Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2002 7:39:41 AM EDT
Ok guys and girls, what about it, do you have a real tree, or an artificial one???? I never thought I'd buy an artificial tree until the wife convinced me a couple of years ago. It wasn't cheap, about $300.00 clams for a six foot tree. Now we have two, one in the family room, and one in the living room. Advantages..One time purchase, no messy needles , no sticky sap, no watering, no fire hazard, no disposal, no dragging it home, no scratched rooftop or needles in SUV for the next 100 years, no attempting to make it stand straight with a crooked trunk, and no trying to pick a good one out when its minus 20 degrees. Now he disadvantages... err can't think of any. Your thoughts?????
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's just not the same.  All of those advantages to have an artificial tree are the same as my list of disadvantages.  It just goes with the season and is part of tradition.

We go out into the surrounding woods and pick one out each year.  Then we come home and drink hot alcholic beverages.  Kinda fun.  Wouldn't want to miss it!  But, whatever floats your boat![:d]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I like real trees because they look nicer, smell good and they don't make everything seem so "commercial".

That being said, I've got an artificial one because it's easier, less mess and the main reason is I don't want the kids getting the damn needles all over the whole entire house, not to mention eating them or sticking them up their nose.

When they're older I'll probably start getting real trees.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Using real trees is rape of the land, like...like murder of the trees!!!!!
You Environmental Terrorists!!!

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Little bit of a burnin' smell tho...
View Quote

I always look at that as a plus. Anytime you're using power tools and people get a waft of that burnin smell they know you mean business. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got a 4 foot fake tree.  The wife wants to buy 6 or 7 footer after christmas when they go on sale.
View Quote

Don't do it man.

We had a 4.5 footer for the first few years.  Then, after the holiday, we got a great deal on a 7.5 footer.  COOL! we thought...

Putting lights on it took me several days, we didn't have enough ornaments, so had to push the thing into a corner, and it was otherwise generally a PITA.  We did this for two years.

Last year, we got out the 4.5 footer.  What a pleasure it was to string all the lights on over the course of a Sunday afternoon.  How nice it looks with all the ornaments adorning it in a reasonable density!

It's just a lot more satisfying to enjoy decorating, than have it be a really large chore!

YMMV, but I'm glad we went back to the 4.5 foot tree.
Scott
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Buying and installing a real tree each year almost put my parents into divorce court.  I have a fake tree.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was a kid growing up in the 60's, we celebrated Christmas by the hideous plastic silver tree, red balls, and a rotating red/blue/green light at the base.  I hated that god awful thing. I get nightmares thinking about it.  [b]REAL[/b] tree for me!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I love the look & smell of a live tree.
I also go around after Christmas & collect them,
they make a great bonfire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top