Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2002 2:35:49 PM EDT
Sound off on whether you've upgraded your discman with high-end headphones and headphone amps.

What are my choices?

Did you really notice a big difference in sound quality?

Sennheiser vs Grado vs Beyerdynamic vs Etymoyic vs AKG.

Will a middle of the line Headroom amp be sufficent or do I need to spend more than $200 for an amp?

Is an amp really necessary, or can I get by with just headphones?

Argue away, guys. I really want to improve my sound and need some audiophile input.

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Cmon, isn't there anyone who listens to a discman and has upgraded their headphones?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Sennheiser HD 440 II's that I've had since '93.  Haven't bought a dedicated headphone amp because I really haven't felt the need for one.  Upgrading the headphones alone makes a BIG difference--at least it did for me.  The most notable difference is the clarity of the highs, and the bass response with a higher-quality headphone than the one the Discman came with.  You can get some really nice phones for not too much green.  Try here:

[url]http://www.audioadvisor.com/[/url]

I've bought a good deal of higher-end equipment from them, and they often have some great sale prices.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a set of grado sr60 headphones that sound great without a headphone amp

i use them for listening to cds played in the cddrive of my computer at work

i think they're a good buy at $60

if you have a couple hundered to blow, the Sennheisers sound awsome. I would have gone the Sennheiser + amp rout but I only use the headphones at work, and I don't pay enough attention to the music there to justify the $$$. I've got a great stereo at home so don't need the phones.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top