Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/4/2002 7:42:58 AM EDT
I am getting one of these soon which do you prefer and why? I was leaning towards the PS2 for no particular reason.. Thanks, Ropes
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:44:31 AM EDT
My brother and I both have PS2s and we like them. There are more games for PS2.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:44:49 AM EDT
PS2..I have heard bad things about xbox. My girlfriends stepfather returned his because it kept locking up. Besides, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is just to much fun.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:49:16 AM EDT
[img]http://www.oua.org/assets/sponsor_logos/black_vrt_rgb_b.jpg[/img] It's getting a lot more of the better games, the controller blows away PS2, it's faster, it has better graphics and the most important reason is [b]Halo 2[/b].
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:52:09 AM EDT
X-Box. Best graphics and they seem to be getting the cooler games. GTA is so old, same with Tekken.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:55:26 AM EDT
While I have the PS2, and do agree that Vice City alone makes it worthwhile, I would probably vote for the X-box. Around here it seems that the rental places, and even the stores, have more X-box games than PS2. Of course, this may just the the "grass is always greener" side of me and is only my perception. I also think that the graffics are better on the x-box, and the processor is faster. I really haven't had a chance to play an x-box though, so my time with one is limited to in-store demos. As far as the controller, I think the one for the x-box blows. Its a screwy shape which was designed for looks before play-ability. Also, if you're used to the ps1 controller, then the ps2 controller will be an easy transition; its the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:02:34 AM EDT
XBox. Why? Because Halo is the best damn game out there. Online play is awesome. Despite the massive controller, it is very comfortable and not at all hard to use. I prefer that controller over PS2's. DEFINITELY over Gamecube's (made for a 4 year old or something). Navy ROTC Guy
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:05:54 AM EDT
X-box all the way. It has a two generations beter then avalible on computer graphics chip set made by nVidia. Another nifty thing is that it uses standard IDE hard drives so you can plug a bigger one into it and load burned or downloaded games onto it. Plus it has much beter games the PS-2. Halo and Halo 2...nuff said.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:06:35 AM EDT
The more you use the XBox controller, the more you appreciate it. It's comfortable to use and all of the buttons are much easier to reach without everything being all crammed together.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:08:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:13:01 AM EDT
xbox pros: better graphics better dvd player built in HD. Makes a difference on games and no memory card required has DTS sound comes with 2 games cons: not as many games as PS2 PS2: pros: a lot of games and a lot for 20 bucks cons: graphics are not up to par. not even close. sub par dvd player later lojack
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:14:13 AM EDT
I've been doing the same research for Christmas. Initially I had chosen PS2, but then I asked some people in the know and they told me point-blank that X-Box technology is generations ahead of PS2, and that new games for X-Box are coming out all the time. One guy told me that PS2 would be dead in about a year because its one selling point, more software, is rapidly being debunked, and because from a hardware standpoint it can't hold a candle to X-Box. I've not heard a single complaint against X-Box other than lack of software. But, hey, that's just me. I've got an X-Box on my Christmas list, along with Medal of Honor: Frontline, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Commandos 2, a pair of cool 007 games, Max Payne, and Jedi Outcast. Hell, that's all the games I need! Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:14:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:16:52 AM EDT
I say go with the PS2. Much larger and more varied library of games, plus backwards compatibility with PS1 games. I'd have you note that just about everyone who says the X-Box has better games generally can't mention anything aside from Halo....one game does NOT a system make. Frankly, while I felt Halo was definitely a ground breaking and truly kick-ass game, in terms of pure enjoyment I found FFX and even the original MGS better. I'm also of a mind that I'd rather have a system designed from the ground up as a VGS, than some Redmond wonks bastardizations of a computer system. Then again, I tend to boycott anything X-Box due to Mircosoft's licensing dealings (pushing potential/existing franchise titles to release X-Box only).
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:21:14 AM EDT
Haven't played both as much as I'd like, but I more into computer games, so I'm going with XBOX cause most games that are made for XBOX are made for PC, vice versa. XBOX + newer TV= KICK ASS GAMES
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:25:14 AM EDT
get both. thats what im going to do.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:29:01 AM EDT
Everybody complains that the XBox has fewer games. What do you expect from a system that has been out a year less than PS2? Who cares if you can play PS1 games? How many people actually still play them? I've got an Atari (the original), Sega, Sega Genesis, Nintendo, Nintendo 64, PS1 and XBox. Even if the XBox played all of the games I've got for every system, I'd never play them. They're boring now, they've been beaten already, there's nothing left to do. I'm not saying that the PS2 isn't cool, just that the XBox is better. Everybody that I know that has both all agree that overall the XBox is better and that is what they play most.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:30:47 AM EDT
Having played both, I prefer the XBox. They have better games (although they are fewer). Halo is cool (gives me a headache everytime I play it... any cure for this?). I recently rented Medal of Honor. All I can say is that I don't like it very much. It kinda sucks, IMO. I also rented Ghost Recon. So far, I like it. Any other first person shooter/war games I should try? I'm really used to playing these types of games on a PC. It seems much easier to aim and shoot. It's pretty hard with a controller.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:33:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kalifornia: Having played both, I prefer the XBox. They have better games (although they are fewer). Halo is cool (gives me a headache everytime I play it... any cure for this?).
View Quote
Hahaha....I've got a friend that can't play it unless he takes Dramamine before hand. Otherwise he gets motion sickness. He can't even watch anybody play or he gets sick...[:)]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 12:51:45 PM EDT
XBOX All the way baby! I own both a Ps2 And Xbox, to be honest if it wasn't for Socom I would have probably sold the Ps2. Anybody try Tom Clancy Splinter cell for the Xbox? So far it truly gives Halo a run for its money.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:06:39 PM EDT
If you want 1st person shooter games, stick with a PC, more choices and better games all around (Unreal Tourn, Counterstrike, Ghost Recon...etc) with better controls (you can pick the controllers you want to use), and more choices for online play. However, for the money, I'd probably take an Xbox because you are buying a newer generation hardware for the same price. Basically, you're hedging your bet that the Xbox takes and developers start producing more games for it. Or you can get a PS2, have more games now, and by the time the Xbox builds up a good library of games, you'll likely be looking at a PS3 or whatever that will blow the Xbox out of the water.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:21:55 PM EDT
i have both and like both but, xbox graphics are better than ps2.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:28:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:34:42 PM EDT
I vote for the XBox. If you plan on online multiplayer gaming it seems the XBox is a better bet, easier and cheaper to get going.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:43:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TomJefferson: My kid wants em all........They're like ARs. Gotta have every configuration. Like the PS2 cause I can use it as a DVD on the boat.
View Quote
The XBox is a DVD player as well....
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:49:13 PM EDT
[Homer] hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm HALO [/homer]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:04:47 PM EDT
I own both. Games are what it's all about and there just aren't enough good games out for X-Box. X-Box has a better processor, better graphics card, etc. BFD. Get the PS2. P.S. Grand Theft Auto Vice City is awesome!!! (and is not available for X-Box)
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:34:52 PM EDT
X-box!!! All the way... yup. that's my .02 Worth.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:56:07 PM EDT
Xbox. Technologically miles ahead of anything else, and for $50, you get online broadband gameplay unparreleled by anything the PC or PS@ can offer. Lack of games? Don't give me that, with Mechwarrior, HALO, Splinter Cell, Bloodrayne, Mortal Kombat DA, GT2000 and Unreal Championship, there's enough to keep anyone busy. Ninja Gaiden is coming, too[:D] I would never have a PS2 now that I have my Xbox. It's just going to keep getting better J.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:05:05 PM EDT
PS2
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2002 9:21:20 PM EDT by Dave_A]
Both play DVDs. X-Box: 700Mhz Pentium III (32bit) with a now-old-news GeForce3 graphics processor. i.e. A POS obselete PC, repackaged as a games console, that can't even play PC games. Even Microsoft has stated that they are 'dissapointed' with it's sales, which translates to 'it's destined to join the DreamCast in the dustbin'... PS/2: Purpose-built games console, using a 64bit MIPS CPU, with more games. Backwards compatible with old PS/1 games. And seriously, if you want good graphics in games, UPGRADE YOUR PC INSTEAD! The current PC graphics cards (GeForce 4, ATI Radeon (if you can live with ATI's crappy driver code)) blow away ANYTHING in the games console world (Esp X-3-Box). Also, the 'XBox' online gaming system is just the 'MSN Gaming Zone' repackaged. Nothing new, and I'd still say that the PC has the best online gaming, simply because it's been online longer than most console companies (ex Nintendo, now that Sega no longer does hardware) have been in business. That $50 is better spent on regular broadband internet, not a special console-only service...
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:15:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dave_A: Both play DVDs. X-Box: 700Mhz Pentium III (32bit) with a now-old-news GeForce3 graphics processor. i.e. A POS obselete PC, repackaged as a games console, that can't even play PC games. Even Microsoft has stated that they are 'dissapointed' with it's sales, which translates to 'it's destined to join the DreamCast in the dustbin'... PS/2: Purpose-built games console, using a 64bit MIPS CPU, with more games. Backwards compatible with old PS/1 games. And seriously, if you want good graphics in games, UPGRADE YOUR PC INSTEAD! The current PC graphics cards (GeForce 4, ATI Radeon (if you can live with ATI's crappy driver code)) blow away ANYTHING in the games console world (Esp X-3-Box). =
View Quote
yeah but with a console u just pulg it in and your off no more of the "damn i want this game but i would have to shell out another x dollers to upgrade y part" every couple of months.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:54:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:07:13 PM EDT
Get a PS2 with a Messiah 2 mod chip this year and buy about 30 games for about $180. Next year get a chipped Xbox and about 30 games for the same price or less and you will have enough games to last you till the next genaeration console comes along.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:27:36 PM EDT
Xbox all the way. I own both a PS2 and an Xbox. Since getting the Xbox I have not bought one PS2 game, and I now own 22 Xbox titles. Xbox beats PS2 in graphics, LAN multiplayer, Online multiplayer, hard drive (no more $25 + memory cards) and it has a better controller (give it a little time, trust me). Between the three new consoles, Xbox wins hands down. Unless you have a Mario/Pokemon fetish, Gamecube is really for kids. Unless you MUST have GTA3 or GTA: Vice City, PS2 is getting outdated quickly. You can also get GTA3 on the computer. Pretty much ANY new must have title is going to end up on ALL three systems. So why not have it look the best and have the most features? Not to mention online play out of the box for a lot of the new games. It's $50 for Xbox Live kit which includes 12 months of service. And don’t forget about Xbox only games, Halo and Halo 2 and more. I know it’s been said a lot, but you must play Halo to understand all the hype. You won’t see Xbox exclusives anywhere else. Choice is obvious, get the damn Xbox.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:47:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dave_A: And seriously, if you want good graphics in games, UPGRADE YOUR PC INSTEAD! The current PC graphics cards (GeForce 4, ATI Radeon (if you can live with ATI's crappy driver code)) blow away ANYTHING in the games console world (Esp X-3-Box).
View Quote
I'm sure it must be a real riot with 4 people huddled around your PC while playing a multi-player game.[rolleyes] Some of us are still able and like to actually interact with other human beings, not just play online. Also, a console like the Xbox works wonderfully for a mobile video system. We use ours in our vehicles and hotel rooms to let the kids play games and watch DVDs while traveling. Back to the subject at hand, go with the Xbox. The graphics are better, the gameplay is faster, it's just a better machine. I can't believe people are still whining about the size of the controller. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it is actually very ergonomic. Now, I can't stand playing with those little PS2 controllers and their cramped together buttons.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:49:33 AM EDT
Thanks for the info Guys!! I am in the same boat as the rest. Just trying to figure out which one to get. But if my eye is accurate the majority of the vote is X-Box. Kinda hard to take, cause I am a strait up PS nut. Maybe it is time for a trip to Best Buy and try them both out. More games is no trouble still got the 1st PS and a load of games. Thanks Again Dave c
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 4:06:00 AM EDT
DEC; You won't touch your PS1 games once you get an Xbox or PS2. I haven't played this "halo" that all the x-boxers keep talking about, but for my money Grand Theft Auto Vice City makes the PS2 all worthwhile. Just the whole manner of the gameplay is like no other game that I've ever seen or heard of. You can simply wander (or drive a corvette, ride a motorcycle, steal a cop car, run shit over with a hummer, or fly a helicopter or seaplane) all over the city blowing stuff up, killing gang members (or innocent bystanders and cops) finding awesome little areas from which to sit and snipe the general populace...In short there are very few restrictions in GTA:VC. The only real restriction in GTA3 was the vertical plane, but now in VC they have added the helicopter, and that all goes away. There is a "ceiling" to the city, but its high enough to let you get to the roof of most of the buildings. While wandering around the city you can stop in various locations and get "missions" from some of the locals. Things like "take this chainsaw, go over to this guy's condo, and hack him to bits", or "find the jurors in my upcoming trial and scare them into voting the right way". What's nice about the game is that if you don't like one mission, or you get stuck, chances are there's some other place you can stop in to get another mission while you take a break from the hard one. Also, when you fail a mission, you can take out your frustrations on John Q. Public by running them over or cooking them with a flame thrower. The new Tony Hawk 4 learned from this, and their environments are somewhat the same. You still have various levels, but once inside the level you can skate around and pick your missions, or just pull tricks and get to know the board. Gran Tourismo 3 (or whatever the latest one is) is kind of the same in that you get to pick whatever car you want, and take it on whatever race you want (with certain limits). If they made the game to where you actually drove around a city, changing out cars at your garage, and stopping at tracks to race, then it would be an even better game. That way you could work on your driving skills between races and really feel out the way each car handles. I really have a hard time now playing games that are too linear. We rented Hitman 2 over the Thanksgiving weekend, and I hated the fact taht you had to sit there doing one mission, over and over, until you got it right. Until I know that there are non-linear storyline games available for the xbox, I don't think I'll add one to my system. What's the story with this Halo series? Now that I've rambled on about GTA:VC, maybe one of you xboxers could fill me in on Halo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:00:14 AM EDT
Halo would make the X-Box worth while. I have a PS2 and just think it is better all around though. I think it is more bias than anything. I would not buy the X-Box if I had it to do over again. I am a big fan of the Gran Turismo series. If you can wait, the PS3 should be out in a year or so.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:15:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ponyboy:
Originally Posted By Kalifornia: Having played both, I prefer the XBox. They have better games (although they are fewer). Halo is cool (gives me a headache everytime I play it... any cure for this?).
View Quote
Hahaha....I've got a friend that can't play it unless he takes Dramamine before hand. Otherwise he gets motion sickness. He can't even watch anybody play or he gets sick...[:)]
View Quote
That sucks [:(] I own a PS2, will end up getting an Xbox later when more games come out. They are both good systems with the Xbox teetering on great.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:34:15 AM EDT
X-box HALO Mech Assault 'nuff said
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 8:55:17 AM EDT
get both. on a side note- Anyone here play SOCOM Navy Seals with the PS2 Network adapter? The game is pretty badass online.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:29:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By norman74: Now that I've rambled on about GTA:VC, maybe one of you xboxers could fill me in on Halo.
View Quote
Halo 2 is a lot like Halo 1, only it's Halo 1 on fire, going 130 miles per hour through a hospital zone, being chased by helicopters and ninjas... And the ninjas are all on fire, too." - Jason Jones Bungie Studios
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:00:43 PM EDT
OK, so is it just a regular first person shooter but with great graphics and cool weapons? I'm just not very entertained by the whole FPS thing anymore. The idea of playing online is somewhat intriguing, like in SOCOM. But I don't have a DSL/cable modem, so I'm still playing the old-fashioned way. Anyone else feel free to weigh in and let me know what's so great about Halo 1/2.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:07:15 PM EDT
If you can afford it get all three, If you go by choice I would say the ps2, although I would agree that the xbox is better hard ware, I like that most games avail for the xbox are on the ps2. ps2 has gta3 and gta vice city. you can use ps1 stuff on the ps2.. The ps2 can play dvds right out of the box, where as the xbox needs an adapter about $30-$40.. Chances are when they come out with the ps3 it should be compatible with the ps2.. Check out your local blockbuster they sometimes sell their used machines.. Buy one type of machine new and one type used maybe.. good luck
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:25:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2002 12:38:03 AM EDT by Sewer_Urchin]
I personally own an X-Box and I like it a lot. I have a friend who has the PS2 and it is also a good system. However, when it comes to graffics, the X-Box blows the PS2 out of the water. Although it has been argued that the x-box is an outdated computer, the same could be said about the PS2 only the PS2 is a generation more outdated. I mostly play sports games like NFL 2k3, Madden, blitz and NBA Live. Since most of these titles are available on both systems, it is easy to compare the two consoles. The X-box, loads faster, has better graffics. The quality graffics are most important when you have to look for a small hockey puck or make quick adjustments to a pass in football or basketball. This is where the X-box holds an advantage. As far as game titles, the PS2 has been out significantly longer than the X-box, giving developers more time to come out with games. Remember when VHS was all the rage and that we only had a few DVD titles to choose from? But due to suprior graffics and quality DVDs have displaced VHS much like the X-Box will displace the PS2. Be patient, the games will come. I will concede however, that the PS2 has cheaper games. The whole $49.99 per X-Box game kind of hurts after you get as many as I have. edited for spelling and clairity
Top Top