Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2002 1:32:20 PM EDT
WASHINGTON, Pa. (AP) - A man won't be charged for fatally wounding another man with a baseball bat after the man broke into his home over the weekend, state police said Monday.

James Liermann, of Somerset Township, struck Andrew Lock, 40, of Hamburg, N.Y., in the head with a bat after Lock broke through a window and injured Liermann's 7-year-old son, police said. Lock died of head injuries from the blows on Friday, according to a coroner's report.

Lock, who had a history of depression, crashed a Dodge Neon into a utility pole in Washington County about 8:30 p.m. Friday and then broke into a nearby house where he assaulted the boy, according to police.

The boy, also named James Liermann, had his neck cut by flying glass when Lock broke in. Liermann was released from Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh early Monday morning.

State police said the elder James Liermann hit Lock with a baseball bat. Police consulted with Washington County District Attorney John Pettit, who determined Liermann was justified in striking Lock.

Police in New York said Lock's family reported him missing Friday. Family members told police that Lock had recently suffered a breakdown.

Pennsylvania state police said the Liermanns had no connection to Lock.

[i]Copyright 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/i]
View Quote

More: [url]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/archives/s_103206.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, as much as I hate to say it, good.  Assaulting kids is major bad juju and sounds like Lock was off his rocker in a major way.

Now if the dad had beaten him 20-30 times with the bat, might be a different story.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Did he use an evil high-velocity aluminum bat?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
That isn't the wierd part.

The wierd part is this guy being in a part of the country he has never been before.

Then slamming his car into a utility pole-and walking away like nothing happened.

Then breaking into a strangers house through a window with only his bare hands

Then assaulting the kid with shards of glass in his bare hands.

Now I have never personally had to handle anyone on PCP, but from media acounts of other incidents, this sure sounds like someone on PCP.

Any cops or medics out there with experience in dealing with dusted people-does this sound like PCP use to you?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
had it been me and my kid......well, lets just say i would have shot him and then beat him with the bat.

Good Job James Lierman!!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
was that a preban bat or a postban bat? i would have grabbed a handgun but he got the same results.San Fransisco needs another slugger to push Barry a little[bd]
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Bad thing, good outcome.
I'm off to get some bats before they're banned.
MM419
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Did the bat have a bayo lug and flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Just keep your bat and your balls stored separately.  For safety's sake.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Geez, I'm glad our system was able to sort this out.

I mean, it must have taken lots of thought and time to come to a verdict on this one. [rolleyes]

Why would a report even have to be made on something SO clear cut?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just keep your bat and your balls stored separately.  For safety's sake.
View Quote

Let's start marketing "Batsafes" by BatMan.

MM419
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]
It's unfortunate Lock was unable to get the help he needed.  Too bad it was up to James Liermann to grant Lock peace.  Lucky the Child wasn't hurt too badly. I feel bad for all involved [:(] The child been terrorized and James Liermann, Sr. has blood on his hands.  I'm not saying Liermann was wrong, I am saying it's unfortunate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank God he had a bat handy and had no reservations about using it. In a situation like that the best thing to do is take care of business first and then call 911.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Good for the dad, and no I do not feel sorry for the dead guy. The kid was 7!!!!!!!! [red]7[/red]! That lost on anybody? You guys saying you feel sorry for the guy disgust me. Should have been hung with his intestines, going through rough times or not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Assault bats are in fact legal, provided they're not shorter than 16" in length.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Now if the dad had beaten him 20-30 times with the bat, might be a different story.
View Quote

yah, funnier
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top