Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 30
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So they were putting along at the speed limit when the race car spontaneously combusted and fell apart?
View Quote

Apparently it's designed to break in half and blow up at low speed collisions, especially when there's race-drivers inside who never take cars like that above legally posted speed limits.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Cops just cleared Paul Walker's fans and all media from the crash site ... in order to prepare for a private family memorial ... TMZ has learned.

Thousands of Walker's fans have been gathering on the site since
Saturday afternoon to pay their respects -- but moments ago sheriff's
deputies dispersed the crowd ... as well as all reporters and
photographers.

A source close to Paul and Roger Rodas tells us the families just wanted some private time to mourn while visiting the site of the tragedy.

According to law enforcement sources ... a production company also
obtained a permit to film in the area tonight. Unclear at this point
what is being shot or by whom.

http://www.tmz.com/

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So they were putting along at the speed limit when the race car spontaneously combusted and fell apart?
View Quote

CGT is made in the chevy volt factory?

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
TMZ reports he was doing 45 in a 15 and you guys just accept that?

Bullshit.  He hit a 45 mph sign while in the "15 mph zone".

No way that car was going 45.  I'm still going with the 100+ mph the damage shows instead tmz's "inside information."
View Quote

Well show prove of it then. All anybody here can do is go by what the news is reporting so far.

Lots of know it all's here that don't have a fucking clue other than what we are reading on the news.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well show prove of it then. All anybody here can do is go by what the news is reporting so far.

Lots of know it all's here that don't have a fucking clue other than what we are reading on the news.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No way that car was going 45.  I'm still going with the 100+ mph the damage shows instead tmz's "inside information."

When the news reports don't add up, it's not us that need to do the proving.  Think about it.  He crashed in a 15 mph zone while hitting a 45 mph sign.   Do some critical thinking.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It for sure left fluids all over the place after it hit. Granted I've never had a Carrera GT but most Porches have the fluids in the rear.  The front is a trunk of sorts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Witness reports discussed a few pages back that it was leaking fluids. All the info combined paints a realistic picture.
It for sure left fluids all over the place after it hit. Granted I've never had a Carrera GT but most Porches have the fluids in the rear.  The front is a trunk of sorts.

Radiators are up front in front of the tires. Three.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sure it is...but that's not what happened.

Red line is a 45mph zone and their direction of travel

Red circle is where they crashed

Green pointer is the 15mph corner

http://i44.tinypic.com/28aibki.jpg

View Quote

So what's the theory - that he lost traction accelerating out of the corner, over-corrected, and went off the road?

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Like I just said. Show prove other than what your reading on the news.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When the news reports don't add up, it's not us that need to do the proving.  Think about it.  He crashed in a 15 mph zone while hitting a 45 mph sign.   Do some critical thinking.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't crash in a 15mph, and you continuing to say that, won't make it true.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TMZ is reporting that.  At the same time they said he was doing 45.  You're proving my point.  The reporting is full of shit.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

TMZ is reporting that.  At the same time they said he was doing 45.  You're proving my point.  The reporting is full of shit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea they probably meant he crashed in a 45mph  zone with a 15mph turn coming up.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
They had to be going mach 1 or that Porsche was blown up.  Can anyone here confirm that these GTs are designed to incinerate like this?  I mean seriously...it's $400,000 car!!!! What about this GT crash?   It didn't explode...

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yea they probably meant he crashed in a 45mph  zone with a 15mph turn coming up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not the way the story reads.  It makes it sound like he was doing 30 over when he was clearly in a 45 zone.  He even wrecked into the sign.  The reporting is full of shit and I don't believe for a second he was going less than 100.  We'll find out in coming weeks.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]
still amazed that so many care about this guy yet I've never even heard of him.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They had to be going mach 1 or that Porsche was blown up.  Can anyone here confirm that these GTs are designed to incinerate like this?  I mean seriously...it's $400,000 car!!!!  You don't think enough R&D has been put into it's design to make it safe enough from just about anything?  What about this GT crash?  It didn't explode...

http://youtu.be/isU6roLVHE0

View Quote

It happens easily enough with race cars - fuming/vapor is a real problem for all makes and all classes.  That's why there are fire teams on standby in the event of a simple spark - especially when fuel is being handled.  (Look for the two guys dressed in fire gear standing behind the fueler).

When a tank ruptures like that and so much fume/vapor is in the air I wouldn't be surprised if an ignition happens.  A simple electrostatic charge is all that is required if the air ratio is right and it obviously was in this situation.

I suspect that they were going faster than 45MPH.  I've never seen a track car splinter like that at 45MPH.  Underneath the plastic or carbon fiber is a tubular steel frame.  It doesn't bend that dramatically unless there is a huge amount of force.  The very fact that the car snapped in two makes me think that the car was moving very quickly.  Usually you see cars separate into pieces when accidents happen in excess of 70MPH.  Force increases far more significantly than you would imagine between 30 and 60MPH.

There certainly are a lot of guesses here..  I don't see the reason why you guys are fighting over it (not directed at you, Chaos).  I don't have the answers either.. just conjecture.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They had to be going mach 1 or that Porsche was blown up.  Can anyone here confirm that these GTs are designed to incinerate like this?  I mean seriously...it's $400,000 car!!!! What about this GT crash?   It didn't explode...

View Quote

I wonder what he had on McChrystal.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

I had never heard of fatalwishes until he posted. Take a fucking hike.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

An actor in the fast and furious movies. Seemed like a hell of a good man from what you read about him.

People came to speculate, talk shit, and blah, blah. blah. Typical GD bullshit. I should no know better than to come to GD.

ETA: Thanks Timco. I corrected it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

An actor in the fast and furious movies. Seemed like a hell of a good man from what you read about him.

People came to speculate, talk shit, and blah, blah. blah. Typical GD bullshit. I should no better than to come to GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People came to speculate, talk shit, and blah, blah. blah. Typical GD bullshit. I should no better than to come to GD.

Know.

Know better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, I think I'll hang around and enrage you, Chachi.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Wow they moved those barriers when they hit that thing.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

People came to speculate, talk shit, and blah, blah. blah. Typical GD bullshit. I should no know better than to come to GD.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you acquired 20K+ posts chatting in the technicals.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

You never heard of him because he wasn't the typical hollyweird douchebag.

He was a decent guy, by all accounts. As was Roger Rodas.

Two successful people with a mutual hobby, good jobs, and lots of free time spent doing lots of charity work.

It's sad. Movies aside, the world lost two good men.

This article talks about Rodas, read it.

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/12/roger-rodas-paul-walker-crash-dead-dies/

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't like the truth? You could leave the thread, but that would take away your opportunity to jump up and down like a drunk circus monkey screaming about how you don't like his movies or him and blame all the world's issues on him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irony.

Yep, he's fighting harder than anyone here. It's obviously an emotional thing for him at this point.

okey dokey

Don't like the truth? You could leave the thread, but that would take away your opportunity to jump up and down like a drunk circus monkey screaming about how you don't like his movies or him and blame all the world's issues on him.

LOL

Thanks for outing yourself, Mastermind

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is without any question the weirdest thread I've seen on arfcom.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe it might have something to do with the car, in the video you posted, didn't hit a fkn concrete pole in the fuel tank area?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Mechanical failure.

For the arfcom assholes:

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#29]

10:45 PM PT -- Vin Diesel just spoke
to fans at the crash site. Right after the private memorial ended, fans
were allowed back to the area ... and Walker's co-star and friend got on
a patrol car loudspeaker to say, "Thank you for coming down here and
showing that angel up in heaven how much you appreciated him."

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXqofX3tnT8

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY??? Lol
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is your Google broken?

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#32]

"The people who run the shop owned by the dead guys say"

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I guess we really shouldn't be surprised he went out like he did............
"Paul Walker liked his cars fast fast fast -- in fact, he once boasted about hitting a top speed of 185 MPH -- and it wasn't on a racetrack ... it was on a freeway."

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/02/paul-walker-fast-cars-freeway-racetrack-crash-top-speed-185/
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Like I just said. Show prove other than what your reading on the news.
View Quote

Proof.

You want him to show proof.....
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:18:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I love this thread.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:22:36 AM EDT
[#36]

and speeding

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#37]
First I will say,  These men died a horrible death,  I really hope they were not capable of realizing they were burning to death after the initial wreck.  I will not mock them weather they were fucking off or not.  Who hasn't fucked off in their life?  I really feel for their children and family left behind.  May they RIP.

I know I have done some seriously stupid shit in my life.

I have for the most part tried to avoid this thread due to the chest thumping armchair commandos showing their asses.  I will say there are some real despicable comments in this thread.

I don't know how fast they were going.  But here are a few pics of a CGT chassis.  It is a carbon fiber composite,  with a breakaway engine compartment.

I don't know if the car splitting is a result of hitting the pole or if it hit any trees,  but hitting anything at almost any speed in a direction the car was not engineered to hit things is going to fuck shit up.   Hitting a pole and/or trees sideways with your car is like being chopped with a cleaver,  there is no room for energy dissipation.

As far as the pole they hit,  It was spun concrete (hollow inside),  just because the concrete is blown off of the rebar does not necessarily mean the were hauling ass.  All that means is the concrete took enough of a shock to crack and the pole,  losing it's rigidity and the rebar collapsed.  Look up how spun concrete poles are made.

You can clearly see the rear section is bolted with a few bolts to the "pod".  

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sure. I just don't see any way a Porsche could leak enough fluid to lose enough contact patch to lose control. In other words I'm not buying the leaky fluid theory one bit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Witness reports discussed a few pages back that it was leaking fluids. All the info combined paints a realistic picture.

I've been on the scene of a few accidents through the years. It's probably almost 1000. It could be more, some days I'm at 3 or more. Some days none, I guess it evens out. Either way, I like to think I know a little something about them. Just a little, MAYBE even a little more than a layman. Just maybe.

The difference between leaking before and after from a moving car is blatant.
Sure. I just don't see any way a Porsche could leak enough fluid to lose enough contact patch to lose control. In other words I'm not buying the leaky fluid theory one bit.

Wasn't there mention in one story (from the Telegraph or some other brit source) saying a possible power steering failure?

I would think a loss of power steering would fall in the "potential possibilities" file for causing a driver to lose control.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh

My 89 year old Grandfather hadn't heard of him either.

He's pretty unaware of things too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Ehh?...It's a bad ole deal...piling-up an expensive car and dying in the process..

About like the time I ordered pizza delivered...wait wait wait...no pizza but had heard sirens.....anyhow..after an hour and a half I called the pizza-place to see what the fuck happened to my pizza??

Pizza place informed me my pizza(and the delivery driver) had died in a wreck!!! ...I drove by the wreck scene to get my replacement pizza...it was ugly..bits and pieces of a Pontiac Sunbird or such all over the intersection...no sign of my pizza...

No moral to the story..shit happens. I still eat pizza but pick it up myself so that the guilt of killing a pizza delivery kid I will feel no more...
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Good article on how sketchy the CGT is:

Porsche That Killed Paul Walker 'Dangerous,' 'Needs Respect'

I'm still dubious on the mechanical failure scenario, sounds like the car can catch out even the most experienced drivers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#42]
So...now I'm looking more closely at the fuel cells for my fun car.

Actually, it's hard to believe that a car of that caliber doesn't have a bladder/cell tank design.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:12:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Wasn't there mention in one story (from the Telegraph or some other brit source) saying a possible power steering failure?

I would think a loss of power steering would fall in the "potential possibilities" file for causing a driver to lose control.
View Quote

Not in a car like that moving at any real speed. I could drive my daily without it at anything over 10 mph and that car weighs over 4000 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way there was that much damage from a 45 mph crash. The car was completely smashed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go back to bed grandpa!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Perhaps the increased speed came as a result of overcorrection of a low-speed mistake, but there is absolutely no way a 45mph impact from any direction caused such tramatic disintegration of that chassis.

Again, for the slow ones (heh pun), perhaps the corner entry speed WAS 45mph, but the terminal speed upon impact was much higher, very possibly due to overzealous overcorrection.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm still dubious on the mechanical failure scenario, sounds like the car can catch out even the most experienced drivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, great article.

Quote from Graham Rahal ( Former IndyCar racer):

It's a race car for the street. Simple as that. It asks for and needs respect at all time. It's not a car for people who don't have experience driving high end vehicles or race cars really for that matter. However I believe Roger was an experienced road racer. To me the CGT is in the top 3 vehicles ever made, possibly the greatest road car ever made.

ETA:

From the manage of Porsche NA:

If you're ever offered a ride, definitely think twice about it... and if you ever get the chance to drive, for God's sake be careful!

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:32:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I've only seen F&F when it came out and, I think, the movie he was in with Jessica Alba. I'm far from idolizing him or thinking he was Gods gift to the earth.

That said, I don't see how some people think it's weird to be saddened by his death. One moment he was enjoying a fun afternoon riding around in a badass car and the next he's trapped in a vehicle possibly dying a gruesome, painful, horrible death. To not have any compassion for him and the driver seems nearly inhuman. By most accounts, he was a good, generous down to earth guy with a passion for cars, which I can relate to. I'd love to get my hands on a CGT.  

It seems some people are so conditioned to hate anything Hollywood that they don't realize these people are human beings, not just pixels on a screen. I'd bet if Chris Kyle handed his murderer the keys to a CGT and they spun out and died in a fiery crash, a lot of attitudes here would be different.

And before the reading comprehension deprived folks, no, I'm not comparing Walker to Kyle in any way other than two good guys who trusted other people with potentially dangerous objects and died as a result of it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That said, I don't see how some people think it's weird to be saddened by his death. One moment he was enjoying a fun afternoon riding around in a badass car and the next he's trapped in a vehicle possibly dying a gruesome, painful, horrible death. To not have any compassion for him and the driver seems nearly inhuman.
View Quote

1)  I am assuming that the impact killed them.  There is no reason to assume a more gruesome scenario.

2)  Some on here are looking at the events of the accident in an objective, non-emotional manner.  It is no different than the armchair analysis of the recent 737 crash in Russia.  Unfortunately, several people take that as attacking the two killed.  

As an example of the objective analysis, is it a fact that the car struck the tree on the passenger side...close to the middle of the vehicle?  Was the car "wrapped" around the tree?

Finally, if you look at one of the pictures from the front left. the front left wheel appears to have impact damage.  Was that caused during the collision and if so, how does that play into the events?
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top