Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2002 5:45:01 PM EDT
Hey guys, well I'm looking into getting one of the '99 and newer Ford Super Duty crew cabs with a short bed 4x4 and diesel. I can't figure out if I want the 6 speed or the Auto. Any suggestions, info on that is appreciated. Also how are the Super Duty's in terms of quality and reliability??

I've got a few friends with them and both have said that the drivetrains/running gears are stout, but that everything else wrapped around the drivetain is crap. They say they have little stuff go wrong almost regularly.

I'd appreciate any comments/info and suggestions you guys might have!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Quik,

I have a 99 superduty powerstroke and the only problems I have had with it are the cab lights stayed on all the time, It was a simple squirt of WD40 into the door switched and nothing has returned. The Hyd Clutch master cylinder failed. Ford had a service bulletin on it and when I put the new one in (30 minutes or so) it has not given me a problem since.

As far as little thing falling apart I think your friends need to go and drive some other vehicles. My old Doge was crap. My truck has been the best thing I have ever owned. It has 84,000 miles on it and get between 17-19 mpg, it is a 4X4 long wheel base supercab. I pull a bass boat and this thing will pull it 90 miles an hour if I want to go that fast. It truly pulls without any hesitation.
Since moving to The DFW metroplex I have found it is not the best for commuting and stop and go traffic. I may sell it but it will be harder than selling a good gun. I just cant bring myself to part with it. Although a decent car would be much better fot my drive in this concrete jungle.

Fell free to email me if you would like to ask anything about these trucks.

I should point out that it is a 6 speed and it has been trouble free.

Stacey
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm Un-Bias I swear when it comes to cars, so please don't think I'ma ford hater, I've owned 2.

IMHO you should just spend alittle extra dough and buy a chevy or gmc truck.

The fords are a good truck but chevy makes a better newer truck, straight up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
all of your questions can be answered here:

[url]http://www.thedieselstop.com/?[/url]

some of the common problems with the 99's are undersized brake rotors, tubo bolts falling out, weak clutch fork on manual transmisions, and torque converter problems on the automatic transmisions.

I've got a 99 F250 SD and like it.  It's a good truck and it will pull anything.  Like wannabullet, I had problems with my interior lights staying on.  Also, my clutch fork broke at about 40k miles (non-waranty) and I had to replace the brake rotors (waranty).  I also have a vacuum leak somewhere because the auto locking hubs don't stay locked when I'm in 4 wheel drive.  Other than that, no problems.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a Ford guy at all,they are a bit weak for me but the super dutys are decent trucks and a hell of alot better that the Jap. crap that will no doubt be brought up soon.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Japanese trucks rule. Yankee trucks suck.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, the Dieselstop is the place to go.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

ABSOLUTELY.

I love my Powerstroke diesel...best vehicle I have ever owned.  I have a 2000 Excursion.

The Powerstroke is just about the best all-around diesel engine out there.  However, if you are going to be doing a lot of hard/heavy towing you may want to consider a Dodge with the Cummins diesel.  Not that the Powerstroke can't handle it, but if the truck will be towing for most of it's mileage...Cummins is a better bet.

www.thedieselstop.com has more information than you'll ever need on PSDs.  Bunch of good folks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:06:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I am not a Ford fan, but I have to admit the PSD is a runner.  I had an E350 van with a PSD, and it passed anything and everything I wanted to pass, including the fuel stops (18 mpg with a full load of parts and ladders on the roof.)  Having said that, the truck itself was unimpressive.  Little stupid stuff went wrong on a very regular basis, and Ford must have issued a dozen service bulletins on it.  I have heard the same comment about the Dodge, great engine in a mediocre truck.  The chevy 6.5s were just the opposite, great truck with a mediocre engine.  Buyer beware.  Ops
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies guys, I really do appreciate it. I took a look over on the TDS.com site and you guys were right that place is like this site only all about Ford Diesels!

Anyways I'd love to here more reports on stuff that has gone wrong with your PSD's. Also i'm still not really sure what to get, the 6 speed or the auto? I'm leaning towards a 6 speed with a manual transfer case shifter (I HATE THE DIAL!)  

Thanks again guys! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I tell you what...you will have a hard time not "chipping" out your PSD.  It's amazing how much untapped power the Powerstrokes have in them.

Most people get the auto transmission.  I have the 3.73 limited slip differential.  I have also put a Hypertech PPIII programmer that added 50hp, 100 ft./lbs. of torque, and stiffened up the tranny shifts.  Also have a K&N air filter, High Oil-Pressure Crossover hose, and straight-through muffler.

Soon I will get guages, and eventually I will open up the exhaust to 4" from the downpipe all the way back.

Lots of fun.  Once you start modifying...you just keep going!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's my 2000 - You can't go wrong.  Tranny should be determined on use and personal preference.

If you're gonna stroke it..... Powerstroke it.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/1GUNRUNNER%2FFORDPU%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/1GUNRUNNER%2FFORDPU2%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
If you decide on a Ford,I can get x-plan for you and save you considerable bucks!
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
OK ill throw in my .02 because im pritty farmiliar with all of the big three diesles.

My dad has an 01' Powerstoke 4x4 extra cab auto
Its a good rig and so far with 20k hasnt givin any problems. It pulls good its been over cabbage hill on I-84 it can do 75 up hill loaded. its an ok all around rig. The main advantage with fords is you can really talk price with these people. Avoid the early redesigned powerstoke fords they had problems with the Dana 50 Front axel i beleve.

My uncle has a 01' Duramax 4x4 extra cab Allison auto. Its a good rig also. The interior is nicer than the powerstoke its alot quieter. I think its better built. The duramax allison combo has way more power than ether of the other diesle/auto combo P/U It hasnt givin him any problems as of yet. I would say if you want an automatic get the duramax it has more power and a rock solid tranny thats 5 speed. With a well built truck around it. It does have IFS while the Ford is solid front end.
The downside is your going to have to pay alot these people probably wont talk price much.
But with 0% financing for 5 years now is the time to buy you cant go wrong with the duramax i dont think.

I know a couple people with The Cummins.
One has an auto short box 4x4 extra cab the other has a 2x4 dualie extra cab set up for pulling stock trailer with the manual. Both are OK rigs. I have spent alot of time in the Cummins with the manual tranny. Its got ok power and a good transmission hasnt had any problems a good truck tho I think the engine will way outlast the truck. The truck has 180k on it. the auto cummins are also ok but they are turned down because the tranny cant handle the power as well as a manual I would not get a dodge auto I dont think the tranny is up to it.

JUST BUY A DURAMAX

that said I love jap rigs And Now nissan will have a fullsize truck
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I HATE FORDS!!!

With that said, I bought a 2000 F250 Superduty brand new.  It's got the Powerstroke, 6speed and I love it.  I've put 40,000 miles on it without a problem.  It will pull a house and not even realize it's there.  I've got a 30ft travel trailer and I can run at 75mph all day long, no problem.  I traded in a 3/4 ton chevy with a 350 auto and have never regretted it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice truck 1Gunrunner.  Any mods done to it besides the lift and tires?
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#17]
automatic transmisions are problems. I have been told by a guy who work at the ford plant in Norfolk that the auto trans are a sour spot.
heat build up was his guess. He just bought a 250 4x4 and another just got a 350 4x4
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.thedieselstop.com/

All kinds of excellent info for Ford Power Stroke owners.

I've got a 97 F250 4x4 PSD and it's ROCKS!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My uncle has a 01' Duramax...I think its better built. The duramax allison combo has way more power than ether of the other diesle/auto combo P/U It hasnt givin him any problems as of yet. I would say if you want an automatic get the duramax it has more power and a rock solid tranny thats 5 speed. JUST BUY A DURAMAX
View Quote

Well, if you think building a diesel engine with an aluminum engine is better built, then buy the Duramax.  Race a '03 PSD vs. a Duramax and I think everyone will say that the PSD has more power.

In fact, I think it is pretty telling that (at least in Texas) you will see Ford and Dodge diesels 5 to 1 EACH versus Chevy.  I hardly ever see Chevy diesels in the Houston area...but the Powerstrokes and Cummins are plentiful.

But I am not an expert on diesel...and am admittedly quite biased toward my PSD.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My uncle has a 01' Duramax...I think its better built. The duramax allison combo has way more power than ether of the other diesle/auto combo P/U It hasnt givin him any problems as of yet. I would say if you want an automatic get the duramax it has more power and a rock solid tranny thats 5 speed. JUST BUY A DURAMAX
View Quote

Well, if you think building a diesel engine with an aluminum engine is better built, then buy the Duramax.  Race a '03 PSD vs. a Duramax and I think everyone will say that the PSD has more power.

In fact, I think it is pretty telling that (at least in Texas) you will see Ford and Dodge diesels 5 to 1 EACH versus Chevy.  I hardly ever see Chevy diesels in the Houston area...but the Powerstrokes and Cummins are plentiful.

But I am not an expert on diesel...and am admittedly quite biased toward my PSD.
View Quote

I see the same up here in oregon.

If your goiing to standard V8, Chevy is the way to go though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice truck 1Gunrunner.  Any mods done to it besides the lift and tires?
View Quote

74 HP chip, redesigned airbox, dual exhaust, 3.5" downpipe, and stereo upgrades.  It has plenty of power to spare.

I have gone through a tranny but, it was my fault.  2 quads and a 23' Prowler Trailer across the sand dunes without lowering the air pressure in the tires (in high range).  I had to get out of it when a quad cut me off.  Ford put a [i]new[/i] tranny and cooler in and flushed the lines in 36 hrs. on their dollar $4300.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:53:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is a great site for information of all pick ups.  Currently doing a towing comparison between Chevy/Ford/Dodge diesels.

[url=www.pickuptruck.com]Pick Up Trucks[/url]

-Confusion
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
The reason you dont see more Duramax chevys on the road is because they have only been out for a year or two. Ford and Dodge have had there current diesle lne up out sence the early 90's. Im no fan of GMs old diesle engine the 6.5L or the 6.5Turbo.
Im not knocking fords or dodges I know plenty of people who like them. I just think the Duramax allison Combo is a better truck.
Tho I think dodges auto tranny sucks.
We will wait till 04' I think untill ford does a compleat redesign and comes out with thier new 6.0L diesle and 5spd tranny which will no doubt have more power.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#24]
My family/ our company owns 5 SD's.  2 are F-250 V-8's, 1 is an F-250 V-8 Crew Cab, 1 is a 350 longbed, crew cab V-10 and the last is a crew cab flatbed.  My dad bought a crew cab XLT chassis with the 7.3L, then had the frame stretched for a 12' bed.  It has 60,000 miles on it and the only trouble its given is with the cab lights.  None of the other trucks have shown any problems, although 2 are new.

The new 6.0L has something like 350 horse/ 600 ft/lbs of torque.  It's available in automatic only.

My dad used to be a Chevy man, but decided that they couldn't make a diesel.  He owns another 10 or so diesel ford fleet trucks (450 and 550).  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice ace tuck GUNRUNNER.

My dad has a '98 Lariat powerstroke and a '03 Chevy LT Duramax.
Ford has had new transmission,
Little stuf
-light fell out of Air-bag indicater
-Driver seat only goes up and down after button fell off.
-Driver side seat ripped at a seam.
-14MPG
-loose front shock
-door fell out of cassete deck

The truck has tons of power and torque though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top