Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2002 8:26:39 AM EDT
Does anyone here have any experience with satellite phones?  I'm thinking of buying one to use for emergencies like getting stranded in the boonies or if somebody gets hurt while 4wheeling out in the middle of nowhere.  They finally have prepaid satellite, so you don't have to pay the high charges every month, just a $12 network access fee and around $1.60 per minute.  Not cheap, but far from expensive when you really need it.

Is this a good idea, or am I getting into more than I expect?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I was looking at sat phone as well.  Some of my travels took me far away from cell service and thought it to be a good emergency equip addition.

The biggest challenge was the equipment.  Pretty pricy.  The per minute charge wasn't too bad, considering the primary use of it, but the $$$ of the CDMA/Sat phones were a bit out of my ball park.

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The equipment costs do suck.  Globalstar has one for $600 which isn't as bad as some I've seen.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top