BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Biggest problem with the ceramic type is the thermostat...They don't seem to maintain a comfortable heat level....You have to play with the settings to find the right one that works.....These are the below $50 range of ceramic heaters.
View Quote

Another problem with ceramic heaters is that they only produce maximum heat in very cold temperatures.

Basically, the ceramic heating element is temperature-dependent - The amount of heat it produces depends on the temperature of air flowing though it. So, unless the air is very cold, the heating element never produces anywhere near full output.

Result: A 1500 watt heater that behaves like a 700 watt heater under most conditions.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I thought 1500W was the most an outlet was capable of or something. If they are capable of more, then why don't the heaters that don't require extra stuff such as moving things run higher wattage?
View Quote

Depends on the outlet/breaker/wiring but-

VxA=W

for a 15 amp circuit

120v x 15 amp circuit = a max of 1800w (you should only go up to 80% of that, according to code, but you wont trip the breaker till you hit that max)

20 amp circuit

120v x 20 amp circuit = 2400w max

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:21:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The 1500 watt limit was an attempt at fire prevention I thought. Less fried cords.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:24:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I much prefer oil filled radiant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oil radiant suck ass.  Get a ceramic element heater with a fan.  

Yep.  Silent.  Fan heaters aggravate my tinnitus.  You may hear the thermostatic switch click on and off.
READ the manufacturer's instructions regarding distance from wall and other materials.
It shouldn't be a problem, mine are both close to the wall, and I can put my hand on them and not get burned, though they do get toasty.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a different space heater next to my tv. It looks like a small fire place, but it's just an electric ceramic heater with a bulb that makes it look like a fireplace. Out of the 1500 watts doesn't the bulb, fan, and spinning thing to make it look like a fireplace use energy to turn?

With that logic, I was thinking a radiant is the most efficient. My logic could be flawed with newer and more efficient heat sources such as quartz, and I see youtube has reviews of some Dr Heaters that have 6 or 7 heat tubes which produce far hotter air...

I'm a bit confused by it all, which is possibly sad.
View Quote

All that extra stuff = heat.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:36:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Bare element radiant heat (quartz or simple resistive elements that glow red) will have a greater effect in making bare skin feel warm without air temperature being warmed.  Like on a sunny day.

Oil filled radiators have nearly nothing in this department as they only heat the air.  In reality, they are more convectors than radiators.  

Now, if you suspended 5 heat lamps, each 300 W, around the room, you would have the same thing as a 1500 W bare element radiant heater.  Yes, the air eventually gets warm since the radiant heat warms the surfaces it is absorbed into and those warm surfaces then convect heat to the air.

On fans and lights.  Yes, they do consume energy but even the fan's energy is eventually converted to heat .  But that is 15-30 Watts of heat, a trifle amount.  Same with lights, but 15 incandescent bulbs, each 100 Watts, would also heat the same as a 1500 Watt radiant heater.  Now if you only have CFLs, better have a BUNCH of them.

Heat is work is energy.  All the same.  The reason gas/fuel heat isn't 100% efficient is because of the exhaust gas.  Some fuel heaters (all gas) condense the water vapor produced which puts them into the 96%+ efficient.  The exhaust can be plumbed with plastic pipe (and should because the condensate is corrosive).  Old school fuel heat had to be less efficient because flue gas was extracted by convection which is driven by heat.  This is the nature of a chimney.  Newer gas appliances often use forced convection or a fan to extract exhaust gas.  Yes, the electricity consumed is less than the energy saved by extracting more heat from flue gas.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ALL electric heaters are 100% efficient.

We bought one of those oil filled ones a few years ago as a backup when our central was out a few days. Leaving it on a high setting in the middle of the room and ceiling fan on low heated the room air comfortably.
View Quote

Hmmm...is anything in our universe 100% efficient?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We bought one of those oil filled ones a few years ago as a backup when our central was out a few days. Leaving it on a high setting in the middle of the room and ceiling fan on low heated the room air comfortably.

Democrats are 100% efficient at converting tax revenue into votes

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 3:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And like Democrats, this is 100% waste.

In this application, "efficiency" is converting electrical energy into waste heat.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I purchased a new space heater. I went with the Honeywell HZ-717. It's fantastically silent. It was $70

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-Electric-Oil-Filled-Convection-Radiator-Heater-HZ-717-WMT/21666111

Youtube Video of heater

The fins do get hot enough where you can't have your hand on them for long, but you can touch them for a short time without being burned. It is a nice looking heater. From a photo on the box, it appears they do good in the corner of a room. I may re-situate my bedroom so it can go into the corner of the center of one of the walls.

Thanks for all the great advice in this thread. I think I found a unit that will work great in these cold months. We had our first snowfall that stuck yesterday, so it was time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Space heaters are the debil.
They'll damage every weak electrical connection back to the panel.
We make a lot of money off people who use space heaters and window shakers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as you don't overload the circuit there shouldn't be any problems. How is this different then my entertainment center I have setup using a lot of juice with a computer?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Oil filled are also less likely to cause a fire if they are accidentally tipped or cloth etc put in contact with them.  I have a delongi it has a timer so my office is warm in the am and heat cuts off in the pm if I forget.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah. The less chances of a fire the better for certain
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I purchased a new space heater. I went with the Honeywell HZ-717. It's fantastically silent. It was $70

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-Electric-Oil-Filled-Convection-Radiator-Heater-HZ-717-WMT/21666111

Youtube Video of heater

The fins do get hot enough where you can't have your hand on them for long, but you can touch them for a short time without being burned. It is a nice looking heater. From a photo on the box, it appears they do good in the corner of a room. I may re-situate my bedroom so it can go into the corner of the center of one of the walls.

Thanks for all the great advice in this thread. I think I found a unit that will work great in these cold months. We had our first snowfall that stuck yesterday, so it was time.
View Quote

Exact same one i bought. I like it so far.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one of the DeLonghi models with the manual thermostat and dual switch. It's been great for many years, it's so old it's one of the ones that was made in Italy.

The only time I use both switches (1500W) is when I first turn it on and for about fine minutes at that. Once it's warm, I turn off one of them, and run it at either 700W or 800W and set the thermostat to either 2 or 3. Keeps my bedroom (fucking CA uninsulated home with crappy windows) warm during the winter months comfortably. Sure, the electric bill goes up but why run the central gas furnace all night to heat the whole house (older system) when it's not necessary? I think they're safer than the ceramic ones and certainly quieter without the fan.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youtube Video of heater

Any way to tell when it's heating as opposed to when it's not heating other then seeing if it's hot?
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:00:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As long as you don't overload the circuit there shouldn't be any problems. How is this different then my entertainment center I have setup using a lot of juice with a computer?
View Quote
If your entertainment center draws 1500 W, I would be really impressed.  Same with a computer.  You might have a 1200 W power supply but it isn't always drawing 1200 W.  A CPU can draw about 250 W (all waste heat) and the GPU about the same.  Modern monitors are barely 25 W.  HDD/DVD 5W, except a second or two on startup.

Some giant screen TVs might do 500 W so you might have a point there.  But these are the old ones.

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oil radiant suck ass.  Get a ceramic element heater with a fan.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:37:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:37:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The difference in the efficiency isn't form how it reaches the heat. Oil holds heat longer than the ceramic or anything else. Think about driving your car and taking then changing the oil. You have to wait a bit for the oil to cool back down.

That's what happens here. It takes the same amount of electricity to heat the oil to the temps you want, but the power consuming part of the heater stops when it reaches the desired temp, and the oil stays hot for a while, andcontinues to heat the room. Once the oil cools, then the electric heater turns back on.

On a pure electric, even ceramic, the heater element stays on much, much longer, consuming more power of the same period of time, since they lose their heat faster.

In terms of efficiency it is much better. We sold all kinds of heaters from our furniture stores, and the oil heaters were the best of the electrically generated ones.

I have a Honeywell I just bought and I like it, but only bought it because I was already in walmart.

Personally, I would go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the Delonghi brand. It is by far the best of the type.
View Quote

This is my experience (not sure on the theory, i'm new to hvac) but I probably pay a lot more attention than most because i'm a hvac contractor. The oil filled radiant works better and keeps my electric bill lower.

The ceramic types have their place, and I own some for our office (bunch of fat cold secretaries and also keeping a detached bathroom and wellhouse warm) but for home use I think the oil filled is best.

In my old house, we used 6 oil filled heaters to help the central heat (old drafty farmhouse) and keep the bill lower. My bill would drop about 30 bucks a month when using oil filled to help with the load but went up 60 using ceramics to help with the load.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I've used oil-filled heaters since back in the '50s and like them. It's an even heat, but it does take them a while to get up to temperature.

I had one in my attic ham radio shack back when I was a kid. It was hooked up to a heavy duty time clock to come on about an hour before I got home from school.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

i can outright tell you my power bill was less with a warmer feeling room with the radiators than with ceramic heaters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We've had this discussion on ARFCOM in several previous threads when winter approaches, and many people who appear to know more about this subject than I do have stated there is no difference whatsoever in the "efficiency" of these units in terms of the heat they produce as measured in BTUs (I think?) per killowatt hour.

I still don't know if I believe that, but I presume these people know what they are talking about.

Maybe some of them will chime in here.

i can outright tell you my power bill was less with a warmer feeling room with the radiators than with ceramic heaters.

Ceramic heaters wont heat a room, they heat a spot.  They throw off infrared heat like a flashlight, which means if its not pointed at you, or far away, it will feel cold.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top