Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2002 12:37:16 PM EDT
I work in the contract petro chem engineering field and every 6mo to 1 year I get canned.  usually the project is complete or something comes up.  not my fault they just don't want to put guys like us on overhead.  well it's that time again.  we are running out of work and they are moving people around.  they may, will, might get more work after the first so they have said they will float me for a while.  I have another job opportunity after the first of the year that is solid.  

so how much notice do I give.  

I my past four employers have given me about four hours notice.

[bounce]i had a question for the boss today so i offhandedly asked about the job status.  he says not to worry, i will have a job for a long time.  he will find something for me to do.  he also mentioned he will lay off 3/4 of the department including a lot of direct employees before he let's me go.  this may be smoke, i don't know.  so i will hang loose and wait and see.    thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd give a couple of weeks if for no other reason, you might work for them again. I'd have the other job lined up though, just in case you get canned as soon as you let them know.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I would confirm with the new company that you have a slot with them after the frist of the year.

Then If you do, ride this one out till they lay you off.

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd give a couple of weeks if for no other reason, you might work for them again. I'd have the other job lined up though, just in case you get canned as soon as you let them know.
View Quote

Exactly what I would do.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Your loyalty is to yourself. You should take the solid job as opposed to hanging around hoping things will pickup later. The sure thing job may not be there when you need it. Still, you should give 2 weeks notice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
As a manager and a contractor, any person who doesn't give two weeks is automatically disqualified from working for me again.

When I was a newbie, we had a guy that worked in my group for 1/2 day, then said he was going to lunch. He never came back. Fast forward 10 years and he comes in for an interview. He looked familiar, when I placed the face, I politely ended the interview and called the company that sent him.

If you don't give 2 weeks, it looks bad on you and your company.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
But it's ok for a company to dump you with no notice?

Nice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Leave in good terms, never burn bridges behind you, you may have to retreat.

Good luck
BR
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Talk to your boss. Keep in mind most will pooop on ya to get what they need.

We work the same way project to project. I like to keep the best and will work hard even if I got to can someone else. If I know my goto guy is leaving due to slow downs I will do what I can or let him know who much notice I really need.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm just in a foul mood because I'm having trouble finding my next project.  I gave two weeks notice and left on my own to return to school.  Now I need to get back to work and the jobs are just not out there.

I've got issues...
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks,
i am the kind of guy that does normally give 2 weeks.  it just pisses me off that i can't get more than 4-6hrs from those i work for.[:(!]

the last time it happened i came back from a 1 week vacation (Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle 2)when i left everything was cool.  plenty of work and the boss said good by, see you in a week, you earned your vacation  (6 months of 50-60 hr work weeks).  when i came back i picked up where i left off and about 10:00 the boss calls me into his office and i am out the door with nothing but the "you did nothing wrong" speech.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top