Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2013 10:26:54 AM EDT
I'm trying to disassemble my 3M 6200 (6000 series) half-mask respirator for cleaning. Below is an exploded diagram of this exact mask, with part numbers (P/N's) listed. Got everything off except the front portion (P/N 6281) that attaches to the straps. There's a blue rubber-like valve (P/N 6889) on the inside that is removable, but I can't get the front portion (P/N 6281) that is trapping it off. Looking at an exploded diagram, the part is removable. Can't figure out if it twists off or just pops off.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never taken mine apart. I just wipe it down with PPE cleaning pads every time I use it. When it gets too bad I just go to the safety dept and get another one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've never taken mine apart. I just wipe it down with PPE cleaning pads every time I use it. When it gets too bad I just go to the safety dept and get another one.
View Quote

Wish I had that option. This is for my own personal home use, and I already have purchased several other new ones to avoid cleaning. Now I have a bunch of these that are all dirty, and need to be cleaned. Picked up an Allegro cleaning kit (double sided bucket, special cleaning/disinfecting soaps/solutions, special brushes/cleaning tools) to make this as easy and fool-proof as possible. All of these masks have gotten so sweaty (and some have grease/oil on them) that they make me kinda sick from breathing through them. So instead of running up to Home Depot for $20-30 a pop, I've decided that I need to get it over with and clean them myself, lol.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't realize they were that expensive. I guess its a good thing the safety man will give us anything we need even for home use.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't realize they were that expensive. I guess its a good thing the safety man will give us anything we need even for home use.
View Quote

Yeah, they're not cheap but for the price they're a good value. Next time around I'll order the 7000 series versions online instead (stores generally don't stock them, even though they're not that much more expensive) - the face seal is better, and supposedly the overall quality/comfort is better. I like to have one set aside for dust use (w/P100 filters), and another for chemical use (w/VOC type filters). I find that the P100 6000/7000 series respirator filters (the pink colored ones) are basically the same price as a disposable 3M P100 (#8293) mask, and the respirator is MUCH more comfortable to wear (and prob filters a little better due to the face-seal). I keep a couple of the disposable P100 masks in my portable (in-car) PPE/emergency kit, since they're smaller, simpler to use and inherently aren't as sensitive to extreme temperatures during storage as an actual respirator. But for in-home/shop and/or extended time period use, I always prefer an actual respirator over a disposable mask.

***EDIT***

Ok, finally found a video on the web that shows how this comes apart. I guess you just have to tug on it hard and it pops off. I suspected that, but didn't want to damage anything if it wasn't supposed to come apart like that. Video linky below:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top