Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2002 1:09:52 PM EDT
Me and my wife went to visit my brother-in-law (not the smartest person in the world). When we got there he was obviously upset and I asked "Whats the matter dude?" and he said " I have been up for 3 days tryin to get this freakin shotgun together again!!! I am so sick of it you just have the efin thing!!" So I looked at it....and within 2 mins I had it back together and working again:) Here's where I need your guys advice.  He sawed of the original barrel to the end of the pump, He cut off the butt stock and tried to turn it into a pistol grip. And he has carved "No Fear" and nazi symbols in the pump...I have already sanded down the pump and restained it black.  What would you guys suggest to turn this into the ultimate home defense shotgun?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Did he cut that barrel below 18 inches in length???  If so, you better get another barrel.

Edited to correct a grievious error
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah..the barrels toast...he used a dull hack saw and didnt even get it straight...basically i have everything but a butt and a barrel
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Backwoods,

If the barrel has been cut to the end of the pump, it is ~12.5", significantly less than the 18" required for legal lenght. The gun probably doesn't meet the overall lenght minimum either if the stock has been cut back that far.

Get that barrel off NOW and get rid of it!

If you want a short barreled shotgun, do it legally, like this:

[img]www.armscenter.com/xm777/Pics/WP870-001.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
HAHA!! Funny you mention that! After we got home my mother in law called and asked if there was anyway I could take his rifle too..I just told her to coinvince him to take it apart and I would be right over:) XM777 that looks very nice! Is it legal to have one that short? BTW barrel was tossed in a dumpster in his apartment complex.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Just give it back to him.

New barrel.
New buttstock.

By the time you throw in $100.00 to have an exorcism performed on it you may as well buy a new one.

'Course, if you're brave enough to skip the exorcism, you could just go with a new 18 1/2" barrel, stock, choate three round extension, and some sort of shell carrier.

I've got a butt cuff on mine. works pretty good if you put a drop of hot glue here and there to hold it on.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
It's an original Wilson Arms WP870. NFA registered as an AOW and transfers with a $5.00 tax stamp.

To answer your question, yes it is legal, but only if properly registered and transferred.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top