Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2002 10:11:34 AM EDT
Is the intended purpose of a poncho liner for wearing under the poncho to add warmth or is it's only use to line the ponch when using the poncho for a light weight sleeping bag?

Can someone give a brief "PONCHO 101" class for those of us who have no military training?

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Heh, you would look funny wearing your poncho with the liner tied into it.  The liner DOES NOT have a hole in the center like the poncho does...
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a question too... is it worth buying a thinsulate one over the regular issue liner?

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#3]
the poncho liner doesnt have a neckhole, but BQ sells a zipper kit that you can use to modify your 'cho liner with a head zipper for poncho wear, and a side zipper for sleeping bag use.  ive got one for one of mine.  it's groovy.

i have the thinsulate liner, it's a bit bulkier than the standard liners.  it's supposed to squish down to a smaller size than the the GI 'cho liner, but it doesnt quite.
i havent noticed that its a whole lot warmer than the regular liner, but i havent done a whole lot of testing with it either...

for extra cool points you can often find desert camo (chocolate chip)poncho liners at gun shows, and ive seen german flecktarn camo liners in sportsmans guide.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Here is a quote from RANGER*SURPLUS. Their adv shows the same liner that I have looked at in my local surplus store. You'r right, no slit for your head. So how do you wear it under the poncho as stated in the adv.

" US GI Poncho Liner, Woodland Camo  
Genuine Issue ripstop nylon quilted poncho liner in woodland camo pattern. Wear under your G.I. Poncho for added warmth. The nylon lining is stitched to an insulating fiber fill.

Use as ground cover, part of a shelter, or as a blanket when camping. Wear over your rucksack and other gear and still keep the chill off. "
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
a poncho liner is a grunts best friend.
I didn't go anywhere without mine. I used mine for a lw sleeping bag many times. best thing to sleep in a fighting position with. I still use one when I go camping, and I also have one in my truck for emergencies
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
a poncho liner is a grunts best friend.
View Quote

Agreed.  The poncho liner is probably the best piece of field gear the Army ever issued me.  I always had at least two in my ruck (inside a waterproof bag of course).

The Thinsulate one doesn't make much of a difference (at least in my experience).  Get the regular issue one, and buy new, not used from some surplus store.

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
How does thinsulate compare when it's wet?  Will it dry faster or anything like that?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top