Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/2/2002 2:36:56 PM EDT
Does the ATF, soon to be the ATFE, being moved from the Treasury Department to the Justice Department have any effect on us? I know that Clinton had someone in the Treasury department make the ruling that banned new receivers and parts kits. I'm just wondering who would be in charge of doing something like that now and how it might affect us. [url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/press/fy03press/112702homelandatf.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:39:40 PM EDT
Well, this means that they now ultimately report to John Ashcroft... So it depends on your level of trust or paranoia about him.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:42:32 PM EDT
I'm sure it can't be good. The ATF is an example of why one doesn't mix alcohol and firearms. [:)] SSD
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:56:28 PM EDT
Well, I think the move reflects the de facto shift (now statutorily recognized) in the ATF from a tax collection agency to a law enforcement agency; still, a fundamental shift in focus. Obviously, the ATF under Treasury has been engaged in both revenue collection and enforcement for many years. However, it seems that Justice's primary focus is to catch you in a crime, NOT to collect and pass out tax stamps. We just may see a real shift and corresponding push toward increased investigations of mere "code violations" that are not "bundled" with more serious offenses. (i.e. "is that AR-15 really a legal pre-ban or not" as the only investigative purpose). Though, Justice may be MORE reticent to devote resources to mere code violations than was a dedicated ATF agency. We'll just have to keep an eye on this one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:49:38 PM EDT
my tin foil hat can handle it
Top Top