Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2002 4:19:15 PM EDT
Which would you say would have air supremicy. The MiG 15 in the Vietnam War era  with an american pilot and proper training or the Harrier Jump Jet in the Falkland Islands in the war against Argentina? Take into consideration what we could have done with the MiG in Vietnam and how vastly out-numbered the Brits were in the Falklans.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Going along with the topic, I just seen a MiG 21
for sale on aircraft.com.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Too easy....

Harrier..

Why??

Sidewinder..

VIFF....nuff said.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The Harrier will win - it can maintain higher sustained load factor in the turn, hence get inside the MiG for the shot while it is running out of steam.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do you ask?
The Harrier will out accelerate the Mig, out handle, out fly and out gun it.
Now maybe the Mig 17....
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it just me or what?

I see "War Bird", I'm thinking Radial Engines, Merlins, Allisons...not jets!

I think there should be some kind of clarifier or something so we can know it's jets.  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I meant War Jet. I thought when I specificaly choose the MiG 15 and Harrier to talk about that would be obvous. I was not compairing the two head-to-head in a combat situation against each other, but only wanting to know, for its time, which air craft whould get your votes for the job. Does the new multi-role fighter have the directional thrust vectors such as those found on the Harrier for verticle and short distance take offs?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) will be built in three versions that will be superficially similar on the exterior - a conventional take off and landing airplane for the USAF, a carrier airplane with appropriate beef-up, and a STOVL (Short Takeoff, Vertical Landing) airplane for the USMC and the British, and perhaps other foriegn air forces.

The STOVL version uses a vectoring nozzle at the engine exhaust, plus a lift fan just behind the cockpit.  The lift fan is driven by a shaft taking power from the fan section of the engine, running forward to the gear box to rotate the fan.  This shaft will transfer about 25000 horsepower at somewhere around 11000 rpm (check the horsepower of a large ship)!  On the MDC design in the early 90's, the shaft was about 10 feet long, and it it of similar length in the Lockheed airplane.

Now the real question is whether a JSF will ever be built for all three services - I don't think it will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top