Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2002 4:39:50 PM EDT
I am making my "Spaghetti a la Carbonara" Wife LOVES it even though it is a heart attack in a bowl. I open up one of the boxes and there are probably about 50 or so black bugs (NOT roaches or ants) in the pasta!!!

What the hell were they?? anyone else have that happen to them?

Sick.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
its people! its made out of people!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Were they small?  We used to have a problem with little bugs in our pasta and oatmeal off and on when I was growing up. Don't know why but,we just boiled the pasta and scooped the bugs off of the top. That was 17 years ago and I'm still alive[;)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They looked like they had "snouts" on them.

It was naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Bugs have to eat too!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
its people! its made out of people!!!
View Quote

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They looked like they had "snouts" on them.

It was naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty!
View Quote

Sounds like you need to toughen up! Boiling the pasta kills the bugs.

What a wimp[:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you buy the [b]High Protein[/b] pasta by mistake?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
What brand of pasta?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I've gotten a bad bag of flour once, and a box of pancake mix once, with tiny worm like critters in it.  Didn't notice either till I poured water into the bowl and they rose up.

In any big food manufacturing plant, bugs are going to get in once in a while, or possibly at the grocery store.

Have a friend in Las Vegas who said he has to be extra careful as there's a really aggressive flour eating bug out there, so everything is kept in tupperware.

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I concur, standard weavils. In damp areas they tend to get into pasta, flour, bread, etc. Growing up I'd find them in cornbread my grandmother made. It got to the point where we'd never pay them any attention. They dont have any taste or real texture and are just added nutrition.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
They are Al-Quida agents with a cold.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
"Hey Ma, these little almonds got legs!"

"Now hush child and eat your Grandma's dressing."
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#14]
They're probably not weevils - they're probably merchant beetles. They're the most common "pantry pest."

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Take pics.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#16]
You have heard of macaronie&cheese,well welcome to pasta&meat!   You just add the sauce!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Got pics??? LOL I'd like to see this..

-T.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Weevils.  Common issue.  Do a net search.

-Troy
View Quote

That's It!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks... those were the bugs!!!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#19]
One statistic I read in college was that EVERY grain product has bugs in it.  That it is virtually impossible to not eat food these days that have bug parts in it.  I don't doubt this, but its not too appetizing to think about it, especially when you have to ask the bugs, "are you done with that yet?"
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
In grain storage facilities rather than resorting to chemicals, the use of insects that are predatory to the weevil and beetle population is common. So you are going to get bugs no matter what.

The route most experienced TEOTWAWKI prepared people go is to add a small amount of diatomaceous earth to grain products. Insects cannot survive in that substance, but it is non-harmful to human consumption.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 11:34:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One statistic I read in college was that EVERY grain product has bugs in it.  That it is virtually impossible to not eat food these days that have bug parts in it.  I don't doubt this, but its not too appetizing to think about it, especially when you have to ask the bugs, "are you done with that yet?"
View Quote

An ex girlfriend was allergic to chocolate all through her childhood. The doctors that conducted the allergy tests on her were baffeled because none of the sepearate ingredience in coco bars set her off. Whats even stranger is that European chocolate products for the most part were just fine for her. In the end it turns out that the coco that goes the US markets is actually the lower-end stuff produced by many tropical makers, and has an exceedingly high concentration of....ground roaches in it.

You guessed it, she was allergic to the insect parts, not the food.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In grain storage facilities rather than resorting to chemicals, the use of insects that are predatory to the weevil and beetle population is common. So you are going to get bugs no matter what.

The route most experienced TEOTWAWKI prepared people go is to add a small amount of diatomaceous earth to grain products. Insects cannot survive in that substance, but it is non-harmful to human consumption.
View Quote

There are usually insect eggs in the rice that I buy. If you eat the rice within a few months of buying it, the eggs won't have hatch(this is true for foriegn rice from Viet Nam, Thailand), and lesser for Texas Long Grain.
You can buy the food grade diatomaceous earth from Major Surplus & Survival, Gardena Calif.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Irradiation of products and there would be no lil bugs in the box as long as it stayed sealed up. Why is everyone afraid of radiation.[rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top