Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I just received a bottle of Wild Turkey 101, each from two students.  Couple bottles of good bourbon is a nice tip.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
DK what do you profess?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
World's smallest violin........
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
How much is an A or a B?

How much is the recording I made of you answering that question worth?  .
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've given out some steaks to professors I've liked before
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Alternate idea: the Profs become independent contractors and charge you a fee for their class directly and then they pay the university a set fee for lecture hall and lab time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Free tattoo of your choice would be fitting gratuity.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Inspired by several threads - one about tipping, and one about whether or not college students are really the "customer" (since they pay tuition) - I was wondering what level of tipping y'all think would be appropriate for a college professor.

If you consider the student the customer, then I think we can all agree that there can be a huge variation in the quality of instruction - from totally incompetent faculty, to fucking incomprehensible foreigner, or old farts who are just phoning it in - but also really good instructors that are engaging and put a lot of effort into the class.  If you assume that the instructors get paid the same, then it seems there's no incentive for better performance.  Tipping could fix that.  

But what kind of tipping should it be?

Is it sort of like a meal, in that students should tip something like 15-20% of the tuition cost for the class at the end of the semester?

Or is it more like a coffee shop, with a tip jar, and people throw in a few bucks at the end of each class session?

Or maybe like the guy that delivers your refrigerator?  You might give him $20 if he's not a dick.

Or maybe like a stripper?  If the class is particularly good, students can just get up an shove a dollar bill down my pants or something?

View Quote

The OP is aka, "Clodski Sucksdickski".  LOL!
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Depends if you are a hot chick or not.  

Since I already have tenure, my best and final offer is nothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much is an A or a B?

Depends if you are a hot chick or not.  

How much is the recording I made of you answering that question worth?  

Since I already have tenure, my best and final offer is nothing.

Yes sir.  

Who am I kidding, you guys are pros at dealing with college kid BS and I have too much penis to be persuasive

One of my more fond (because its funny now, but wasn't at the time) college memories was sitting in a profs office arguing for a passing exam grade.  I failed an exam because I misread a 3 as an 8 in a math problem worth 45% of the test grade.  He listened.  He empathized.  He agreed I did all of the work correctly using the misread number.  After kindly listening to me say everything I had to say he finally responded with "That sucks.  But 'no partial credit' is in the syllabus you signed".  I'm sure I looked like a deer in an 18 wheeler's headlights
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That would be a very interesting model - but it would potentially cause all sorts of problems for the accreditation of degrees, which might be a practical snag in terms of actually doing something like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alternate idea: the Profs become independent contractors and charge you a fee for their class directly and then they pay the university a set fee for lecture hall and lab time.

That would be a very interesting model - but it would potentially cause all sorts of problems for the accreditation of degrees, which might be a practical snag in terms of actually doing something like that.

I'm sure the university could come up with a way to properly vet them and maintain academic integrity.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Your faith in the competence of universities tells me you don't work for one.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure the university could come up with a way to properly vet them and maintain academic integrity.

Your faith in the competence of universities tells me you don't work for one.  

Can't be any worse than some of the tenured retards currently on faculty.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the idea of a collection plate.  For best results, pass it around just before each test/exam.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I give my professors a firm handshake when I turn in my finals. Thats it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Assuming you're into that sort of thing, I always thought banging grad students was the extra compensation granted to tenured professors.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top