Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/11/2002 5:38:56 PM EDT
My old Interface (sp?) 20/20 is dead. It used to be one of the best when I got it and now it's time for a new one. The sturgeon bite should be getting pretty good soon. I need one for salmon trolling and sturgeon/striper fishing. I kinda liked the paddle wheel for running speed and water current speed,not sure if they even make them anymore. Any good ideas on what to get and what to stay away from? I don't really care what it costs (with in reason). Thanks. Andy
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:39:56 AM EDT
I rec Lowrance/Eagle or perhaps Garmin. If you think you might want to add different transducers later, go with the Lowrance/Eagle. Hummingbirds are usually cheaper, but IMHO, not as good a choice.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:54:35 AM EDT
I have an Eagle, no problems for the last 2 years. It has worked well in both fresh and salt water.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:09:22 AM EDT
I LOVE my Hummingbird 3D with side view. Had it long enough I had to replaced the screen (fade out after eight+ years).
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:38:53 AM EDT
I have had several brands Eagle, Hummingbird and Lowrance. The Eagle was on a boat we bought and I don't think it ever worked![:(] I have had 5 different Hummingbirds ranging in price from $100 to $300. I have a Lowrance X-85 now and it is by far the best I have ever owned or used with buddies in their boats. They have replaced it with a different model # now. [url]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0012343&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat21392&parentId=cat21392&parentType=index&rid=[/url] Big(YouWillNotRegretPayingALittleMoreNow!)Doz­er66
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 8:37:16 PM EDT
I worked in a sporting goods store and sold a lot(!) of depthfinders over several years... Lowrance, Eagle, Hummingbird and some Garmin. Sold more Hummingbirds that others by 2 to 1 (Hummingbirds are cheaper), but complaints and returns were much higher for the Hummingbirds than others. Overall, customer feedback generally was that Eagle/Lowrance's customer service was much better that Hummingbird's. FWIW, I have a Hummingbird Paramount (wide) 3D with all the bells & whistles. Works OK, but I probably wouldn't buy another to replace it. Also, the hi-res screen on the new Garmins is really nice.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:42:53 PM EDT
When I looked at them at Bass Pro recently, it's unbelievable how the detail (pixel count) has increased since I got my Eagle Ultra as a gift a few years ago. It seems like some of the models are finally getting detail close to the old paper graphs. The new Lowrance models look really good, but their top models are still way out of my price range. I just wonder if picking up bottom feeders like sturgeon is easier on some of the newer models. In other words, if the transducers have good object from bottom separation.
Top Top