Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2002 1:16:32 PM EDT
I've never been to a gunshow, so I don't know much about them. What are all these loopholes the media talks about?

I'd really like to get me a 20mm rifle and get my parents matching His&Hers MG34 and 42 for Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Now that [b]would[/b] be a loophole![50]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Loopholes are called loopholes when a democrat thinks that there is something wrong with the current laws, so they call it a loophole.

Example: private party sales are legal. But at Gun shows, the democrats think that private party sales are illegal at these places, so they call it a loophole. Basically-- a loophole is something they couldn't pass as a law, so they claim "loophole" to get the anti gunners all wound up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I enjoy exploiting the gunshow loophole several times each year.  They are a lot of fun if you don't go expecting to see screaming deals on firearms.  You can often find decent prices on accessories, mags, and ammo though.

The 20mm and MG42 might be tough to find.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.flashbunny.org/content/loophole.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are the fun show loopholes:

1) Beanie Baby loophole: Although not considered to be firearms by the BATF, these items are being sold by unregulated dealers and to people over the age of 10.

2) Beef Jerky loophole: Also escaping federal regulations, beef, buffalo, elk, etc. jerky is freely being distributed by way of "free samples", much like crack dealers do when they want to hook in new customers.

3) Personal Hygiene loopohole: This is the most insidious of all fun show loopholes. Many of the attendees are following the medieval tradition of only taking 3 baths during their lifetimes: once when born, once when married, and once before being buried. Needless to say the stench eminating from such individuals is overpowering to the point of nausea. This loophole requires serious attention and should either fall under the jurisdiction of the local HAZMAT or the CDC.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Basically the loophole refers to NON DEALERS selling to NON DEALERS at a gun show.In other words it refers to YOU.

Right now YOU can sell a gun at a garage sale OR walk in to a gun show and sell YOUR property without doing a background check. A dealer (FFL) cannot. No matter where a dealer (FFL) sells a gun he is required to do a 4473 and call it in for a background check.

If you closed the "loophole" like they want to do, it wouldn't change anything for dealers.

BUT it would change things for YOU. From that point on anytime ANYONE sold a gun to ANYONE they would have to do a background check (and pay for it) on the prospective buyer. This would apply to:

YOU selling YOUR gun at a gunshow.
YOU selling YOUR gun at a garage sale.
YOU selling YOUR gun to a neighbor/buddy/relative.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#7]
So someone who would otherwise fail a background check could obtain a firearm through a private party sale?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
"Gunshow loopholes"

Been to too many gunshows, never seen a Gunshow loophole for sale. Have no Idea what it would cost or what it might be worth.

I do know this, there are more Winchester auto pistols out there than there are gunshow loopholes.

edit: [/smartass]
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So someone who would otherwise fail a background check could obtain a firearm through a private party sale?
View Quote

That would be illegal as hell, and everbody involved would go to jail.

I don't know about other states, but in PA to do a private handgun transfer you and the seller have to go to a FFL and do a background check and fill out the yellow form.

Rifles and shotguns no, but God help you if you transfer a firearm to somebody who shouldn't have one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Colorado voted to close the gunshow loophole, starting this past June 1, last Nov.

Now we don't have terrorist attacks or any other kind of crime. I feel so safe now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes. kind of like when one crack dealer sells a gun to another crack dealer.  Stopping the gun show loop hole would make this illegal.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

yes. kind of like when one crack dealer sells a gun to another crack dealer.  Stopping the gun show loop hole would make this illegal.
View Quote

Ehrm, this is already illegal. Illegal for crack dealer #1 to have one in the first place, same for crack dealer #2, and illegal for crack dealer #1 to transfer to crack dealer #2 knowing full well that he's a felon.

I trust that you understand that they'll do this anyway, even if the government requires them to fill out paperwork for this kind of transaction.

You were being sarcastic....weren't you?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#13]
And CrackDealers are such fine upstanding citizens, that when this law is passed they will start going thru a FFL when selling guns to other crackdealers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Now if the Government passed a law to make it illegal to sell crack or for a felon to own a gun or for a felon to sell another felon a gun...Then you and I know that they would STOP doing it![rolleyes]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
There are no loopholes!   Again I say there are no loop-holes!   There are just legal and Illegal sales!

If your state doesn't want private sales then it should vote so,any gun put in the book by a licenced dealer is in that book and will and must be procesed such!

FFL and dealers are your only hope of being able to purchase guns !   When you bitch about being on the record(on paper) with your gun ,its your civic duty to comply with the laws of this nation!

Whats the beef? If they come from siezed forms for all the registerd guns,you can bet they will pass a law saying that all unregisterd guns will be a real no no to have!

Be active in your voteing and make sure the right guys get in to protect your rights!

Its not perfect but then again nothing is,be legal be right!

There are no loop-holes,only ass holes who try to slip around the gun laws!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#16]
The only loopholes I have seen at a gun show in NYS, are the ones they make you jump through to make a private sale.  Cartwheels and handstands are a help too.  Best done with trick ponies, and circus dogs.

Bilster
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The only loopholes I have seen at a gun show in NYS, are the ones they make you jump through to make a private sale.  Cartwheels and handstands are a help too.  Best done with trick ponies, and circus dogs.

Bilster
View Quote

LOL. [:D]

Long gun transfers in NYS at gun shows by exhibitors require transfer by an ffl. Private party transfers of long guns outside of gun shows do not.  Handguns can be privately transferred between pistol permit holders with a purchase order from the buyer.  Of course none of this applies if restricted by local law.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]

You were being sarcastic....weren't you?
View Quote

yes, i was.

i was just trying to imply that the ones who cause the crime don't obey the laws.  We need criminal control, not gun control.
BTW guns are a very good way to control the criminals.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I would like to see the government do something about at least one gunshow loophole,the one that allows Beanie Baby dealers in!
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why don't you take your little fishing net and move to other bigger and better piers to fill your bucket.....[puke] Troll
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top