Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2002 8:43:10 AM EDT
Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad.... but it's totally legal.  Just purchased a gun on Gunbroker.com and had it shipped to my FFL.  Without realizing it, I got out of having to pay state sales tax on my new Walther P99!  Yeah, I still lose my $20 to the b.s. DROS background check, and I have to pay my dealer a fee (which is fine, he needs to make SOMETHING on the deal).  I'll have a total outlay of $550 for my new gun versus $665.00 (total cost based on same gun @ Turners) if I had bought it here in Kalifornia directly.  I may buy every gun this way from now on, just to screw the leftist-controlled Kalifornia government out of taxes. [;D]

So when California finally goes 100% Communist, will they finally start bringing in AK's again?  [%|]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
That is why your state is going broke![/sarcasm][;)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, we're only $20.1 billion in the hole....pocket change really.  Hell, we could buy the state of Texas for $20 billion.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey, we're only $20.1 billion in the hole....pocket change really.  Hell, we could buy the state of Texas for $20 billion.

Sgtar15
View Quote

Over $30 billion now.  Shoulda had a rainy day fund and limited budget growth to inflation index.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is why your state is going broke![/sarcasm][;)]
View Quote

Come and join the party.

Sit down, stay awhile...

Be back later, need to go pick up my sympathy(or whatever that new food stamp credit card is called) card and max it out on twinkies, doritos and mayonaise for dip before its no good....lol
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad.... but it's totally legal.  Just purchased a gun on Gunbroker.com and had it shipped to my FFL.  Without realizing it, I got out of having to pay state sales tax on my new Walther P99!  Yeah, I still lose my $20 to the b.s. DROS background check, and I have to pay my dealer a fee (which is fine, he needs to make SOMETHING on the deal).  I'll have a total outlay of $550 for my new gun versus $665.00 (total cost based on same gun @ Turners) if I had bought it here in Kalifornia directly.  I may buy every gun this way from now on, just to screw the leftist-controlled Kalifornia government out of taxes. [;D]

So when California finally goes 100% Communist, will they finally start bringing in AK's again?  [%|]
View Quote

I just bought a new Powerbook G4 from MacZones in WA.  It only cost $35 to ship and no sales tax (7.75%).  A small tax revolt for sure but I felt good depriving my state government of money.  If you don't feed it it's not going to grow so quickly.

Purchasing guns out of state will keep tax revenues from gun sales down but will also keep FFL's like Turner's profits down.  Tough choice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bravo! Good for you! I do the same thing and go out of my way and screw the states "squanderers" out of every penny of tax money I can. Yeah, the FFL needs a take but you get what you sow as you used to be able to order guns thru the mail when I was young and have them sent to your door! This is what "compromise" gets you at the poles! SO,FROM NOW ON REMEMBER "no more compromise"!!!!! See what it gets you in The Republic of Kalifornistan!!!! It's coming to a State near you too folks...
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad.... but it's totally legal.  *******
View Quote

No, it's not, exactly.

You still technically owe the tax on purchases from out of state.  Wonder why you can't just buy a car in state where's there is no sales tax?

On your tax form, you will find a spot to declare out of state purchases and pay and excise (I believe that's what it's called) tax on those purchases.

The State of Maryland went so far as staking out the border and catching folks buying furniture in the Carolinas when they came back up over the border.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#8]
your state govt in CA is broke because of your fuckin governor.  who, curiously enough, got elected again for another term.

edited: to add the second sentence.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#9]
"A perfect democracy, a 'warm body' democracy in which every adult may vote and all votes count equally has no internal feedback for self correction. It depends solely on the wisdom and self-restraint of citizens...which is opposed by the folly and lack of self-restraint of other citizens. What is supposed to happen in a democracy is that each sovereign citizen will always vote in the public interest for the safety and welfare of all. But what does happen is that he votes his own self-interest as he sees it...which for the majority translates as 'Bread and Circuses'

"Bread and Circuses is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader--the barbarians enter Rome."
(To Sail Beyond the Sunset, 227)
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

You might be able to buy the King ranch for $20 billion.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wonder why you can't just buy a car in state where's there is no sales tax?
View Quote

Back in the 1980's loads of folks who bought European luxury automobiles on the gray market brought them in through Oregon as that state had some no-state-tax thing going.  Half the 450's in Texas had Oregon plates.  Bet that's changed now.

BTW the DemocRAT that ran for US Senate from Texas made a BIG DEAL trying to get Texas to impose a mandatory state tax on all internet purchases while he was mayor of Dallas.  Ron Kirk can kiss my skinny white ass.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Someday, the people will realize the debt isn't because we're being taxed too little, but because the buttwipes on top are spending too much.  

I have serious doubts if this will ever happen in Kalifornia.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe fight4yourrights is correct on this one.  You're supposed to pay a "use tax" on items you buy from out of state on which sales tax is not collected.  Most states have a section on your tax return form where you report such purchases and calculate your tax accordingly.  For now, what you report is on your honor.  With the boon of internet shopping, who knows how long that will last...
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I do stand corrected on the tax issue.  There is  a "use-tax" here in Kalifornia, but it is an "honor" system and trying to figure out how much to pay (based on a quick search of the Board of Equalization website) is darn near impossible.  When my fellow Kalifornians start paying "use tax" on all those books from Amazon.com and every other mail-order/Internet/etc. company, I'll consider doing the same for my... oh did I say $550 Walther... my mistake, I meant $5.00... the guy must have been high or something.. yeah thats it... [;)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife is a retired California teacher.  Even if we do not live in CA they will collect state income tax on her retirement, only reduced by the amount we would pay in the state where we lived.  Makes you feel like a serf being forever tied to the State.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Nightstalker, I think that "source tax" in the PRK got thrown out in a fed court a couple of years back if you'd moved out of state.  In other words they can tax it if you're residing here (me too, sigh.  Just moved back) but if you're living elsewhere you can tell them to go pound sand.  Don't have a reference here, but you might want to check it out.

Pat
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought my wife's diamond out of state. Screwed the state out of multiple hundreds of dollars in sales tax. Sweeeeeeeeeet!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Does a Nevada resident with a California job have to pay California income tax? I've been told both yes and no. I can understand paying fee type taxes but income to a state I can't vote in or or recieve the benefits of?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does a Nevada resident with a California job have to pay California income tax? I've been told both yes and no. I can understand paying fee type taxes but income to a state I can't vote in or or recieve the benefits of?
View Quote

Yes. They go by where you do the work. If you work in CA, you have to pay CA income tax. This is the same BS they pull on airline pilots, taxing them based on the number of hours they spend in CA air space. It's insane.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#24]
!@#$

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
!@#$

Thanks.
View Quote

[url]www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/01_forms/01_1031.pdf[/url]

No problem. Here's the law, it sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top