User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[b]EricTheHun[/b], if you still want the boot disk file...
[b][size=4][blue]empty your mailbox!![/blue][size=4][/b]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

Why would he need a boot disk file? If he has Windows 98, it will generate one for him, and even make a system recovery disk!

Also, if he has Windows 98 or 98SE, teh CD-ROMs are usually bootable, and may require changing a setting in the BIOS to allow it to boot, if not set already.

PS: ETH said he doesn't have a floppy drive, so the bootable CD may be the best choice, or boot to the hard disk and install from there...

I will let yoiu know when I reinstall the system for him Saturday after the gun show...
View Quote

My reply was in response to his request for the boot disk file then finding his hotmail inbox was full. That's all. Have fun at the fun show!!! Good luck with the laptop.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyway, PII means it's at least a 233 Mhz CPU, or up to 450 Mhz, that ain't too shabby, max memory should be at least 256 MB.
View Quote

Ummm nope: I owned a Pentium II MMX, and I am on my brother's Pentium II right now. Both 200 MHz.

View Quote

The original Pentium II was code-named "Klamath". It ran at a paltry 66 MHz bus speed and ranged from 233MHz to 300MHz. In 1998, Intel did some slight re-working of the processor and released "Deschutes". They used a 0.25 micron design technology for this one, and allowed a 100MHz system bus. The L2 cache was still separate from the actual processor core and still ran at only half speed. They would not rectify this issue until the release of the Celeron A and Pentium III. Deschutes ran from 333MHz to up to 450 MHz.

Guess what you had was a plain old Pentium MMX/
View Quote

You are probably right anyway. Many people probably called the Pentium 200 a Pentium II because it started with a "2"... and that's how it was sold to me anyway. I was just messing with ya.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top