Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2002 3:44:42 PM EDT
[url]http://www.app.com/app2001/story/0,21133,648549,00.html[/url] [img]http://www.app.com/images/news/0212/03arsenal.jpg[/img]
Fire alerts authorities to nearly 500 weapons By MICHAEL CLANCY STAFF WRITER FAIR HAVEN -- Three dump trucks removed an arsenal of live ammunition and almost 500 weapons -- all of them apparently held legally -- which police found in a home after the fire department responded to a chimney fire and the homeowner threatened the fire chief with a rifle, authorities said yesterday. BRIAN FERREIRA photo About half of the seized arsenal occupies a holding cell at the Fair Haven Police Department. The "tens of thousands" of rounds of live ammunition could have had a catastrophic effect if Sunday's fire had grown worse, a police official said. When Fire Chief John Feeny ordered Arthur L. Arford to leave his smoky home in a residential area of Colonial Court about 4 p.m. to make way for firefighters, Arford told Feeny the department had no right to force him off his property, said Detective Joseph McGovern. Arford, a 59-year-old budget analyst at Fort Monmouth, then grabbed an unloaded M-1 rifle that was leaning against his bookshelf and attempted to point it at the chief, McGovern said. Robert Frank, a volunteer firefighter and off-duty police officer from Little Silver, grabbed Arford and the rifle before he could raise the weapon, McGovern said. Arford, a civilian Army employee, was arrested by Patrolman John Lehnert and charged with aggravated assault and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, police said. Arford was being held yesterday at the Monmouth County Jail on $10,000 bail. Police soon discovered rifles, shotguns, handguns, machetes, samurai swords and spears among weapons from different eras and parts of the world scattered through every room in the home except the kitchen and bath, McGovern said. The live ammunition also littered the home, McGovern said. "The ammo could have exploded and shot all over," McGovern said. "If it got hot enough and the gunpowder ignited, the rounds would have become projectiles shooting out of the home." The State Police Bomb Unit was called to ensure that hand grenades found on the property were not live, which they were not, said McGovern. He said experts from the state police examined the cache of weapons -- bayonets, double-barrel shotguns, pump shotguns with pistol grips -- and did not find any that were illegal. As far as could be determined, Arford's permits for the weapons appeared to be in order and the guns were purchased legally, McGovern said. Police estimated that Arford had 220 rifles and shotguns from Russia, Spain, China and other parts of the world, 150 handguns, and an assortment of 100 knives that ranged from buck knifes to umbrellas concealing knives. "Guns were just about everywhere you could imagine," McGovern said. "They were just scattered across the house." About 25 percent of the handguns were loaded and a lesser proportion of the rifles and shotguns contained ammunition, said McGovern. And though the M-1 Garand rifle that Arford grabbed in front of Feeny was not loaded, he had ammunition for it at arm's length, McGovern said. Police removed eight cases of ammunition and 18 five-gallon buckets filled with bullets, McGovern said. And though they worked all day to catalog the arsenal, Patrolmen John Koetzner and John Waltz worked through only half, and that half now fills a holding cell at the Fair Haven Police Department. McGovern said authorities will keep the weapons until the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office determines what to do with them. If convicted of a felony, Arford could potentially lose the right to keep the weapons, police said. The chimney fire was extinguished without further incident. The matter remains under investigation, said McGovern. Michael Clancy: (732) 643-4076 or mclancy@app.com
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:48:03 PM EDT
bunch of "DO-GOOD'ers" save the freakin' day! I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut, he IS convicted and loses his weapons.....
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:10:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2002 4:15:41 PM EDT by V-Match]
"The ammo could have exploded and shot all over," McGovern said. "If it got hot enough and the gunpowder ignited, the rounds would have become projectiles shooting out of the home." What a crock of shit!! American Rifleman published a controlled experiment regarding loose ammo cook-off quite a few years back, and upshot is it's about as destructive as a Black Cat. It's got to be contained within a firearm for any kind of pressure, and thus velocity to develop. "Detective" McGovern, where'd he get his badge from? My bet is it was a special prize from a box of Cracker Jacks. Loser!!!! -Eric edited so i don't sound like a japanese video game. and yeah, the owner WAS a fuckin' bonehead for doing what he did.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:13:39 PM EDT
Oh great, here we go again. Wanna bet the "witnesses" will have all sorts of details on how the chief was threatened by a guy just picking up a gun? Its a hell of a threat, picking up an unloaded gun with someone else close enough to just grab it before it can even be waved in the general direction of the "victim" If this guy is exonerated can he sue the PD for the damage caused to his collection when the JBTs tossed them into the dump truck? Or does anyone think he will ever see them again even if all charges are dropped.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:14:13 PM EDT
Talk about being a major idiot. Those firefighters were trying to save his life and he thanks them by being boligerant (sp?) and pointing a gun at them. He wouldn't be in this situation right now if he hadnt been such a dumbass.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:20:24 PM EDT
You have to admit it was a well written article. They didn't call him a FREAK with an Arsenal ready to take over the city. They said that it was legally owned, and all of his permits were in order. What he did was totally WRONG and I think he over reacted, although if the firemen saw the guns they would have called the police anyway and all of his guns would have been removed anyway. BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:20:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:25:41 PM EDT
Just wait until you hear Mr. Arford's side of the story.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2002 6:03:15 PM EDT by Maynard]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:50:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GaryM: Oh great, here we go again. Wanna bet the "witnesses" will have all sorts of details on how the chief was threatened by a guy just picking up a gun? Its a hell of a threat, picking up an unloaded gun with someone else close enough to just grab it before it can even be waved in the general direction of the "victim" If this guy is exonerated can he sue the PD for the damage caused to his collection when the JBTs tossed them into the dump truck? Or does anyone think he will ever see them again even if all charges are dropped.
View Quote
The article said that the homeowner threatened the fire chief with a rifle. It doesn't matter whether it is unloaded because with most weapons, the person who is threatened cannot tell if it is loaded or not when it is pointed at him. The perceived threat is the same. Along with the right to keep and bear arms comes a responsibility to use them safely. There are people who should not be allowed to possess firearms. This guy sounds like one of them. He gives the rest of us (responsible gunowners) a bad name and it is people like him who are to blame for the liberal backlash against the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:00:29 PM EDT
He was grabbed BEFORE HE COULD POINT THE RIFLE. This could also be written as he was grabbed before he could bend the rifle over his knee, or he was grabbed before he could move the rifle out of the way, or he was grabbed before....you get the point. A chimney fire is not a life threatening accident most of the time. They happen all the time with no lasting damage or loss of life. Sounds to me as if the fireman came uninvited into a mans home and he called bullshit on their authority. Why do we waste money on firearms when we could just aim a cartridge at our target and hold a heat source under it. Think of the weight savings. 500 rounds and a BIC lighter would weigh alot less than a fifle and mags.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:08:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GaryM: Oh great, here we go again. Wanna bet the "witnesses" will have all sorts of details on how the chief was threatened by a guy just picking up a gun? Its a hell of a threat, picking up an unloaded gun with someone else close enough to just grab it before it can even be waved in the general direction of the "victim"
View Quote
Gary, Are you freaking serious? Have you ever heard anything about gun safety? What about ALWAYS treat any weapon as if it's loaded even if you KNOW it's not loaded. What about never point the business end of a gun at a person unless you mean to use it? Tell you what, let me come point my "un-loaded" weapon at you and see how you feel about it. OK? Yeah, it's a shame but this guy will lose all his guns now, and you know what he deserves to. [soapbox]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:21:11 PM EDT
the guy is a retard. pointing the rifle at the fireman? he shouldn't own guns. he'll just make the rest of us look bad. did they mention seizing a large amount of tin foil?
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:28:02 PM EDT
Why do we waste money on firearms when we could just aim a cartridge at our target and hold a heat source under it. Think of the weight savings. 500 rounds and a BIC lighter would weigh alot less than a fifle and mags.
View Quote
You know this gets me on another subject that I've been ranting about for years. Everybody worries about the correct concealed carry pistol and the like...why? I carry at least 15 .38 Special bullets, a pair of pliers and a ball-peen hammer with me at all times. Sure you don't have this "semi-auto-matic" shit you kids have today, but it works just as well for me- Just hold the round with the pliers, and plink the back end with the hammer. So whatever.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:54:47 PM EDT
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turned out that the guy hadn't done ANYTHING threatening toward the firefighter/officer, or anybody else. If that officer had a hard-on for people with a lot of guns, he could quite easily LIE about what happened, and then it'd be the officer's word against what may be publicly perceived as a gun nut. I smell a rat...and it's wearing a badge. I want to hear the homeowner's side of the story. CJ
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:19:40 PM EDT
You guys did actually read that right? He didnt point a gun at anyone. DID NOT...it says they grabbed it before he did. As someone else was saying...could be re-written to say...they grabbed it before he could offer it to the chief as a gift...or before he could shove it up his ass...etc. If they came into my house and asked me to leave due to a chimney fire I think I would take issue as well. Its a fucking chimney....
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:40:11 PM EDT
The real crime is that whether or not Mr Arford/Mr Moron (as appropriate) is convicted of a crime, all those weapons will probably be destroyed. Even if he's not convicted, I'd bet he has to sue to get them back.
Top Top