-BAR-D-A" Its not a peeve but I hate to think that now everybody will be using the Frenck pronounciation from now on. Don't get me started on the word Leupold! BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2002 6:42:13 PM EDT by Bradd_D]
How about "orientated"? BTW, I say Lay-a-pold because that's how a German would pronounce it and it's a German word. Bradd
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:51:38 PM EDT
but
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 7:23:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:15:02 PM EDT
You guys are anal. All I hate is cats. Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:22:11 PM EDT
What in the hell are you guys talking abooot?
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:06:17 PM EDT
Your and you're. Its and it's. Those kill me, I don't know how many people do that, it's ridiculous. Navy ROTC Guy
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:17:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB: so.
View Quote
You say so but.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:39:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BISHOP: Don't get me started on the word Leupold! BISHOP
View Quote
L-uu-pold, not Leopold
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 9:48:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 12:03:53 AM EDT
Leupold is pronounced LEU-pold. I think we already had a discussion on this, and it was the makers Mr.Leupold in an interview said his own name, or something... BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 12:15:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kar98: NEWS IN BRIEF [b]Area Man Lives To Correct Pronunciation[/b] LAWRENCE, KS—According to irritated friends and acquaintances, Jim Marder, 43, lives to correct pronunciation. "Actually, the word is 'Ant-[i]arc[/i]-tic," Marder told coworker Amy Dennon during a conversation about polar-ice-cap melting Monday. "Don't feel bad: Pronouncing it 'Antartic' is a fairly common mistake." Said Dennon: "He's always doing that: 'Actually, the word is 'affida-[i]vit[/i].' 'Actually, the word is '[i]pre[/i]-rogative.' 'Actually, the word is 'sher-[i]bet[/i].' Every time, he plays it all casual, but you can tell he's loving it. Dick."
View Quote
Thanks, Kar', for posting this. Read this in print tonight, and thought just like you after reading Tras' post. Funny. IMHO
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 12:29:01 AM EDT
Leupold is pronounced LEU-pold. I think we already had a discussion on this, and it was the makers Mr.Leupold in an interview said his own name, or something...
View Quote
There you go thinking. Call 503-526-1400 and listen to how the telephone is answered.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 12:50:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2002 12:52:31 AM EDT by TheKill]
The one that really gets me cranked is "orientated". This word is commonly used in the media and all over, by people WAAAAAY more educated than me. How do they graduate? Um, excuse me, but that's ORIENTED. Thank you. I will now get off my soapbox! [soapbox] Edited to correct grammar!
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:26:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 4:58:51 AM EDT
[rant] [b]You know what pisses me off???[/b] People who "Continentalize" countries. We are Americans, but we are citizens of the United States of America (US citizens). Mexicans are Americans. So are Canadians. If you want to get picky, we are North Americans. Are Hawaiians American? They are probably US Citizens.... Also - Why is it that people call ONLY east-Asians "Asian"??? What about Russians? They are Asian too! I love Asian girls (the Russian blondes). And why are the east-Asians offended if, in fact they are from Asia, when we call them "Asian"? [/rant]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:25:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bradd_D: How about "orientated"?
View Quote
Yep, that's one that drives me nuts as well. It's along the same lines as "irregardless". Here's a clue for those out there who may use these two "words" [size=4][red][b]THEY'RE NOT WORDS![/b][/red][/size=4] [;D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:41:02 AM EDT
So keep your eyes closed and don't listen. All will be solved.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:41:08 AM EDT
I am probably the last person who should be saying anything negative about pronunciation, spelling, or diction, but.......... Bret FAVRE. How the fuck do you get far v out of f-a-v-r-e? In Louisiana we say fav-re'. I know it's just our Acadian heritage to pronounce a French name as such. This is way down on my list of shit to worry about but it fits this post.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:47:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By trickshot: Well, I hate it when something "impacted" something else. Talk about poor use of English!
View Quote
I HATE THAT ONE MOST OF ALL! Impact is NOT a verb! People use it that way all the time around me and it drive me up the wall.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:50:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By armabill: So keep your eyes closed and don't listen. All will be solved.
View Quote
Well, that's true, I'm not the language police, and I don't correct anybody who may be using words incorrectly or mispronouncing them. That would be pretty damn rude of me. However, if it's my kid or anyone else I'm responsible for teaching, I will gently correct them (making sure, of course, that *I'm* not making a mistake myself.) "Do it for the children!" [;)] Gabe
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:52:16 AM EDT
People who don't know how to pronounce the consonants in a work. Properly it is Bom bar deer
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:53:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2002 7:54:06 AM EDT by dave223]
Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy: There you go thinking.
View Quote
There you go being yourself again. I wish Arfcom had an "ignore user" option.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:58:37 AM EDT
I have to reorientate the antennas on my TEE-vee so I can watch Wimbleton. I live near a nucular power plant and the chimleys block the reception. It's better if I'm nekkid, though. Irregardless, spelling and grammar is not a mute point. Time for a brake.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:09:58 AM EDT
This is prolly the gratest threard I've ever red! Say - How do you pronounce: Michael Bellesiles? (acceptable answers already taken include: [i]Broh-can Dow-n Fr-aw-d[/i] & [i]Loo-hoo-ooh-ooh-zer[/i] Seriously though, any guesses on how to pronounce his last name?
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:36:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
View Quote
I HATE THAT ONE MOST OF ALL! Impact is NOT a verb! People use it that way all the time around me and it drive me up the wall.
View Quote
yeah - I hate it when people [b]verb[/b] their nouns!!! [;)] examples: 1. "party" is NOT a verb 2. "verb" is not a verb
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:38:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Tras: When the hell did we become "A-MUR-i-cans"? That's all I hear on the news anymore. Drives me insane. Proud to be an Am-AIR-i-can, Aaron (we all know how to pronounce Uranus, right?)
View Quote
Yeah, like how some say Illinoize! I tell them that there is only one. SHEESH!! AB
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:41:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By slt223: What in the hell are you guys talking abooot?
View Quote
Abooot is Canidadian. [:D] AB
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:43:49 AM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
Tell that to your dentist the next time you're diagnosed with an impacted tooth! I'm telling you right now, an [b]impacted[/b] tooth hurts like a "sumbitch"!
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:15:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Red-Leg:
View Quote
View Quote
Tell that to your dentist the next time you're diagnosed with an impacted tooth! I'm telling you right now, an [b]impacted[/b] tooth hurts like a "sumbitch"!
View Quote
Wouldn't "impacted" in your example be an adjective? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:15:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By albob: Yeah, like how some say Illinoize! I tell them that there is only one. SHEESH!! AB
View Quote
What about (abooot for the Canucks)those of us who do know the correct pronunciation for Illinois but insist on saying it Illinoize out of obnoxiousness & contrariness? If the word is foreign, esp French then all bets are off.. I know sabot is 'say-bow' but just can't bring myself the pronounce it the correct fruity, frog way. [:E]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:23:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DK-Prof: Impact is NOT a verb!
View Quote
Au contraire, mon frere. From [url]www.m-w.com[/url] Main Entry: 1 im·pact Pronunciation: im-'pakt Function: verb Etymology: Latin impactus, past participle of impingere to push against -- more at IMPINGE Date: 1601 transitive senses 1 a : to fix firmly by or as if by packing or wedging b : to press together 2 a : to have an impact on : impinge on b : to strike forcefully; also : to cause to strike forcefully intransitive senses 1 : to have an impact 2 : to impinge or make contact especially forcefully - im·pac·tive /im-'pak-tiv/ adjective - im·pac·tor also im·pact·er /-t&r/ noun
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:31:30 AM EDT
I'm afraid "Ill-in-oyz" is [b]a[/b] correct pronunciation of "Illinois". It's an either/or usage for the name of the State - but specific to the Native American tribe that occupied the land between the Wabash and the Mississippi as well as their Algonquian language. Not to be confused with the Wisconsin State Patrol acronym: FISH-TAB (which of course stands for [i]Fucking Illinoise Shit Head Towing A Boat[/i])
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:35:29 AM EDT
How about irregardless????!!! that gets me going. Or feeling badly, instead of bad. Or, in regards to??!!Maybe I'm just cranky because I'm babysitting the new pooch instead of going to the Medina Co Funshow. He does look quite content now. He's sound asleep ,laying against my new Browning safe!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top