Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2002 3:43:25 AM EDT
[b][url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$3G0FU5MCAIUF1QFIQMFSFF
4AVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2002/12/01/ncrime01.xml&sSheet=/news/2002/12/01/ixhome.
html&secureRefresh=true]England has worst crime rate in world[/url][/b]

By David Bamber, Home Affairs Correspondent
(Filed: 01/12/2002)

England and Wales have the highest crime rate among the world's leading
economies, according to a new report by the United Nations.

The survey, which is likely to prove embarrassing to David Blunkett, the
Home Secretary. shows that people are more likely to be mugged, burgled,
robbed or assaulted here than in America, Germany, Russia, South Africa or
any other of the world's 20 largest nations. Only the Dominican Republic,
New Zealand and Finland have higher crime rates than England and Wales.

According to the comparison of international crime statistics produced by
the UN's Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention, England and Wales had
9,766 crimes for every 100,000 people in the year 2000. America had 8,517,
South Africa 7,997, Germany 7,621 and Russia 2,022.

During the period 1998-2000, Britain went from fifth to fourth worst in the
world league table. An analysis of total recorded crime figures before 1998
also suggests that England and Wales have moved sharply up the league table
since Labour came to power in 1997. Crimes fell from 5.5 million in 1993 to
4.5 million in 1997. By 1999, total crimes had risen again to 5.3 million.

Last night Oliver Letwin, the shadow home secretary, said: "This does rather
blow a hole in David Blunkett's claim that New Labour has crime under
control. It is a damning picture."

The UN reports also shows that England and Wales are the second-worst places
in the world for assaults, with 851 people assaulted per 100,000, and
seventh for burglaries and car theft, with 1,579 burglaries per 100,000
population.

Criminologists believe that a note of caution needs to be introduced into
analysis of the data, because of the different ways in which UN member
countries record crimes.

A Home Office spokesman said that officials had not yet seen the report and
so could not comment.

Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#1]
They obviously need more gun control.  I guess they could start banning....um....er....is there anything left?  Haven't they already banned pellet guns?  Why hasn't crime gone down?  I don't understand!  [:O]

Quoted:
[b]England has worst crime rate in world[/b]
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 4:30:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I've spent a little more than a month outside of London on work broken up over the last few years, and it never made any sense to me that their crime was any lower than ours. They go around thinking that crime in the US is much worse, and it blows my mind.

Petty crime seems to be wildly out of control, and not just in central London, but even in the smaller cities around it. Vandalism would appear to be a British national past-time. Violent crime on the other hand seems to be about par with here, that is to say rare.

All of it is very strange because their justice system should be much more swift to lock people up... all of the freedoms and process we have don't exist there. Last time I was over they had locked someone up on suspicion of murder because he wouldn't answer some of the questions the police were asking. No other evidence.

It goes way beyond guns... it's amazing how many freedoms they don't have, or have given up, for the safety and betterment of society, and yet society isn't any better. Things like this reinforces (for me) that the guys that wrote our Constitution were fricken geniuses.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Things like this reinforces (for me) that the guys that wrote our Constitution were fricken geniuses.
View Quote

They indeed were.  Sadly, a long line of morons are doing their best to undo what our Founding Fathers created.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#4]
They must have just passed AUSTRALIA

Burglary capital of western world
By Chris Taylor
November 03, 2002

AUSTRALIA has become the burglary capital of the Western world - and robbers are snubbing their noses at the justice system.

Latest Australian Bureau of Statistics figures obtained by The Sunday Mail reveal 269 criminals were jailed when charged with burglary as their main offence in Queensland's higher criminal courts during 2000-01.

In the same period, more than 77,000 break-ins were reported on Queensland homes and businesses.

The ABS figures showed another 190 burglars were given community service, probation or a fine after appearing before the state's District Courts.

Shadow attorney-general Lawrence Springborg said many burglars, especially juvenile offenders, were laughing at the justice system.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
i tell this to a "friend" who has a hardon for the uk and his response is

"they have fewer murders than we do"

is that true?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Finland worse?  I find that hard to believe, I've been there a few times, and they still leave their car doors unlocked, motorboats tied up with no locks, kids toys all over the yard with no theft.

They are also very trustworthy.  I remember buying a bunch of parts from a company office, went across town to pick them up at the warehouse, realized I needed more, and they just gave me $200 more worth of stuff and told me they trusted me to drive back across town and pay the front office.  This was a company I had never dealt with before, and was paying cash for everything.

Finland also allows most civilians to own full auto, silencers, etc...  There was a good writeup on them in the latest Small Arms Review.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

is that true?
View Quote

Yes.  But that is quickly changing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

is that true?
View Quote

Yes and no. They have fewer firearm committed murders becaause they emasculated themselves. Blunt object and knife murders are the most common there and their murder rate is rising. On a total number of murders per year they are of course far fewer since they don't have our numbers. On a per capita basis they are just behind us. If you exclude murders committed in the US done by blacks and only include those committed by whites, asians, and indians which is the same racial make-up as Great Britain, then they have more murders per year.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Gun Related crime is going thru the roof in the UK.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#11]
On par with their dental care I take? [BD]

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Finland worse?  I find that hard to believe, I've been there a few times, and they still leave their car doors unlocked, motorboats tied up with no locks, kids toys all over the yard with no theft.

They are also very trustworthy.  I remember buying a bunch of parts from a company office, went across town to pick them up at the warehouse, realized I needed more, and they just gave me $200 more worth of stuff and told me they trusted me to drive back across town and pay the front office.  This was a company I had never dealt with before, and was paying cash for everything.

Finland also allows most civilians to own full auto, silencers, etc...  There was a good writeup on them in the latest Small Arms Review.
View Quote

It´s pretty calm here. Only problem so far is drugs and prostitution, both coming mainly from Russia and Estonia. Homicides done here are mady by knives and clubs and such hardly ever with firearms and usually by drunken people.

Gun owners here are very careful people, if you fool around that gives excuse for officials to take your guns away and after that you are not appropriate citizen to own one.

Is it possible to read that Small Arms Review article online?

MN
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Law enforcement and anti-crime activists regularly claim that the United States tops the charts in most crime-rate categories, but a new international study says that America's former master -- Great Britain -- has much higher levels of crime.

The International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by Leiden University in Holland, found that England and Wales ranked second overall in violent crime among industrialized nations.

Twenty-six percent of English citizens -- roughly one-quarter of the population -- have been victimized by violent crime. Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized.

The United States didn't even make the "top 10" list of industrialized nations whose citizens were victimized by crime.

Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#14]
[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2001/02/23/ncrim123.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

is that true?
View Quote

Yes and no. They have fewer firearm committed murders becaause they emasculated themselves. Blunt object and knife murders are the most common there and their murder rate is rising. On a total number of murders per year they are of course far fewer since they don't have our numbers. On a per capita basis they are just behind us. If you exclude murders committed in the US done by blacks and only include those committed by whites, asians, and indians which is the same racial make-up as Great Britain, then they have more murders per year.
View Quote

I think you might want to do some fact checking.  They HAVE NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE to as many murders, or a murder rate even close to ours.  The murder rate is swiftly going up, but it isn't even close to our murder rate, or number of murders.  We have 300,000,000 people or so, they have 60,000,000 or so last time I checked.  In 2000 they had less than a hundred murders commited with any weapon, we had almost 10,000.  Big difference.  They do have a much higher violent crime victimization rate than we do, and have had a higher rate for decades.  Rapes, strong arm thefts (armed robbery), home invasion burglaries, beatings, etc. are quite common in England.  The most dangerous city in the industrialized world is Manchester.  As of 2000 they had a violent crime victimization rate of 336 or 337 victims per [b]1000[/b] people.  You are statisically almost guaranteed to be a victim of violent crime if you live in England or Wales.  Interestingly, Scotland doesn't have the same problems.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 You are statisically almost guaranteed to be a victim of violent crime if you live in England or Wales.  Interestingly, Scotland doesn't have the same problems.
View Quote

The difference between Scotland and England for overall crime is 3%

England 26%
Scotland 23%

In the above graph they appear to be quite even for violent crime.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#17]
M4A2_L073754,

It is not available on line.  Was the December 2002 Issue, Vol.6, Number 3.

Had a good article on the Military Museum in Helsinki, and another one at a shooting range where they shot an L/S-26, KK62, M62 Valmet, MP5, Soumi M31, and a Russian PKM.

One of the magazines publishers posts here ocassionally, and was pretty courteous about sending me a new copy when I got one missing some pages.  It might be worth a try emailing them to see if you could buy a back issue.

[url]www.smallarmsreview.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think you might want to do some fact checking.  They HAVE NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE to as many murders, or a murder rate even close to ours.  The murder rate is swiftly going up, but it isn't even close to our murder rate, or number of murders.  We have 300,000,000 people or so, they have 60,000,000 or so last time I checked.  In 2000 they had less than a hundred murders commited with any weapon, we had almost 10,000.  Big difference.  They do have a much higher violent crime victimization rate than we do, and have had a higher rate for decades.  Rapes, strong arm thefts (armed robbery), home invasion burglaries, beatings, etc. are quite common in England.  The most dangerous city in the industrialized world is Manchester.  As of 2000 they had a violent crime victimization rate of 336 or 337 victims per [b]1000[/b] people.  You are statisically almost guaranteed to be a victim of violent crime if you live in England or Wales.  Interestingly, Scotland doesn't have the same problems.
View Quote

Read what I wrote. I addressed real numbers vs. per capita. Also, if you remove blacks from the equation, as I stated, their mured rate is equal to or greater than ours. In strict per capita, it runs about 1/3 to 1/2 of ours. GB is rapidly becoming a 3rd world nation crime wise. You can thanks the Labour party, which is GB's version of the Democrats.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Law enforcement and anti-crime activists regularly claim that the United States tops the charts in most crime-rate categories,
The United States didn't even make the "top 10" list of industrialized nations whose citizens were victimized by crime.
View Quote

The LE people want to scare the sheeple into giving them more money to fight crime.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone got a link to that Leiden University survey?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by Leiden University in Holland, found that England and Wales ranked second overall in violent crime among industrialized nations.

Twenty-six percent of English citizens -- roughly one-quarter of the population -- have been victimized by violent crime. Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized.

View Quote

Do you have a link. I would like to read the the report.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Read what I wrote. I addressed real numbers vs. per capita. Also, if you remove blacks from the equation, as I stated, their mured rate is equal to or greater than ours. In strict per capita, it runs about 1/3 to 1/2 of ours. GB is rapidly becoming a 3rd world nation crime wise. You can thanks the Labour party, which is GB's version of the Democrats.
View Quote

I read what you wrote, either way, they have a lower rate, and a lower number.  When making scientific comparisons you can't exclude one group to skew the results to the desired end.  That's exactly what the liberals do.  So we can't realistically exclude black criminal behavior simply because it predominates our crime rate.  The UK has a fair number of blacks as well (Africans and Jamaicans), and they commit a disproportionate amount of crime just like they do here.  If you excluded blacks from the running I think you'd be surprised.  Also, I heard from a guy (London Metro Police) on a police discussion board that most of the folks he nabs for crime, petty and violent, are young Indians and Middle Easterners.  Asians present problems too from what he was saying.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
NO! NO!
Acording to my dinner date last Sunday,crime is non existent in England!
"Why,the police dont even carry guns!"

Guess when date #2 is going to be?
View Quote

A cold day in hell?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I cant find a link to the ACTUAL survey. Just many many sites who are quoting it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Obviously in England it's better to be raped once, burglarized twice and assaulted three times over the course of your life than to shoot  a lowlife gangsta punk in self-defense even just once.

Fuck 'em.

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I lived there for a few years. Jeez I hate that fuckin place and its faggy people.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
M4A2_L073754,

It is not available on line.  Was the December 2002 Issue, Vol.6, Number 3.

Had a good article on the Military Museum in Helsinki, and another one at a shooting range where they shot an L/S-26, KK62, M62 Valmet, MP5, Soumi M31, and a Russian PKM.

One of the magazines publishers posts here ocassionally, and was pretty courteous about sending me a new copy when I got one missing some pages.  It might be worth a try emailing them to see if you could buy a back issue.

[url]www.smallarmsreview.com[/url]
View Quote

Thanks Ed_P. I can buy that copy from my bookstore, there is lots of gun magazines from US.

MN
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, those Englishmen are really criminally inclined.

=================================================================
[Editorial from British National Party]

London Faces Multicultural Gang War

Not many visitors to the BNP web site will have read an article that the "Guardian" newspaper carried on Saturday. On the closing day of November the voice of the liberal ruling establishment published an article about the very real prospect of gang war on the streets of Britain's biggest city. Mike Fuller, Scotland Yard's deputy assistant commissioner, said London's homegrown crime families and its gangs of Turks, Kurds, Albanians, Chinese and Jamaicans appear on the brink of a wave of turf wars for control of Britain's multimillion-dollar heroin and cocaine trade.

Probably not one of the intended benefits of the multi-cultural experiment, a battle took place two weeks ago on the streets of north London, involving drug gangs armed with guns, bats and knives that left half of the fighters so hurt they couldn't even crawl away. Now Scotland Yard is warning that London's gangs may be bidding for a major turf war. Police say the melee on November 10th in Haringey involved Turkish and Kurdish drug dealers who control 70 percent of Britain's heroin trade. According to the Kurdish news agency 6 youths were attacked by a gang of 150 supporters of the Kurdish group, PKK, after an argument about protection money. The gang chanted in the shop ?Biji Serok Apo ? Long live leader Ocalan? before attacking the workers in the shop.

Followers of Marxist Kurdish rebel Ocalan continue the battle for control of the streets of London.

``There's no precedent for this level of violence involving criminal gangs in London, or anywhere else in Britain,'' Stephen James, the police commander in the area, said.

Two people were killed, four were left on life support, and 20 were so battered they could barely move, he said. Protection rackets are commonplace:

``We're scared,'' said Medine Umut, 25, a cashier at the Turkish Food Market. ``Will we be the next store that has to pay the gangs off? We hear that teenagers who want to withdraw from the gangs are being threatened with death.''

The joys of multi-culturalism! Thanks to Tony Blair and his ilk, the streets of this once great capital city are home to the same appalling violence from which these supposed refugees allegedly fled. If New Labour wants to live up to its pre-election promise of "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" the first immediate step is to seal the borders, stop any further migration, then deal with the bogus refugees who are bringing war to our streets.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top