Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/23/2002 3:23:45 PM EDT
How far away can you still see the shuttle on a night launch? It's set to go in just a few minutes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 3:33:33 PM EDT
You can see it from a VERY, VERY, VERY long distance away.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 3:46:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 3:47:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 3:58:58 PM EDT
I grew up in Tampa - you can easily see the fire from the engines during night launches and the smoke trail from day launches. I remember the day the Challenger blew up...I was a Soph. in highschool....we went to a Subway for lunch, and all the workers in the store were watching a TV behind the counter....they told us the SS blew up, and we were like "yeah whatever." They told us to look outside - you could see the trail w/ the cloud at the end from the explosion
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:07:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:34:40 PM EDT
Just watched it go up from the driveway. I have a Cape Canaveral Air Force Station badge for work and drove out to approx. 3 miles from the pad last night but last night's mission was scrubbed. I should have drove out again tonight but was lazy. Awsome sight, even from 20+ miles! [b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/23/2002 4:41:32 PM EDT by Kevin]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:39:04 PM EDT
I was standing outside watching when the Challenger exploded.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:42:03 PM EDT
My wife and I went to the lake in front of our house and watched it. It's like a hundred miles away but it was clear as a bell...incredible to watch. There were dozens of people parked there watching it too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:45:02 PM EDT
You guys are so lucky. Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:46:12 PM EDT
The next EELV launch is 12/4/02. I'll try to make it out to the Cape and take some pics. If I do I'll post them here so everyone can see them. [b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:48:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:49:03 PM EDT
You can see it from St. Simons Island, GA.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:51:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:55:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:59:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kevin: Those guys are very brave to strap themselves to that much fuel!!
View Quote
Don't forget the destruct mechanism if it needs to be blown up. I worked on a command/destruct project awhile back and learned that they have the capability of blowing up rockets & shuttles. I never actually thought about that before. They have more options with the shuttle due to the fact that humans can fly it if need be to the emergency landing sites across the big pond but there is always the possibility of them having to blow up the shuttle if need be! [:O] [b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:18:21 PM EDT
Being born and raised in Orlando I saw 'em all.From Mercury to Apollo to the Space Shuttle.I was watching Challenger in Coccoa Beach--only about 20 miles away.You knew instantly those poor dudes didn't have a chance.Living on the east side of Orlando you could Feel and Hear when those big Titan rockets fired off for the Apollo missions.As the crow flies it was probably 30 miles or so.I moved to Fernandina a couple of years ago and you can see night launches from here.This is north of Jacksonville and 160 miles + or - from the Cape.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:45:34 PM EDT
I'm too far north and west from the launch site to see a thing :( Maybe one day I'll make my way to the Space Center for a launch.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:11:30 PM EDT
The first launch I ever saw live was from the back porch of my folks place in Sarasota. Now that a bit south and completely on the other (west) coast of Fl from the Cape. All you really saw was a solid pillar of flame erupt from the horizon. Even if the news had not told us of the launch before hand, it was unmistakable as to what it could have been. Now that I live in Orlando the glare from the solid boosters almost turn night into day. It's pretty damn spectacular.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:16:15 PM EDT
Saw it tonight from South Fl. area (couple hundred miles at least). On a clear night you can see it throughout the whole state just about.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/23/2002 8:23:21 PM EDT by KBaker]
I grew up in Titusville, just across the Indian River from Pad 39A. I got to see all the Saturn V launches from the bank of the river (about 4 miles from the pad.) (Edited to add:) When Apollo 17 (IIRC) launched at night it could be seen as far north as Virginia. But I've never seen a shuttle launch. I was back in Titusville in '95 on my honeymoon, and there was one sitting on the pad. You could see it from about 1.5 miles away at Playa Linda beach - pretty cool! I've got to get down there to see one go. I was in bed (in AZ) listening to the radio when the Challenger went up. They covered the launch until it cleared the tower, and then broke for commercials. My exact thought at that time was "well, thankfully this one didn't blow up on the pad." (I'd been expecting a catastrophic failure for some time, given NASA's track record.) Still, I was shocked when they returned from commercial with the news that it had blown up in flight.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:25:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/23/2002 8:35:41 PM EDT by Treelo]
My Father works at the Cape. I saw the first couple dozen launches via his car pass access (3 miles away from launch pad). Believe it or not, at night you can see the glow from the shuttle's 3 main engines from as far away as Fayetteville, NC. We were visiting some relatives just outside of Fort Bragg. We knew it was going up and wanted to see if it could be seen. Most people up that way at the time didn't know anything about the shuttle going up or even where to look, but we saw it. It took a while after launch before it could be seen, but you could see the shuttle's main rockets burning as it flew east. It had long since jettisoned it's Solid Rocket Boosters by the time we saw it, but the 3 main engines were still visible. Granted, you don't see the bright flames or trail, but only the glow of the engines.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:52:32 PM EDT
I AM ABOUT 20 MILES AWAY AND WHEN IT GOES OFF MY WINDOWS RATTLE AND I CAN SEE IT ALL THE WAY UNTIL IT RELEASES THE FUEL CELLS AND GOES INTO ORBIT....IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT GO YOU ARE MISING AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:55:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/24/2002 12:58:23 AM EDT by Kihn]
Originally posted by KBaker: I was back in Titusville in '95 on my honeymoon, and there was one sitting on the pad. You could see it from about 1.5 miles away at Playa Linda beach - pretty cool!
View Quote
Playa Linda- nature lover? Thought they always shut down the beach a month or so before a launch. It is unreal to see how large the flame plume is even from 50 miles away.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:24:27 AM EDT
I'm on the west coast and have NO problem seeing it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:14:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kihn:
Originally posted by KBaker: I was back in Titusville in '95 on my honeymoon, and there was one sitting on the pad. You could see it from about 1.5 miles away at Playa Linda beach - pretty cool!
View Quote
Playa Linda- nature lover? Thought they always shut down the beach a month or so before a launch.
View Quote
That was my first thhought! I've only been there once, for work (there is an optical site there). There were some hotties but the only people that came out into view were the old fat men that were surf fishing! [puke] Worse than the locker room! IIRC they keep Playlinda open until just prior to a launch. [b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:43:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 2:33:29 PM EDT
great pics, thanks for posting. TXLEWIS
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:44:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kihn: Playa Linda- nature lover? Thought they always shut down the beach a month or so before a launch.
View Quote
No, not me. From what I understand, the south end of the beach (closest to 39A) isn't clothing-optional (in fact, the whole beach isn't "clothing-optional," but that rule isn't enforced much.) When I was growing up in Titusville (1966-74), Playa Linda (which everybody called "playlinda") was a family beach. My wife and I were there right at the end of July '95 just before Hurricane Erin came ashore. Endeavor was on the pad. The water was rough with a lot of riptide. We had the beach to ourselves. Well, us and the observation tower. They rolled Endeavor off the pad on August 1 in preparation for the hurricane, which came ashore between Titusville and Vero Beach. (Can I show a woman a good time or what?) We were in Disneyworld the morning after Erin made landfall.
Top Top