Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here is the response I received from Steve at Hornday today.  For what it's worth.

[b][i]We don't quite know where all of this is coming from so suddenly, but the difference between TAP and our "civilian" ammo is the wrapper.  Please tell your friends and update the web site/forum that's promoting this. They are way off base.

SteveH[/b][/i]

Regards,
Gary
View Quote

Gary,

According to Troy who has tested the ammo, the 75gr TAP is loaded hotter (200+ fps) than the corresponding commercial stuff.

I would like to hear Steve H. confirm or deny.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Winchester, Remington, and federal all make [b]+P+[/b] ammunition, usually 9mm 115Gn JHP, which they voluntarily restrict to their Govt customers. Black Hills makes a 100Gn 5.56mm that they restict to the US military. Almost ever ammo manufacturer has voluntarily restricted products.
View Quote

A while ago Tatjana posted about the BH 100grain 5.56mm magazine length, and she said it was just in development, and hadn't gone anywhere yet. Not even on their website last I checked.

And you can get +p+ rounds on Eric the Ammoman's site.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
For those who wonder about the Golden Saber, my understanding is that the "LEO only" load is the core-bonded version, more or less similar to the Gold Dot. We civilians can get the "jacket goes one way and core another way" version.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is the response I received from Steve at Hornday today.  For what it's worth.

[b][i]We don't quite know where all of this is coming from so suddenly, but the difference between TAP and our "civilian" ammo is the wrapper.  Please tell your friends and update the web site/forum that's promoting this. They are way off base.

SteveH[/b][/i]

Regards,
Gary
View Quote

Gary,

According to Troy who has tested the ammo, the 75gr TAP is loaded hotter (200+ fps) than the corresponding commercial stuff.

I would like to hear Steve H. confirm or deny.
View Quote

OK Guys, I just got off the phone speaking with Steve Hornady for about 10-15 minutes on the issue.  I just wanted to state that he was very pleasant and patient with my questions.

He states that the same rounds, labeled as varmint and match are STILL AVAILABLE.  The TAP round was marketed to police so that if they had to shoot a person in a tactical situation, they wouldn't end up in court trying to explain why the used an evil "varmint" round to take out a bad guy.  Also, the TAP rounds are "excise tax exempt," I'm presuming since they are sold to law enforcement.

Steve stated that the TAP round was removed from the civilian market some time ago and the current situation with Eric resulted in a previously placed order that had to be denied.  He also was very strong in stating that this was not done due to be "politically correct" and he is, in his own words "as politically incorrect as they come."  He also stated that this has nothing to do with the D.C. snipers.  Steve said that the the TAP name is only a label and is used to track sales to law enforcement.

My .02 is that he wants to be able to track the sale to law enforcement and since it was available to civilians, the past sales data was worthless.  You can still buy the EXACT SAME LOADS.

-White Horse

p.s.  Let's not crucify a company that has served the community for so long.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top