Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2002 3:39:12 PM EDT
Do they not like each other or something? I don't recall anything nasty happening between the two. Or is this just a power play by Bush to become the SOLE leader of the Republican Party instead of operating by comittee with the Senate Leader and Speaker? Who is it that would replace Lott as Majority Leader and why would Bush prefer them over Lott? Who in the Senate would be a better "Yes man" than Lott for that leadership role?
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:44:45 PM EDT
the Prez is doing the CYA thing. i wouldnt say he was siding with the Demonrats. you have to agree, what Lott said was a little insensitive in today's PC America, although it wouldnt be IMO something he should leave his post for. Even the Prez agrees he wouldnt be looking for Lott to step down.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:51:46 PM EDT
For the exact same reasons he critisized Clinton's administration. He takes a poll before he ever says or does anything. (Why do you think the policy towards Iraq changed from "regime change" to "remove WMD threat"?) He has smelled which way the wind is blowing, and is going along with it, instead of saying [b]"Leave the man alone. WTF do you think a democracy is about anyway? Let Lott's VOTERS decide whether or not he should leave office next time he is up for re-election."[/b] Why is it that people don't get that?
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:31:07 PM EDT
Lott stuck his foot so far in his mouth it fell out of his ass. This isn't the first time he made that statement. Any hell he catches because of it is deserved. If he meant what he said, he should resign. If he didn't, he needs a good pounding to drive home the importance of thinking before opening his mouth.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:42:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Delta_3_63: Lott stuck his foot so far in his mouth it fell out of his ass. This isn't the first time he made that statement. Any hell he catches because of it is deserved. If he meant what he said, he should resign. If he didn't, he needs a good pounding to drive home the importance of thinking before opening his mouth.
View Quote
Precisely what I was going to say, with one exception: He needs to resign as Senate Majority Leader regardless. He's a liability there now. Personally, I'm glad Bush responded the way he did. He was right to.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:00:21 PM EDT
I would say it's because Lott is a racist and he is having a hard time hiding that after his recent statements. He is a liability and Bush is unwilling to spend ANY political capital on him.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:20:41 PM EDT
This whole episode has sort of a choreographed "feel" to it. Seems to me that Lott should be way too smart to say something that stupid by accident (a second time no less!...which may mean he really is an idiot). Thing is, I can't imagine what the repubs have to gain by crucifying Lott...unless they want to prove how PC and unbigoted they are by pounding a stake through Lott's heart. Oh well, why should I suspect something that simultaneously involves politics and gross stupidity? [rolleyes] -Kevin
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:20:46 PM EDT
I agree with the above posts -- Lott should not be leading the Senate. Liberals have been bashing conservatives asking "can't you people police yourselves?" Well, we know they can't, but they're now throwing it back in the face of conservatives. The Republicans don't need this liability going into a new opportunity in leadership.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:39:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:42:39 PM EDT
I think the main issue is Lott has been weak in the Senate. Remember his "Shared Power" scheme on committees. If you listen to Rush and the other commentators Lott has not been effective in pushing the Presidents agenda.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:02:32 PM EDT
lott isn't as racist as the black caucus. could you imagine if the media made the same kinda hoopla everytime sharpton said something? even if it was when he says something SEMI-racist?
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:16:50 PM EDT
No one can side with an imbecile who makes a remark like that. Just as no one can condone a priest molesting a kid. Right and wrong are not hard to discern. Just because others do PI things as with Jesse Jackson saying New York was "Hymie-town" and Democratic Senator Robert Byrd, the ex-Klansman showed his true colors when asked by Fox News Sunday morning talk show host Tony Snow about the state of race relations in America. Sen. Byrd warned: "There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I'm going to use that word. We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much." People are not stupid. Just because the media wants to show things as they want them to be doesn't mean they can. Everyone can think for themselves and should do so.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:38:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2002 7:40:11 PM EDT by Max_Mike]
Let Lott's VOTERS decide whether or not he should leave office next time he is up for re-election.
View Quote
Right, but as a Republican from another state I do not want to see him representing the NATIONAL Republican Party in the Senate as Majority Leader. If Mississippi wants to keep him in the Senate that is up to them. But his big mount and past history should cost him Majority Leader. I do not care what Democrats do they can let Byrd get away with that kind of racist crap if the want to, the Republican Party should do the right thing. TxDoc is right the people can see the difference.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:48:55 PM EDT
... Plain & simple, Lott fucked up by a slip of the tongue. Bush is covering his ass by distancing himself from racists. ... I would do the same.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:36:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2002 8:39:40 PM EDT by pogo]
why?????? because Bush has spent alot of money, time, and effort and conservative political capital in trying to strip away minority voters away from the Dems. Waaaaay to much, if my opinion matters. What do you thing "Compassionate COnservatism" is all about? That dumbass Lott is blowing away several hard years of work by Bush to expand the Republican party base and strip away votors from the democratic party. Any more lip from Lott will write the dem's 2004 political campaigns. If Lott was in a hospital, they would pull the plug on him. No brain activity for years. Dumbass.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2002 8:41:00 PM EDT by The_Macallan]
Which current Senator said and did these choice nuggets of racial hatred and bigotry without even a whimper of objection from the Democrats: * Said on Fox News Sunday with Tony Snow in March 2001, "There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I'm going to use that word." * Was an active member of the Ku Klux Klan and was a "Kleagle" - an official recruiter for the Klan. * He said he joined because it "offered excitement" and because the Klan was an "effective force" in "promoting traditional American values." * He filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act to try to block its passage. * He opposed the nominations of the Supreme Court's only two black justices, liberal Thurgood Marshall and conservative Clarence Thomas. * He once vowed never to fight "with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." * Three years AFTER leaving the Klan he wrote, "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia" and "in every state in the Union." Who is this racist ex-Klansman Senator who opposed granting Blacks basic civil rights and who opposed BOTH of the only two black Supreme Court Justices in history (one a liberal the other a conservative) and who STILL uses the term "nigger" on national TV without even a peep coming from Jesse Jackass, Queasy MoFo or any of the other hypocritical Democrat Leaders who are now calling for Lott's resignation???
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:57:39 PM EDT
If if Lott resigns the senate due to the humilation...and the dem gov appoints another dem to take his place... Dasshole will be back in power
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:04:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 9divdoc: If if Lott resigns the senate due to the humilation...and the dem gov appoints another dem to take his place... Dasshole will be back in power
View Quote
Actually, there are currently 51 Republicans, 48 Democrats, and 1 Ind.. (jim "the traitor" jeffords) Even if Lott left the Senate, which won't happen, and was replaced by a Dem, you still sit at 50-50 if jeffords organizes with the dems, which he would. Cheney, as president of the senate, breaks any tie. Republicans maintain control. Lott will stay in the senate, he might step down from leadership, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:39:28 PM EDT
It may be time for a new leader. Possibly someone more aggressive who can actually make some things happen...like the sunset of the AWB. Lott seemed too accomodating when he had the power last time. Remember the bipartisan staffing on commitees and the thanks we got for it? As soon as the Dems got the majority back they forgot all the bipartisan crap and went to playing their games. Maybe Bush's nominees can get through commitee now and we can get some fairer judges.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 5:01:51 AM EDT
Originally posted by The_Macallen: Which current Senator said and did these choice nuggets of racial hatred and bigotry without even a whimper of objection from the Democrats: * Said on Fox News Sunday with Tony Snow in March 2001, "There are white niggers. I've seen a lot of white niggers in my time. I'm going to use that word." * Was an active member of the Ku Klux Klan and was a "Kleagle" - an official recruiter for the Klan. * He said he joined because it "offered excitement" and because the Klan was an "effective force" in "promoting traditional American values." * He filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act to try to block its passage. * He opposed the nominations of the Supreme Court's only two black justices, liberal Thurgood Marshall and conservative Clarence Thomas. * He once vowed never to fight "with a Negro by my side. Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." * Three years AFTER leaving the Klan he wrote, "The Klan is needed today as never before and I am anxious to see its rebirth here in West Virginia" and "in every state in the Union." Who is this racist ex-Klansman Senator who opposed granting Blacks basic civil rights and who opposed BOTH of the only two black Supreme Court Justices in history (one a liberal the other a conservative) and who STILL uses the term "nigger" on national TV without even a peep coming from Jesse Jackass, Queasy MoFo or any of the other hypocritical Democrat Leaders who are now calling for Lott's resignation???
View Quote
Byrd is a racist pig and the media should be ashamed of themselves for letting him get away with it. That does not excuse Lott's racist tendencies. I'd like to see us get rid of both.
Top Top