Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up, mine is on the list also. Will contact them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Checked the one in my Mom's basement. It's on the list. I bought the thing for her. Need to take care of that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up! Mine is on the list!
View Quote

Both of mine are too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the notice!
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My dehumidifier is fortunately not on the list, however I did see on the CPSC website that I have been using a recalled APC surge protector that I just now disconnected.  Just filed my claim.  

Thanks for the recall alert in general!
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a dehumidifier, but I want to thank you for posting this Marie.

I can't imagine losing everything to a fire.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would never have known about this other than clicking on the thread which I just happened to do for some unknown reason.

My house could have burned down and that safe is packed with at least 20 long rifles, a very large amount of Buck knives and at least 10 pistols.  I have 3 shotguns in there including an Antonio Zoli O/U that is worth a good amount, a Remington 1100, 4 AR's, 7 AKs and a few deer rifles.

I could deal with the loss of the house and contents except for the loss of the firearms, ammo or my life.
Those 3 things are irreplaceable.

Must have been fate led me to click on Marie's thread

Thank you.
View Quote

thanks for letting me know whether burgling you is worth the effort.  now I know
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

thanks for letting me know whether burgling you is worth the effort.  now I know
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would never have known about this other than clicking on the thread which I just happened to do for some unknown reason.

My house could have burned down and that safe is packed with at least 20 long rifles, a very large amount of Buck knives and at least 10 pistols.  I have 3 shotguns in there including an Antonio Zoli O/U that is worth a good amount, a Remington 1100, 4 AR's, 7 AKs and a few deer rifles.

I could deal with the loss of the house and contents except for the loss of the firearms, ammo or my life.
Those 3 things are irreplaceable.

Must have been fate led me to click on Marie's thread

Thank you.

Yeah, you go ahead and do that, I keep a loaded AK in the room and have a pistol within reach.  One guy tried it once.  He didn't run fast enough.  The baseball bat was put to good use, the police showed up but turned around and walked back around the garage until I finished with him.  When the police arrive they'll find that you were armed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Another owner of a 70 pint Sears dehumidifier on the recall list. What is the drill??? Call Sears??? Are they giving refunds for what the initial cost was?? Mine is in my G/F's deceased Mom's house now, if it burns the house down that would save her the trouble of selling it...........
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup work has on of these on the list.
Thing runs all day. Jumping between 40-45%.

There was a burnt smell as I entered the room.
Unplugged and boss notified.

Thanks for the heads up, that would of sucked to be out of work for how ever long it took to rebuild.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Just checked mine and its not on the list.  Thanks for the heads up though OP.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the heads up.  Mine was on the list - it's been running 24/7/365 in my basement since 2010. Yikes!

Unplugged it and sent in my information to gree for a return kit.  I wonder how much I'll get for it.

For those of you with a recalled dehumidifier, here's the website where you can apply for your return kit to get a refund (you have to send back the name plate & power cord)

http://www.greedehumidifierrecall.com/ProductEntry.aspx

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the post as I have one that is running as I type this.

Any recommendations for a replacement?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Passed this around at work, got two owners with recalled units inside an hour.

This thing's BIG!
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got one one recalled it's the Soleusair 30 pint.
I've got GE 30 pint that looks damn near identical made almost a year later that's not recalled. I called GE to verify. If your'e not sure call and verify, they all have hotlines and the wait's not too bad.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#16]
OP,
Thank you for the heads up !!!
Dennis
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yup work has on of these on the list.
Thing runs all day. Jumping between 40-45%.

There was a burnt smell as I entered the room.
Unplugged and boss notified.

Thanks for the heads up, that would of sucked to be out of work for how ever long it took to rebuild.
View Quote

Yeesh! Bet.boss was thrilled. That burning smell is.scary. You guys might have had a.fire today.otherwise.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a Frigidaire which was on that list, but was replaced under warranty before the recall.  Originally purchased at Lowes in 2010, and used probably eight months a year .  I started noticing that there was hardly any water in the bucket, and the compressor was running nearly constantly without much effect on the room humidity.  Before putting in the warranty claim, I opened the back cover to see if there was anything to service, and noticed the compressor was literally too hot to even touch.  Frigidaire had me send the label and receipt in, and I was offered and received a reimbursement for the full retail price I had paid for the dehumidifier.  I thought that was very generous and wondered at that time if they knew of a problem that they offered to pay me back the full price.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the post as I have one that is running as I type this.

Any recommendations for a replacement?
View Quote

Yeah, good question. I need a new dehumidifier most riki tik.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for posting. I have one of the affected unit models, checking date code now...
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Talking to the Gree girl now. She says $239 will be what I am refunded. I have a 50 pint Frigidaire that is subject to the recall.

edit: I can't recall how much it cost up front. I got it at Lowes, I'm not sure if it cost more than that or not. Probably, but it's better than having a charred basement.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Page of additional kenmore recalls

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2012/Sears-Recalls-Kenmore-Dehumidifiers-Due-to-Fire-and-Burn-Hazards/
View Quote

Mine's a 580 54501.400 not on the list, but like I'm really going to trust this thing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes PM me in illinois carry with an email address and I can send them.  

And I am grateful for you getting this out there.  I posted it in a few other forums and one of them actually banned me and said I was spamming them.  What a joke.   I just wanted to be sure people know about it.  

I just sent you a PM in this forum with my email address     I dont know how to load them here sorry
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANK YOU Marie for posting this.  Im the member that had the house fire and it is good to see people take this serious.  Having a firearm collection/reloading equipment/ammo and a dehumidifier go hand in hand so I am glad Marie got this to out to you guys. Please tell as many people as you can and help prevent anyone else going through my nightmare.  Be safe.  

You're welcome. After what happened to you, I wanted to make sure others knew about it. That's why the tack was requested.

Do you have any photos of your damage?

And I am grateful for you getting this out there.  I posted it in a few other forums and one of them actually banned me and said I was spamming them.  What a joke.   I just wanted to be sure people know about it.  

I just sent you a PM in this forum with my email address     I dont know how to load them here sorry

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, but glad that no one was harmed. I don't mean to sound trite, but most "things" can be replaced.

As a PSA, would you mind telling us what shitbird forum would ban you for trying to help others avoid the suffering you are going through?

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, but glad that no one was harmed. I don't mean to sound trite, but most "things" can be replaced.

As a PSA, would you mind telling us what shitbird forum would ban you for trying to help others avoid the suffering you are going through?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANK YOU Marie for posting this.  Im the member that had the house fire and it is good to see people take this serious.  Having a firearm collection/reloading equipment/ammo and a dehumidifier go hand in hand so I am glad Marie got this to out to you guys. Please tell as many people as you can and help prevent anyone else going through my nightmare.  Be safe.  

You're welcome. After what happened to you, I wanted to make sure others knew about it. That's why the tack was requested.

Do you have any photos of your damage?

Marie deserves the credit for posting it here and getting the photos loaded too.

Im going to give them a couple of days to "change their mind" before I put it out there.  I will at least try to be fair.  I posted it on Illinois Carry and 1911forum.com and they let it be. The "other" forum said I was spamming them but then said they wanted to do a story about it later.  So before I name them I will give them a few days to see if they are just bullshitting me or not.  I am just glad so many people are taking it serious.  I wish I had known a week earlier.  The recall was issued the 12th and my fire happened the 19th.  I was sitting here and it struck me there is a real connection between dehumidifiers and firearm enthusiasts so I decided to get it out there.  After that it took off and spread.  The more that hear about it the better.  I will let you know if they decide to do a story or not.    
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Just saw this thread for the first time, I know what I'm doing as soon as I get home.  Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Got in touch with Gree, and they are sending me a kit to remove certain parts off my dehumidifier unit and return to them, and then they'll cut me a $299 check (average retail price of the unit).  I told them that I had the purchase receipt and that I paid less than that, but they said everyone gets the same amount. Okay by me, hopefully it'll buy me another decent unit.

Of course, try finding a unit NOT made in China.  Rots a Ruck with that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine is on the list........called the number, took about 10 minutes, the young man was very professional.  

Maybe I should try Obamacare next.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mobrules sent me 8 pics to post, so here they are. His M1A rusted after being hit with water from the fire being put out...
View Quote

Probably the least of his concerns, but I imagine that M1A could be re-parked by Shuff's or another good service rifle 'smith?

Do we need to start a "Help Mobrules re-parkerize his M1A" fund?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Probably the least of his concerns, but I imagine that M1A could be re-parked by Shuff's or another good service rifle 'smith?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mobrules sent me 8 pics to post, so here they are. His M1A rusted after being hit with water from the fire being put out...

I believe a local gunsmith has already picked up Mobrules firearms and is working on them.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I believe a local gunsmith has already picked up Mobrules firearms and is working on them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told since there is actually rust inside the barrel there was nothing that could be done with the M1A.  Maybe someone else knows different?   I am not a gunsmith at all.  I know enough to clean and maintain but that's it. Luckily I didnt lose any of my AR collection and several handguns.  I lost 6 total, 3 handguns, M1A, a .22 and my Mossberg 500 defender.  I am still waiting to hear what insurance is going to give for replacing them.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Just checked mine. It's recalled too. Thanks so much for posting this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#32]
in for the check when I get gome.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Given how many guys with gun collections run a dehumidifier, this is worthy of the tack.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine is affected as well, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:11:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Add me to the list, Solus Air 50 pint model, I will be calling them shortly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My dehumidifier is fortunately not on the list, however I did see on the CPSC website that I have been using a recalled APC surge protector that I just now disconnected.  Just filed my claim.  

Thanks for the recall alert in general!
View Quote

Tripp Lite and nothing but.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Sister in laws dehumidifier went up last month.
I don't know the details but it was on the list and the danger is real.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#38]

How much damage.to your SIL's home?

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Called mine in, turns out that it is not on the list. I had received a recall notice from somebody [ Sears, I think ] a few months ago, but was not using it anyway and forgot about it. All is well that ends well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#41]

I am so sorry for your sister in law.  I spoke with my insurance adjuster and he said he is aware of 200+ fires at this point.  Hopefully she has insurance that fixes it.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was told since there is actually rust inside the barrel there was nothing that could be done with the M1A.  Maybe someone else knows different?   I am not a gunsmith at all.  I know enough to clean and maintain but that's it. Luckily I didnt lose any of my AR collection and several handguns.  I lost 6 total, 3 handguns, M1A, a .22 and my Mossberg 500 defender.  I am still waiting to hear what insurance is going to give for replacing them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

USGI M14 barrels are chrome lined. I think a short burst of water would not affect that. The NM M14 barrels are not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the heads up. I bought a dehumidifier earlier this year from lowes, I leave it on sometimes during the day/ overnight. I'll have to check when I get home
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the post and the tack.

For some reason the word "dehumidifier" went right over my head until just now.

Humidity isn't much of an issue where I live.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Called mine in, turns out that it is not on the list. I had received a recall notice from somebody [ Sears, I think ] a few months ago, but was not using it anyway and forgot about it. All is well that ends well.
View Quote

Negative - there is a DIFFERENT recall for some Sears units.  Get back on the site and search on "dehumidifier" and you'll find it.  That's what I did when I saw my unit wasn't on the Gree list.  I hit on LG (my unit not covered) but also saw there were Kenmore units recalled.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Thank you again OP, I have one and my oldest son has one also.
both are now unplugged and awaiting call tags.
Dennis
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn, I've been running mine constantly for a year and a half now. Thanks for posting this up, probably saved my ass.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#48]
My dehumidifier catches on fire every summer. The model is a "Utah".
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got off the phone with the hotline.  I bought mine in 2008, and used the hell out of it, no probs.  

$239 refund for my model, which is about what I paid for it.  5 years free use.  This has got to be costing them mega-mega bucks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#50]
just got home- add me to the list of potentially prevented fires. Big thank you to Mobrules and Marie. I leave this thing on overnight and while im at work all the time. yikes

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top