Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2002 12:48:39 PM EDT
Woo hoo!

December 10, 2002

[url=www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,857746,00.html]Gun show dropped, averting conflict[/url]

Doug Mattson  

Saying Nevada County doesn't need the controversy, the organizer for the county fairgrounds' annual gun show withdrew his bid Monday to hold another show this winter.

Larry Urrutia's withdrawal spared an anticipated debate at tonight's meeting before the Fair Board, which was set to decide on a proposed gun show contract. The move also staved off an anticipated debate on firearms and the show, which was proposed for Feb. 8-9.

Urrutia, a Colusa County rice farmer who's held several shows here, said resistance from opponents helped spur his decision, though he asked Fairgrounds Executive Director Ed Scofield to reserve a date for a possible 2004 show.

"It's not that we're intimidated at this time. There's just a certain amount of hassle up there," he said, adding, "Your community needs to have some peace. It's not that big a problem for us to pull out."

He claimed hearing from members of an 85-person network prepared to support him at the meeting.

At the same time, a bevy of gun show opponents led by Nick and Amanda Wilcox were ready to speak against the gun show. The couple lost their daughter, Laura, in the Jan. 10, 2001, shootings that killed three people and left four injured.

"In some ways I wish it was going forward because it would bring more dialogue on the issue," Amanda Wilcox said. "On the other hand, we are emotionally drained, and I suppose it's fine we don't have to deal with this."

The Wilcoxes have called gun shows synonymous with illegal firearms transactions, and they've pointed to Urrutia's show last year.

Urrutia recently was convicted of an infraction, and vendor John Crabtree was convicted of a misdemeanor after Crabtree sold two guns - a pair of assault rifles with grenade launchers - to a buyer who walked out of the exhibition building with them at the last show in February.

Authorities say Crabtree ignored the 10-day waiting period and wasn't licensed to sell such guns, and that Urrutia allowed the illegal transaction.

Scofield said he received a fax from Urrutia just before 5 p.m. Monday. The executive director had moved tonight's meeting to the Senior Center to accommodate a larger crowd.

Without the gun show, Scofield said the open February weekend might be used to improve the exhibit building's restrooms.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
[:)]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Grenade launchers?  Give me a fucking break.  So now individual sales are limited for that 10 day bullshit?  

NY = cash and carry, the way it should be.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
It's all part of the agenda.

Get rid of gun shows.
Get rid of private dealers.
Get rid of gun stores or legislate them to the point they are unprofitable.

Bingo! You have a de facto gun ban without having to ban guns by law.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't matter, Californians will never use guns for anything but punching paper anyway.....
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet the guns were Yugo SKSs.  The CA AG didn't exactly make a big fuss to publicize that these firearms were considered Kalifornia ASSault weapons.  I find it disturbing that the promoter was charged with an infraction for the "illegal" actions of a vendor.

I also laugh at the county that claims they can repair the restrooms in their exhibition hall.  No doubt it was financed by the fees generated by the show.  I wonder what they will do for money next year?
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 2:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter, Californians will never use guns for anything but punching paper anyway.....
View Quote

DUDE...That is so unfair of you to say!

My Dad (very Pro-Gun) uses all of his to take up space, and give me something to clean when I come to visit!

If my family did not live there I would say send it into the ocean!
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#8]
WOW!  Where can you get a pair of assault rifles with grenade launchers?  
AT A GUN SHOW THAT'S WHERE!!!!

Every anti WILL BURN IN HELL!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
sounds like a tiny 1 show gun show promoter, they prolly couldnt handle the lawsuits.

Crossroads of the West and Code of the West are the largets promoters in kalif and are currently NOT GIVING IN TO LIBERAL BASTARDS and are tring to keep gun shows here open.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I finally figured out why all the other states really hate California:  5th largest economy and a private militia large enough to kick the ass of [b]ANY[/b] other state!![flag]

And when did the Oregonians last take arms against their Governor?

Yeah.....thought so.[rolleyes]

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top