Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/10/2002 2:35:49 PM EDT
Sound off on whether you've upgraded your discman with high-end headphones and headphone amps. What are my choices? Did you really notice a big difference in sound quality? Sennheiser vs Grado vs Beyerdynamic vs Etymoyic vs AKG. Will a middle of the line Headroom amp be sufficent or do I need to spend more than $200 for an amp? Is an amp really necessary, or can I get by with just headphones? Argue away, guys. I really want to improve my sound and need some audiophile input.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:31:32 PM EDT
Cmon, isn't there anyone who listens to a discman and has upgraded their headphones?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:47:27 PM EDT
I use Sennheiser HD 440 II's that I've had since '93. Haven't bought a dedicated headphone amp because I really haven't felt the need for one. Upgrading the headphones alone makes a BIG difference--at least it did for me. The most notable difference is the clarity of the highs, and the bass response with a higher-quality headphone than the one the Discman came with. You can get some really nice phones for not too much green. Try here: [url]http://www.audioadvisor.com/[/url] I've bought a good deal of higher-end equipment from them, and they often have some great sale prices.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:13:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:20:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/10/2002 7:21:40 PM EDT by 1_153_370_371_407]
I've got a set of grado sr60 headphones that sound great without a headphone amp i use them for listening to cds played in the cddrive of my computer at work i think they're a good buy at $60 if you have a couple hundered to blow, the Sennheisers sound awsome. I would have gone the Sennheiser + amp rout but I only use the headphones at work, and I don't pay enough attention to the music there to justify the $$$. I've got a great stereo at home so don't need the phones.
Top Top