BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jamie had been bitten 7 previous times, and had never received medical attention..   He was bitten by a timber rattler, on his forearm, and went home to pray about it...  Family members called 911 against his will.. EMS arrived at the church after he left, and went to his house.. He spoke with EMS and Police and refused to get medical treatment.. An hour later, they were called back to his house, where he was pronounced dead...

He survived 7 times before, but this one got him...
View Quote

What do the others of the church think/feel since he did in fact die this time?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
They feel that A.) He was not living a Christian lifestyle, so the lord punished him..  Or B.)The devil took him in an attempt to sway the beliefs of the congregation..

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm guessing it was a horridus?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of snake kills you in a couple of hours?
Rattlesnakes can do that.

I'm guessing it was a horridus?
Correct

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jamie had been bitten 7 previous times, and had never received medical attention..   He was bitten by a timber rattler, on his forearm, and went home to pray about it...  Family members called 911 against his will.. EMS arrived at the church after he left, and went to his house.. He spoke with EMS and Police and refused to get medical treatment.. An hour later, they were called back to his house, where he was pronounced dead...

View Quote

As i understand it, venomous snakes don't always inject their venom, referred to as a "Dry bite" Which may have been what happened before.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't think so unless you had a hypersensitivity reaction to the venom.

Some people are allergic to the venom itself and may have either an immediate or delayed reaction to a bite.  If he had been bitten by the same species before, the odds of an allergic response are higher.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As i understand it, venomous snakes don't always inject their venom, referred to as a "Dry bite" Which may have been what happened before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly, or possibly God watched over him..
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God gave him a brain too, he should've used it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with you..  If you play with fire, eventually you will get burned...

I am just saying, something is happening that people can survive somethings sometimes..
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Some people are allergic to the venom itself and may have either an immediate or delayed reaction to a bite.  If he had been bitten by the same species before, the odds of an allergic response are higher.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's true.  But venom itself could have easily done the job if he received a significant amount.  Could also be a combination of both.

Timber rattlesnakes would probably kill less than 10% in untreated bites.  When someone is a professional at getting bit, they are going to get a real bad one sooner or later.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Doesn't the Bible say not to tempt the Lord thy God. I'm being serious as I'm a Christian.

What they do sounds a lot like what Satan said to Jesus in the desert.
View Quote

Yep.  First thing that came to my mind.  Don't tempt the Lord thy God.

Sometimes foolishness hurts.  In some cases like this, though... it doesn't tend to hurt all that long.  Heck.. sometimes it's instantaneous.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow, that bites.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I agree with you..  If you play with fire, eventually you will get burned...

I am just saying, something is happening that people can survive somethings sometimes..
View Quote

There are MANY variables when it comes to envenomation.
I know a lot of people who have been envenomated, one gentleman in particular...10 times. All are still alive.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Gods will.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interpretation or mis interpretation of :

http://biblehub.com/mark/16-18.htm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doesn't the Bible say not to tempt the Lord thy God. I'm being serious as I'm a Christian.

What they do sounds a lot like what Satan said to Jesus in the desert.

Interpretation or mis interpretation of :

http://biblehub.com/mark/16-18.htm

It's not so much a misinterpretation but a general lack of understanding of the Holy Spirit and the purpose of miracles.  Basically, it's taking a verse on its own and holding it up outside the rest of the scripture.

Result is, well, bulls and horns, games and prizes and I guess in this case, snakes and fangs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep.  You'll notice they use mostly copperheads and some rattlers, but none of them are dumb enough to use cottonmouths.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe they should stick with copperheads.  

Yep.  You'll notice they use mostly copperheads and some rattlers, but none of them are dumb enough to use cottonmouths.

If they were really smart, they'd milk them just before services.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They feel that A.) He was not living a Christian lifestyle, so the lord punished him..  Or B.)The devil took him in an attempt to sway the beliefs of the congregation..

View Quote

Wow, just wow!  So des the son step into his dads shoes at the pulpit?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be cheating.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He was actually a very nice guy, and a hard worker(coal miner)...    Copperheads are rarely used, mostly rattlesnakes(eastern, timber, the occasional pigmy).

Contrary to popular belief, snake handling is NOT extremely common around here..  I can think of maybe 10 churches in southeast Kentucky that practice it..

I am from Harlan, the very same Harlan portrayed in Justified..

And I have a good friend who was actually features on National Geographics "Snake Salvation"..

Questions??
View Quote

I now live just on the other side of the tunnel but I grew up in Arjay and knew the Coots family as well. People can say what they want about their beliefs, and they are out there, but you'll not find better people. I ran into him outside the mboro KU a month or so ago and chatted with him for a minute but was in a hurry. I'll miss him.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That would be cheating.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be cheating.  

They cheat anyway.  Some preacher from one of those churches that believes the Holy Spirit still grants special boons to people today got a crowd together to go down to the funeral home because, through him, the Holy Spirit was going to raise someone from the dead.  Well, another preacher who understood the Bible went down there with them.  Right before the guy started summoning the Holy Spirit (or whatever they do), this other preacher told him to hang on a second, walked over to the casket then busted out a really large hat pin.  Turns out that the hat pin was enough to raise the guy, so no need to disturb the Holy Spirit's weekend.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That's true.  But venom itself could have easily done the job if he received a significant amount.  Could also be a combination of both.

Timber rattlesnakes would probably kill less than 10% in untreated bites.  When someone is a professional at getting bit, they are going to get a real bad one sooner or later.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand why folks don't understand this.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#22]
It also doesn't say out of how many times that he was bitten were dry bites.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Haha. Dumbass. Too bad he's already reproduced.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#24]
The snakes in the bible are not American rattlesnakes, just saying.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I cut my teeth on Snake Bite Therapy at a OKC Hospital back in the early 90's. it seems that the area around Guthrie was ripe with several Churches of the Serpent. some would seek treatment, others wouldn't.

I've worked on a couple of hundred of Copperhead and Cottonmouth bites and dozens of Diamond Back bites in my career. Diamond Back bites are truly nasty.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Does his congregation feel he was not "anointed by Gods power".
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When someone is a professional at getting bit, they are going to get a real bad one sooner or later.  
View Quote

I mentioned in an earlier post that I know a guy who has been bitten 10 times. He "rode" a lot of them out, not seeking medical attention. I was present and witnessed him being bitten by a neonate mitchelli on one occasion. He rode that one out, only experiencing some slight swelling and minor discomfort.
His next envenomation was from a 5' atrox that I had given him as a newborn. He attempted to ride that one out, and it almost cost him his life.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Their high preists told them do not fear the white mans bullets as they will just pass right through you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't the Zulus believe that the white devils' bullets couldn't harm them?

Their high preists told them do not fear the white mans bullets as they will just pass right through you.

I guess he was right about the second part, wasn't he?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I mentioned in an earlier post that I know a guy who has been bitten 10 times. He "rode" a lot of them out, not seeking medical attention. I was present and witnessed him being bitten by a neonate mitchelli on one occasion. He rode that one out, only experiencing some slight swelling and minor discomfort.

His next envenomation was from a 5' atrox that I had given him as a newborn. He attempted to ride that one out, and it almost cost him his life.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When someone is a professional at getting bit, they are going to get a real bad one sooner or later.  

I just don't get people who play around with a bite like that.  So much can go wrong.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does his congregation feel he was not "anointed by Gods power".
View Quote

It'll be interesting to see who takes his place ...
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Agree with the man or not, he was a very good man..  He believed firmly in his beliefs and never tried to pressure them on anyone..  He was there if you wanted to ask him questions, but he didn't look down upon you if you did not..

We all have our religions.. In the end all we can do is hope we are right, and the rest are wrong...

For the record, I am not a snake handler, pentecostal, COD, etc.... I am down home Methodist...

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't the Zulus believe that the white devils' bullets couldn't harm them?

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Of course our resident anti-theists made a Christian bashing thread on Sunday.
View Quote

Aaaaaand we're off!
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just don't get people who play around with a bite like that.  So much can go wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know either.
He was bitten in the left hand. It wasn't until the swelling had gone up his left arm, across his shoulders and down his right arm that he decided medical attention might be in order. He did suffer some permanent disfiguration from that one, and was lucky to get off that easy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#35]
This is just painful to watch.

NSFkids...there's some gore when they show his finger that "fell off" from a previous bite.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Insha' Allah.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

NSFkids...there's some gore when they show his finger that "fell off" from a previous bite.

http://youtu.be/k1-BhaX5GSE
View Quote

Apparently, Darwin has had his eye on him for a while.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/k1-BhaX5GSE

In my time chasing crots, I've only ever had one close call and that was nearly stepping on a c. ruber while I was climbing around rock piles that had lot of high grass.  

Seeing people free handle (religious or not) just makes me cringe.  It's not a matter of if, but when.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

In my time chasing crots, I've only ever had one close call and that was nearly stepping on a c. ruber while I was climbing around rock piles that had lot of high grass.  

Seeing people free handle (religious or not) just makes me cringe.  It's not a matter of if, but when.
View Quote

Let me ask you a question...  Keeping in mind that there is no ice, tranquilizers, etc, used on these snakes, HOW do they do it?  

I understand that as they handle the snakes they become used to it, and semi-tame..  But they also handle wild caught snakes just the same..

You seem to know snakes.. How do they do it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#40]
When these guys die, which they occasionally do, how do the church's/congregations rationalize the fact that their pastor died ?

I assume they have to put some kind of propaganda spin on the death or do they just say "He was no longer anointed and had to die because he sucked" ? How does this play out? I've never seen or heard that part after the fact.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Timber rattlesnakes (especially) and copperheads just aren't all that prone to biting, and even less so once they are picked up.  They are too concerned with why the hell they are in the air and where they are going, kind of a sensory overload.   Picking them up to begin with is the more dangerous part, same with waving things around in front of them while they are being held.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Let me ask you a question...  Keeping in mind that there is no ice, tranquilizers, etc, used on these snakes, HOW do they do it?  

I understand that as they handle the snakes they become used to it, and semi-tame..  But they also handle wild caught snakes just the same..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snakes are just fickle.  I read a story about a high school class where a teacher mistook a cottonmouth for a water snake and put it in her class room.  Students had been handling said snake for hours before it finally bit one of them.

That being said, I have no idea because if my experience and seeing them handled by others (both professional & idiot) they are unpredictable.  I don't know anything of the snake handlers but I doubt they drug them or anything.  My only guess would be that they are kept at much lower temperatures that make them a bit more lethargic...outside of that...dumb luck?  

ETA:  And see above, WINDUSTSEARCH knows his stuff.  I have never been around anything venemous outside of CA/AZ so I don't know anything first hand about the ones these churches in the east/south use.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#43]
The snakes never become tame or used to it. They are, and always will be, wild animals.
The snakes bite when they feel threatened. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often than it does. Perhaps it does, and we just don't hear about the non lethal bites?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Snakes are just fickle.  I read a story about a high school class where a teacher mistook a cottonmouth for a water snake and put it in her class room.  Students had been handling said snake for hours before it finally bit one of them.

View Quote
I don't understand how anyone can mis-ID those two.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#45]
I am picturing the trailer scene from Kill Bill part II.

Gargantuan.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The snakes never become tame or used to it. They are, and always will be, wild animals.

The snakes bite when they feel threatened. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often than it does. Perhaps it does, and we just don't hear about the non lethal bites?
View Quote
Do you ever watch Viperkeeper on youtube?  He has a Jamison's Mamba and a King that both seem pretty damn tame.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do you ever watch Viperkeeper on youtube?  He has a Jamison's Mamba and a King that both seem pretty damn tame.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I don't.
And ironically, neither of those are Viperidae. lol
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't either and if I was in a position like that, I would be damn sure I knew what I was putting in my classroom.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the 3rd person I know of in my lifetime..   I did not personally know this man, but the other 2, I did...

The other 2 were about 10 years ago...  

The first one was a very Godly man..  Unless someone told you, you didn't know he handled snakes..  He was bitten on Easter Sunday and went home and died..  His son took the church over... Exactly one year later, the son was bitten, on Easter Sunday... He also went home and died..  

Neither was nationally publicized..  Had National Geographic not done the show on Jamie Coots, his would not have been either...

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't either and if I was in a position like that, I would be damn sure I knew what I was putting in my classroom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top