Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2002 4:08:31 PM EDT
Aka the "Homeland Security" bill. I have been reading news reports that the Senate Democrats are whining about things like immunity for drug companies' vaccines and airport security companies but nothing about the provision creating a database of ALL our financial, medical, and other activities. Has these provisions already been stripped from the bill (as quietly as the made it in)? Why aren't the major news organizations posting about it if they have (even Foxnews)? Anybody got a S.xxx number that we can look up?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
H.R. 5710 passed the House, was received in the Senate and is being prepared for the Senate floor.

[url]http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:H.R.5710:[/url]
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't you worry your little head about it, there's a "War On Terror" going on.... Looks like McCain is going to join the dems to get some stuff removed. The "papers please" stuff will prolly stay in. Ashcroft and bush need the "tools" to protect you.

NO WHINING!!
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it just me, or does the name "Department of Homeland Security" sound eerily like the "Committee for State Security" ([b]K[/b]omitet [b]G[/b]osudarstvennoy [b]B[/b]ezopasnosti)?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it just me, or does the name "Department of Homeland Security" sound eerily like the "Committee for State Security" ([b]K[/b]omitet [b]G[/b]osudarstvennoy [b]B[/b]ezopasnosti)?
View Quote

Agreed.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't you worry your little head about it, there's a "War On Terror" going on.... Looks like McCain is going to join the dems to get some stuff removed. The "papers please" stuff will prolly stay in. Ashcroft and bush need the "tools" to protect you.
View Quote

From what I read today McCain is joining with the Democrats to oppose all the additions to the bill. But WHY isn't the database thing being mentioned?

BTW I looked up HR5710 under Senate.gov and I took a look at all the amendments. I couldn't find anything about the database; unless it's hidden in legal gibberish it's not there.

Here's the link:

[url]http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c107:1:./temp/~c107H9AQxs::[/url]
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, things are getting exciting now. I wish I had a few more years so I could establish a home in a rural area. *shrug* I'll just have to make do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top