Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 26
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh.  Don't really care.  Even NA doesn't really prove it.  They just expose a never ending series of curiously timed events.  And government abuse of power.  And media complicity.   And enourmous amounts of money with suspicious origins and uses.  If nothing else it is certainly entertaining.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are a fucking liar.

Prove me wrong. If they're so easy to counterfeit, send me 10 fake BTC - here's the address: 13mj3WicBJTX1195wzFERW5v2yDQeQW2kh. Do it, and I'll apologize and leave Arfcom in disgrace.

For those of you in the peanut gallery, the address is linked to Blockchain.info's representation of the public ledger. If money gets sent there, it'll show up immediately. It won't though because wikileaks is a fucking liar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
im trying to understand  something about this, how is a bitcoin created and who creates it? with all the talk about fiat currencies, isnt this a nother currency backed up by nothing but full faith and credit of other currencies being used to pay for it? and should there be a internet crash of some sort emp and all that other stuff wouldnt this be worthless without a internet protocol? if a state is trying to get sales tax to be collected on internet sales why would it allow this to spread unless they can get their hands on some of it as well?

ive seen it going up but i dont understand it and dont trust it because i dont understand it. it seems like another version of the real estate market where everyone said it was always going up because there was a limited quantity so it had to increase in value but that only worked so long as there were buyers that were capable of paying. the govt shored up a fantasy real estate market for a while by allowing even those with no ability to pay to enter the market, that failed eventually because it was not possible for the loans to be paid. so why is there a inherent value to a bitcoin other than speculative value and who gains from the speculation? would the us govt or any govt for that matter sell a bond denominated in bitcoin? can i by a gun at a store counter using bitcoin? can i pay for a airline ticket using this currency and would it be at the prevailing value or at some discount for the merchant to redeem it? these are serious questions and from whatever reading i have done i cannot find a answe rto these questions

A bitcoin is basically something you get after your computer does a certain amount of work. This isn't just another currency backed by nothing, its a currency backed by nothing with dozens of FED reserves able to print off as many coins as they wish. Its like giving 10 people the power to print all the 100 dollar bills they want. With the internet bitcoins would be 100% useless. With the internet, bitcoins are 99% useless.

There is no inherent value to bitcoins. Those who control large quantities of bitcoins gain from speculation. Lets say you bought 100,000 bitcoins for 4 bucks each. Then the market crashes to being worth a few cents. You work with 10 other people, each who own a minimum of 200k or so coins, to corner the market and manipulate it. Worse than that, bitcoins are easily counterfeit (I use easily loosely, but 256 bit encryption is a cake walk for people who know what they're doing).

You can buy a very select few items in real life with bitcoins. I doubt you could buy a gun legally for bitcoins.

You are a fucking liar.

Prove me wrong. If they're so easy to counterfeit, send me 10 fake BTC - here's the address: 13mj3WicBJTX1195wzFERW5v2yDQeQW2kh. Do it, and I'll apologize and leave Arfcom in disgrace.

For those of you in the peanut gallery, the address is linked to Blockchain.info's representation of the public ledger. If money gets sent there, it'll show up immediately. It won't though because wikileaks is a fucking liar.

I know nothing about Bitcoin...

But, I do know if you click that link... next to Tools it says Taint analysis...  LOL

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But, I do know if you click that link... next to Tools it says Taint analysis...  LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
im trying to understand  something about this, how is a bitcoin created and who creates it? with all the talk about fiat currencies, isnt this a nother currency backed up by nothing but full faith and credit of other currencies being used to pay for it? and should there be a internet crash of some sort emp and all that other stuff wouldnt this be worthless without a internet protocol? if a state is trying to get sales tax to be collected on internet sales why would it allow this to spread unless they can get their hands on some of it as well?

ive seen it going up but i dont understand it and dont trust it because i dont understand it. it seems like another version of the real estate market where everyone said it was always going up because there was a limited quantity so it had to increase in value but that only worked so long as there were buyers that were capable of paying. the govt shored up a fantasy real estate market for a while by allowing even those with no ability to pay to enter the market, that failed eventually because it was not possible for the loans to be paid. so why is there a inherent value to a bitcoin other than speculative value and who gains from the speculation? would the us govt or any govt for that matter sell a bond denominated in bitcoin? can i by a gun at a store counter using bitcoin? can i pay for a airline ticket using this currency and would it be at the prevailing value or at some discount for the merchant to redeem it? these are serious questions and from whatever reading i have done i cannot find a answe rto these questions

A bitcoin is basically something you get after your computer does a certain amount of work. This isn't just another currency backed by nothing, its a currency backed by nothing with dozens of FED reserves able to print off as many coins as they wish. Its like giving 10 people the power to print all the 100 dollar bills they want. With the internet bitcoins would be 100% useless. With the internet, bitcoins are 99% useless.

There is no inherent value to bitcoins. Those who control large quantities of bitcoins gain from speculation. Lets say you bought 100,000 bitcoins for 4 bucks each. Then the market crashes to being worth a few cents. You work with 10 other people, each who own a minimum of 200k or so coins, to corner the market and manipulate it. Worse than that, bitcoins are easily counterfeit (I use easily loosely, but 256 bit encryption is a cake walk for people who know what they're doing).

You can buy a very select few items in real life with bitcoins. I doubt you could buy a gun legally for bitcoins.

You are a fucking liar.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I sold at $450...I hope that was not stupid.

$900,000
After taxes and shit I will probably see $500k

I already have plenty of assets, this s just more for me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

$900,000

View Quote
You did good. You can't predict the future.

Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd have the discipline to ride it out after realizing I was sitting on $100,000, nevermind nearly a million.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

$900,000

View Quote

CampBX pays out in money orders.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$900,000

I promise you, you do NOT want to get caught avoiding capital gains taxes on nearly a million dollars.

Really.

A lot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

$900,000

View Quote

Congrats.

Ugh.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn LTC hit $8.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
BTC about to hit $600 again.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok so how do I put money into my BTC-e account to buy some?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Couldn't help you there. I've never put cash in, just mined coins.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#13]
BTC at $682
LTC trying to break $9
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm seeing reports online that it is >$1,000USD/BTC in China.

Holy.
Shit.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The sad part is that this is contributing to the devaluation of the US as a country.  As the dollar becomes weaker, so do we as a country.

There's one reason the US Gov't has stepped in, it helps their current cause.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Bottom fell out - Bitcoin on sale, half off!
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The sad part is that this is contributing to the devaluation of the US as a country.  As the dollar becomes weaker, so do we as a country.

There's one reason the US Gov't has stepped in, it helps their current cause.
View Quote

Give me a fucking break.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just saw  a few coins sell at $500 USD. They're at 630 as I type, and strapped to the rocket again.

There is sooo much money to be made via speculation here.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just saw  a few coins sell at $500 USD. They're at 630 as I type, and strapped to the rocket again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite a bit to be lost, too.  

Like I said, just let me know when ya'll went the bottom to fall out for real.   Because that's what'll happen the second I buy any.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Grrr.  Coinebase let me buy a coin last week, but then wouldn't let me buy another one.  I'm on hold until maybe tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Do any of you bitcoin guys feel that litecoin is worth buying? I used to mine litecoins but I've stopped because I felt like it (and the countless other cryptocurrencites) would never be comparable to bitcoin.

What do you say?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Coinbase is now taking orders for coins to be delivered on Friday at whatever the price at that time is. Damn just a few days ago I was thinking I should get some at $300.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Coinbase is now taking orders for coins to be delivered on Friday at whatever the price at that time is. Damn just a few days ago I was thinking I should get some at $300.

View Quote

Wait... huh???

So it's like a short sell attempt on their part?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]
so....

can i buy a new-old-stock soviet thermonuclear device in the 100 megaton range with a shit-pile of bitcoins? will UPS deliver if i cover haz-mat?

howz about next day air?

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I keep getting offline for maintenance.  No matter, I can't afford to buy until the price drops significantly.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do any of you bitcoin guys feel that litecoin is worth buying? I used to mine litecoins but I've stopped because I felt like it (and the countless other cryptocurrencites) would never be comparable to bitcoin.

What do you say?
View Quote

Litecoin will begin to rise when it's picked up by mtgox and others.  It will not see the astronomical numbers bitcoin has for a number of years I do not believe.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Skimmed thru all 5 pages ... reading here and there.

I still ain't got a clue what a bit coin even is
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I keep getting offline for maintenance.  No matter, I can't afford to buy until the price drops significantly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't you buy fractions of a coin?

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#30]
which cryptocoin has even more privacy?  from what i understand, bitcoin's ledger does give some clue as to owners/transactions.  Im about to jump in and I think I will pick one that has something to offer over BTC
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Last price:$761.00000
High:$900.97998
Low:$531.00000

That delay is what scares me. If someone bought, what's to say they'd have their sell order go through quickly, either?
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What do you say?
View Quote

To me it makes sense that there should be competing currencies.

But I am not an economic expert by any means, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to buy whole coins.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Litecoin will begin to rise when it's picked up by mtgox and others.  It will not see the astronomical numbers bitcoin has for a number of years I do not believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you say?

I like the analogy that it's the silver, to Bitcoin's gold.

Even that's probably a bit simplistic under close examination, but it's the best I've got.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I know, but I mean I can't afford any significant purchases at this price.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure you really want to send money to a Bulgarian exchange?

Stick with Coinbase.  At least then you'll have a throat to choke within driving distance.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I just started alt coin mining a couple days ago and I'm up to a measily .01 of a bit coin.  I'm wondering if renting a GH/s share or two would be worth it from someplace like  Cex.IO or preorder some mining power from butterfly lab's up coming mining farm. I don't have the funds to buy a couple of 5 GH/S mining boxes so thats out. so its either rent out a contract or keep alt mining. My normal hashrate is 520Kh/s
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Even that's probably a bit simplistic under close examination, but it's the best I've got.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you say?

People have said that, but I think if the major exchanges pick it up, it's going to go right where bitcoin is now.  It offers significantly more than bitcoin does, the only thing holding it back is the difficulty of mining and the fact that it's not on any major exchanges and hasn't gotten much publicity.  It does the same thing, only faster and better than btc.

Once we have hardware dedicated to mining it that can help to solve the power draw issues, I think we'll see better adoption.  It's doubled in price overnight, but that's just tracking btc.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just started alt coin mining a couple days ago and I'm up to a measily .01 of a bit coin.  I'm wondering if renting a GH/s share or two would be worth it from someplace like  Cex.IO or preorder some mining power from butterfly lab's up coming mining farm. I don't have the funds to buy a couple of 5 GH/S mining boxes so thats out. so its either rent out a contract or keep alt mining. My normal hashrate is 520Kh/s
View Quote

I wouldn't buy a damn thing from butterfly labs, as far as I can tell they still haven't delivered the vast majority of their pre-orders from july of last year.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't think the coins will stay that high, let alone catch on. This whole market push was in preparation of the senate hearings on its viability, its a simple pump...now ready the dump. Also Its too hard for the norms to use.

but just in case: 1HkoQXcA5MorFVYKhX1yAbqWmPC8T2qGLq

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't think the coins will stay that high, let alone catch on. This whole market push was in preparation of the senate hearings on its viability, its a simple pump...now ready the dump. Also Its too hard for the norms to use.

View Quote

Maybe.

But it's the same song and dance we've been hearing since BTC's inception.

"It won't stay at 10/20/30/40/100/200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900 for long! You'll all be sorry!"

I can see a dip coming, but BTC isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

The market push had nothing to do with anything in the US.  This is being driven entirely by China.  The majority of this is trading in Yuan right now, mtgox is no longer the largest exchange in the world.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Any good info on getting started with litecoin?

Not to interested in mining.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Best I could find was buying Bitcoin on Coinbase and then trading it for Litecoin on BTC-e.

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

go to btc-e and buy I guess.  I wouldn't at 8.50 a coin though, it's going to come back down.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]
LTC FTMFW!!!

I'm trading off BTC for LTC....

LTC is going to change the world!

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

go to btc-e and buy I guess.  I wouldn't at 8.50 a coin though, it's going to come back down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's going to surge higher then drop I'm guessing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LTC FTMFW!!!

I'm trading off BTC for LTC....

LTC is going to change the world!

View Quote

I'm looking more into it right now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's hit the top of this bubble, as has btc.  But we'll see.

Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top