Posted: 12/10/2002 2:12:23 PM EDT
scud missles on board.
CNN now developing
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
GOING WHERE?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Intercepted off the coast of Yemen, according to CNN.

I'm sure they were only going to be used as giant Bottle Rockets for a birthday party; I can't imagine N.K. would have sold them for any other purpose.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Intercepted off the coast of Yemen, according to CNN.

I'm sure they were only going to be used as giant Bottle Rockets for a birthday party; I can't imagine N.K. would have sold them for any other purpose.
View Quote

THis would be funny except for the fact that them a-holes might actually [i]use[/i] that explanation.. [:(]

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The average price of a SCUD missle is $4 million on the black market. There are 12 on board. Who in the Hell has 48 million dollars in Yemen???? Hmmm.

This could get interesting.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Just think how many of these shipments have slipped below the radar in the past....
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Hrm…

Anyone remember the story about Pakistan trading nukes with North Korea?

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/24/international/asia/24KORE.html?ex=1038718800&en=ab75b82c5f75e2aa&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE]story here[/url]

Now we've got 12 scuds on a boat headed for Yemen…  
[url=www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36414-2002Dec10.html]story here[/url]

Anyone hear anything about warheads? [shock]

I'm thinking Qatar is within the range of scuds from yemen
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
So this is the political situation that put my brothers unit on alert in S. Korea.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]IRAQ[/b]

ABCnews.com
W A S H I N G T O N, Dec. 10 — A ship carrying a dozen Scud-type missiles from North Korea was intercepted in the Arabian Sea on Tuesday, U.S. officials said. They said the missiles were believed to be headed for Yemen.

The ship was stopped and boarded about 600 miles east of the Horn of Africa, the officials said.

U.S. intelligence had been tracking the vessel closely, said U.S. officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The ship contained about a dozen short- to medium-range missiles, similar to the Scud missiles used by Iraq in the Persian Gulf War, the officials said. It also contained missile parts.

The ship was stopped and boarded by a patrol boat in the region.

The patrol boat was not a U.S. ship, but that of another nation, a U.S. official said. However, a U.S. team rushed to the scene to participate in the search, the official said.

The ship "had another flag, but it was a North Korea ship," the official said.

The ship was held in the area while the search continued.

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Gee, this could make that 'celebrity whining festival' look a little foolish.[8)]

Well, MORE foolish !!
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hrm…

Anyone remember the story about Pakistan trading nukes with North Korea?

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/24/international/asia/24KORE.html?ex=1038718800&en=ab75b82c5f75e2aa&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE]story here[/url]

Now we've got 12 scuds on a boat headed for Yemen…  
[url=www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36414-2002Dec10.html]story here[/url]

Anyone hear anything about warheads? [shock]

I'm thinking Qatar is within the range of scuds from yemen
View Quote

Qatar, isn't that where we have our command HQ for the middle east right now?
View Quote

and partridge in a pear tree
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#12]
This makes me believe North Korea and China (remember the story about the buildup on the coast with Taiwan) are thinking about sticking their hand in ...

this is not good kiddies
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Abandon ship... We are firing on you now...
[uzi][whacko][50]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
T-Minus ???  and counting.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
T-Minus ???  and counting.
View Quote

I agree
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Things are going to get very interesting in the nest few weeks. Who is Bush going after next?

Sounds like NK is more threat than our friend in the sand is.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh yea.  The axis of evil is showing its stripes.  North Korea Scuds + North Korea nukes = ?  Or maybe I am going a little overboard here........ [;D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I really doubt the SCUDs were headed for Yemen.  What does Yemen want ballistic missiles for?

Was Al-Qaeda buying them?  Where are those asswipes going to learn how to operate SCUDs?  Well, Iraq I guess.....but they couldn't operate and move ballistic missiles around Yemen without anyone noticing.

But if they were going to launch them from Yemen towards Qatar...they'd have to go past the frontier into the Rub a Hali desert. Do they have the transports to do that, especially with Predators flying around?

I think the SCUDs were probably bound for Egypt.

[EDITED TO SAY: Never mind, Yemen did order them and has fired SCUDs before in their civil war.  Strange that such a poor country would waste money on SCUDs}
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#20]
You can be SURE of two things:

1. They were headed for a moslem shithole.
2. Saudia Arabia paid for them.

What else is new?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Beer, Popcorn,.......Potas(s)ium Iodide?

I'm almost set.

Dave S
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I really doubt the SCUDs were headed for Yemen. What does Yemen want ballistic missiles for?
View Quote

Yemen only has a de facto government.  It's still basically anarchy there,  with warlords controlling their respective areas.  So, it's not so much why the Yemeni govn't wants scuds, it's why would one or more of the (potentially al queda member) warlords want them.

That being said, the ship might also have been heading to Somolia (another al queda rats nest) where our troops in Djibuti(sp), Yemen, and ships going to/from the Red Sea would be in range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can be SURE of two things:

1. They were headed for a moslem shithole.
2. Saudia Arabia paid for them.

What else is new?
View Quote

Give the man a cigar
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I really doubt the SCUDs were headed for Yemen. What does Yemen want ballistic missiles for?
View Quote

Yemen only has a de facto government.  It's still basically anarchy there,  with warlords controlling their respective areas.  So, it's not so much why the Yemeni govn't wants scuds, it's why would one or more of the (potentially al queda member) warlords want them.

That being said, the ship might also have been heading to Somolia (another al queda rats nest) where our troops in Djibuti(sp), Yemen, and ships going to/from the Red Sea would be in range.
View Quote

Practically everyone in that region has Scuds. The Iranians, Syrians, Iraqis(?), Libyans, et al.  It's a POS 1950s era technology missile.  Their only practical use is against very large targets (cities) unless you strap a nuclear warhead to it.  However, I don't think any of the above mentioned countries have the ability to produce a warhead that is small enough to place on that missile.

Yet.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
This is just more evidence that George Bush was right. North Korea is part of an axis of absolute evil and terror along with Iraq and Iran. I'd add Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, and a bunch of other Middle Eastern nations to that list too. It's scary this happened. The NKs have nukes and they are starving. What if they try to sell nukes and missiles to Al Quaida and other terrorist organizations? It is time for the United States to flex our military power. This Axis of Evil must be destroyed. The United States has played diplomacy for too long. It is time to act. These nations that support, sponsor, and harbor terrorism must be destroyed. I'm sure 2nd Infantry Division must be on an elevated alert status right now. We can't afford to wait any longer. The enemies of civilization (Iraq, Iran, North Korea, etc) must be dealt with in the most severe way. They are a looming threat to humanity and the civilized world.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So this is the political situation that put my brothers unit on alert in S. Korea.
View Quote

All quiet on the northern front. Where is your brother?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#27]
No updates so far.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#28]
... Actually Iraq was the Administrations wily subterfuge. North Korea is the real threat and target. You'll see.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Practically everyone in that region has Scuds. The Iranians, Syrians, Iraqis(?), Libyans, et al.  It's a POS 1950s era technology missile.  Their only practical use is against very large targets (cities) unless you strap a nuclear warhead to it.  However, I don't think any of the above mentioned countries have the ability to produce a warhead that is small enough to place on that missile.

Yet.
View Quote

Exactly--Scuds are the Lorcins of ballistic missiles, though they can be used  effectively used for propaganda purposes.  Although they can be upgraded, they generally suck. The incident does serve to highlight North Korea's general attitude problems, though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Granted the SCUD sucks but our Patriots failed to have much effect on the stupid things!!

They are not pipoint accurate but can do MASSIVE damage if properly armed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Granted the SCUD sucks but our Patriots failed to have much effect on the stupid things!!

View Quote

No SCUD can penetrate within the range of a PATRIOT missile. If you are thinking about the Gulf War, when an anti-AIRCRAFT system was - in wartime conditions - forced upgraded into a anti-TBM role (a doctrinally AF mission that they dropped the ball on R&D-wise), well, that was several software packages and three generations of missiles ago.

Simply put, if PATRIOT is there, falling debris is your only threat.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#32]
They should of hushed this one up, and followed the package to the recipient. I'd bet money that the tips have anti-Israel messages written in Arabic on them.
-Steve
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

No SCUD can penetrate within the range of a PATRIOT missile. If you are thinking about the Gulf War, when an anti-AIRCRAFT system was - in wartime conditions - forced upgraded into a anti-TBM role (a doctrinally AF mission that they dropped the ball on R&D-wise), well, that was several software packages and three generations of missiles ago.

Simply put, if PATRIOT is there, falling debris is your only threat.
View Quote

Also if its within 30mi of a shoreline we also have Standard SM2ER Block IV.

We might be able to rustle up a Arrow battery with enough advanced warning.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They should of hushed this one up, and followed the package to the recipient. I'd bet money that the tips have anti-Israel messages written in Arabic on them.
-Steve
View Quote

Yea, thats what I was thinking. I'll assume though, that intel aleady knows or knew where they were going.
I wonder what our commie N.Koreans have to say.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 2:32:03 AM EDT
[#35]
In that the reports say it was intercepted by a SPANISH WARSHIP, this whole thing must be a hoax.  [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 2:57:25 AM EDT
[#36]
It sounds like they wanted to intercept before it reached a nation that could be clearly identified as the purchaser. It had to be a state purchase because you would need lots of equipment and a suitable port to offload these suckers. It would be too big for a few people to do.

Now the question is what state? It's possible that Yemen may have been the destination. But what other country or countries in that region could have used such missiles? I think it's definately safe to say they were headed to an anti-Israeli country/group as a final destination. Maybe Lebanon? Bought with Saudi funding? I think this is why they didn't wanna wait until it reached it's destination. We can't possibly allow the Saudi's to look bad!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Yemen just claimed it was a legitmate arms shipment to their army, and want their property back.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, those gay ass liberal cry baby actors in Hollywood who sent a letter to Bush saying they wanted proof like Kennedy had or no war just got their wish. As if the hollywood elite have a clue to world events...

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I think we'd better tread carefully on this one.  Even though we think those missiles might be used against us, we are interfering in the affairs of Yemen, a sovereign nation.  

From CNN:

"U.S. officials Wednesday defended the seizure of the missiles as consistent with administration policy of interdicting arms sales if there is a potential the material could be used to make or deliver weapons of mass destruction.

One senior official said the U.S. government would talk to Yemen about its desire to have the missiles delivered, but said the Bush administration saw no strategic reason the Yemeni military would need the missiles. "

Who the hell are we to decide what is and is not a legitimate defense need?  Yemen isn't prohibited from having missiles like this as Iraq is, from the ceasefire.  What if the Chinese military intercepted a shipment of U.S. weapons to someone?  Would we stand by just because THEY couldn't see any reason the client state should have those weapons?

No wonder the whole fucking world hates us.  We always find a way to mismanage the power we have in this world.  Wanna blast Saddamm and other guys because we have proof they are a threat?  FINE.  But if we think we can decide what is and what is not ok for any other nation to own, we are truly a bunch of damn hypocrites.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Hawkeye, that is a good point.  I do think the "senior official" should keep his damn mouth shut though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#44]
I couldn't agree more PeteCO.  Some of ya'll really jump to conclusions.

Edit: I just read the US will allow Yemen to get it's shipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top