Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2002 9:14:50 AM EDT
So. My Mom needs to come up with cash last week so we can get some groceries. She decides to pawn her two diamonds for a couple of weeks so we can go to the grocery store. The emasculation I go through is both painful and irrelevent to the main story, so I will skip that part. Anyway, while we are waiting for a free clerk, I notice a [b]POST-BAN[/b] AR-15 on the wall. I don't really get a chance to look it over very well. But I do notice the price. [b]$1599.99!![/b] This is shock number one. Next, someone finally gets to a point where he offers to help us. He loks at the two [b]DIAMOND[/b] rings and tell my Mom he can give her $35.00 for [b]BOTH[/b]. Well, she would have to pay back $45.00 in 30 days to get her rings back. Okay..... There are 12.17 (rounded) 30-day periods in one year That makes $121.70 annual interest (rounded) That works out to approx [b]348%[/b] interest POST-BAN AR-15: $1599.99 TWO DIAMOND RINGS: $35.00 KNOWING WHEN TO WALK AWAY: [b]PRICELESS![/b] Scott
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:19:53 AM EDT
Pawn shops are just legal loan sharking.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:22:22 AM EDT
Pawnshop workers and owners are the scum of the earth. Most are the kind of people that would sell their children.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:23:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar10er: Pawn shops are just legal loan sharking.
View Quote
Now you are getting me thinking about opening another one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:26:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevilsAdvocate: Pawnshop workers and owners are the scum of the earth. Most are the kind of people that would sell their children.
View Quote
Hey Now! I resemble that comment! I am providing a service to the people. Besides I don't have any kids. Wanna buy a dog? [:D]
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:27:55 AM EDT
Ok, so MAYBE there are a couple out there who are OK. I said maybe. LOL
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:31:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevilsAdvocate: Ok, so MAYBE there are a couple out there who are OK. I said maybe. LOL
View Quote
But would he charge $1599.99 for a post ban? Would ya 1GUNRUNNER?
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:33:00 AM EDT
View Quote
If I loan a friend money and charge 34.8% interest, I am committing a crime. But the government encourages this level of income with a license. It comes down to the money the government makes. I'm not blaming the pawn shops. Not even the check-advance places. The government lets them operate by licensing that kind of interest..... Scott
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:35:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar10er:
Originally Posted By DevilsAdvocate: Ok, so MAYBE there are a couple out there who are OK. I said maybe. LOL
View Quote
View Quote
1599 is just asking price.Im sure he would've taken 1500 cash : 0 )
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:37:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DScottHewitt:
View Quote
If I loan a friend money and charge 34.8% interest, I am committing a crime. But the government encourages this level of income with a license. It comes down to the money the government makes. I'm not blaming the pawn shops. Not even the check-advance places. The government lets them operate by licensing that kind of interest..... Scott
View Quote
Like the lottery. Las Vegas would love to run a scam like the gov sponsored lottery!
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:17:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
Originally Posted By ar10er:
View Quote
View Quote
1599 is just asking price.Im sure he would've taken 1500 cash : 0 )
View Quote
You want the upper [i]and[i] the lower? [:D]
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:57:19 AM EDT
The only thing I go into my local pawn shop is for transfers. They're cheaper then the dealers. I find some interesting things there, just to look at....lots of shot guns, old military bolt guns, and lever actions.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 10:58:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Originally Posted By DevilsAdvocate: Pawnshop workers and owners are the scum of the earth. Most are the kind of people that would sell their children.
View Quote
Hey Now! I resemble that comment! I am providing a service to the people. Besides I don't have any kids. Wanna buy a dog? [:D]
View Quote
Maybe. Are pawn shop dogs as mean as junk yard dogs? [:D] What pecentage of pawned items get redeemed? I would think it's pretty low.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:44:59 AM EDT
I've used pawn shops over the years. Sometimes because I needed money, other times just to "dump" some junk. There were a few about 10 mins. from a place I worked at a few years ago. I got a hour for lunch , so I'd make the rounds a couple times a week. Got some decent deals once they got to know me. It got to the point that when I walked in they would say"Hey, you gotta see what I got coming out in a day or two" and bring me in the back to show me some high dollar tool(I'm in construction) or a gun that they thought I'd like. Yeah, it's legal loan sharking. If ya don't wanna pay the interest, don't borrow the money. What I hate is the shops that think all their stuff is made of gold or somethin'. When I ask what their best price is on something and they say "That's it on the tag." I laugh as I'm walking out the door.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 11:51:52 AM EDT
Top Top