BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it is Vancouver, any homeowner that wants a door knob will probably just put one on, can't dictate what an owner does, just what the builder does
View Quote

Doesn't it make more sense to allow the builder and homeowner to agree on what should be installed rather than inviting the government to demand one thing over another in the interest of making life easier for an occupant who may never purchase or even enter the dwelling?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Have these people never seen Jurassic Park?

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have these people never seen Jurassic Park?

http://lolsnaps.com/upload_pic/DamnItPhilYouHadOneJob-71988.jpg
View Quote

This.

I've also heard zombies have trouble with doorknobs.

Installing levers is putting your lives, and the lives of your loved ones, at risk.

Won't somebody think of the children!
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In the short story With Folded Hands, the robots that "protect" humans remove all doorknobs from doors, installing sliding doors with relays that only the robots can open and close...to make sure the humans are safe. They also remove all sharp objects and hard corners.

It's still one of the most terrifyingly prescient books I know of.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Read the article and don't be a schmoe.  It's all about the city of Vancouver and not the whole of Canada.  I have door knobs in my house and I will not abide by anything else. I do not want anything that contains levers or metal injected molded parts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Door hardware can be big business depending on where you live.

When I was in the custom home business we did plenty of projects where the door hardware budget was $50K +.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
lol WTF?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

.  Allen Joslyn, president of the Antique Door Knob Collectors of America, a nonprofit devoted to studying and preserving ornamental doorknobs, wonders if Vancouver went too far in implementing its newfound ban.

lol WTF?

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Now we will have Canadian Knob Runners.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Intercepted by government knob smashers?

Ouch.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Levers are easier for old folks and arthritics to manipulate.  Dogs, too, and at one time our tom cat would have pulled the lever on our back door if he could reach it.

Anyway, Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming and I'm surprised it didn't hit the books sooner.  Maybe the door knob industry has taken note of the electrical industry's constant churning of the electrical code as a means to incorporate more and more marginal "improvements" in the name of safety.

In the mean time, historical districts all over the US will require round door knobs on the outside of exterior doors in all cases, and in all doors in the structure in some cases.  

There's a market opportunity here for a hybrid door knob with a round knob on the outside, a lever on the inside, and a clever mechanism to bypass the round door knob to maintain ADA compliance.  But the real money will be in getting the requirement for this knob into the building code.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its for handicap access.

A person without a hand cannot turn a knob.

Levers are easier for old folks and arthritics to manipulate.  Dogs, too, and at one time our tom cat would have pulled the lever on our back door if he could reach it.

Anyway, Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming and I'm surprised it didn't hit the books sooner.  Maybe the door knob industry has taken note of the electrical industry's constant churning of the electrical code as a means to incorporate more and more marginal "improvements" in the name of safety.

In the mean time, historical districts all over the US will require round door knobs on the outside of exterior doors in all cases, and in all doors in the structure in some cases.  

There's a market opportunity here for a hybrid door knob with a round knob on the outside, a lever on the inside, and a clever mechanism to bypass the round door knob to maintain ADA compliance.  But the real money will be in getting the requirement for this knob into the building code.

Brilliant idea!!!11! Alas, too late - http://www.brinksppr.com/

But still: FBHO and FTMBDKN (fuck those milk-bagging door knob nazis)

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Just wait until you're required to have doors that are easy to kick in, versus those that are secure.  You know, for fire codes.  Oh wait, we already have those.  They now have to open in rather than out.  

Just wait until you are required to give master keys to government entities - you know, for your own safety.  Oh, never mind, we already have those for commercial buildings, and the gov't is actively lobbying to get that extended to residential buildings.  In fact, under the guise of the drug war, they're looking to ban 'hardened entry doors', which may prevent agents from entering your home in an expedient fashion.  

So out of everything to complain about - handle levers versus round knobs?  Whatever.  I think we're missing the bigger picture.  

By the way, I might have critiqued the above as paranoid 'tin foil' nonsense about 5 years ago.  Not so much any more.   Here's my question of the day - if the government passed a regulation requiring you to give them a master key to your home, what would you do?
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 4:01:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In the short story With Folded Hands, the robots that "protect" humans remove all doorknobs from doors, installing sliding doors with relays that only the robots can open and close...to make sure the humans are safe. They also remove all sharp objects and hard corners.

It's still one of the most terrifyingly prescient books I know of.
View Quote

So robots are liberals?
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 4:09:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh it's Canada Vancouver, nobody cares.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the lever type handles, when we built 8 years ago we put them in our home.

BUT WHY IN THE FUCK IS THIS BEING MANDATED BY THE GOVERNMENT?

If the home buyer wants them, tell the builder and have them put in.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll just leave this here.....

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#17]
If that dept of goverent has enough time to think up some dumb ass code like this they need to be refunded because they don't have enough real work to do.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Have they been banned in Kali yet?????
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top