Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/8/2002 5:55:01 PM EDT
My wife and I would like to get her Dad a laser range finder for Xmas. He does a lot of hunting up here and has always talked about how nice it would be to have one. Anyway, I don't know that much about them. Figured I'd ask the AR15.com Army.... Thanks for the help. DG84
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2002 6:07:54 PM EDT by thinman]
I've had a couple different brands and now have a LEICA. Really happy with this one. Good optics, accurate, and good battery life. All around, hard to beat. Depending on model, you're looking at a 300-500 dollar range. (no pun intended) Good Luck!
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:18:37 PM EDT
Depends what he's going to use it for. No sense getting a 1000yrd rangefinder if he's only going to use it for bow hunting ;) They all pretty much work. I prefer one with any other color but black for the readouts. It's real hard to read them in low light.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:48:32 PM EDT
Don't screw around , just get him the Leica rangefinder . I have gone thru many binocular until I coughed up the money for a pair of Leicas . Sorry I didn't do it 25 years ago ! And now I'm about to upgrade rangefinders . You can't beat Leica PERIOD. And you may never want to shoot an animal at 600 + yards but the thing is great for OTHER USES in the field. I'm going to get myself the new 1200 yard/meter version because of the several reports I've read , Leica upgraded the electronics to make it work "perfect in all conditions" compared to their 1000 yd. model which is rated the best out there . There have been complaints by some writers that these have no neck straps or attachment points for such a strap. They want to hang a rangrfinder on their neck ALONG WITH BINOCULARS ? At 4"X4"X1" the things will fit in your pocket ! Can't do that with my Bushnels ! So pop on the dough, Dad will love you for it !
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:54:29 PM EDT
Another vote for LEICA. ARH
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 8:22:09 PM EDT
I used the Nikon800 and had good luck. Is the Leica better? Is is available in Rubber Armoured?
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 8:31:57 PM EDT
This should help in your decision making process. Here's the main page for snipercountry's 'In Review': [url]http://www.snipercountry.com/inreview.htm#Optics[/url] Scroll down the page for Laser Range Finders: [url]http://www.snipercountry.com/BushnellYP400.htm[/url] Bushnell [url]http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Leica_LRF800_LRF1200.htm[/url] Leica [url]http://www.snipercountry.com/NikonCompact800.htm[/url] NIKON I like NIKON stuff, so, that's what I'll get. Whatever you choose, Dear Old Dad's gonna love it!
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 1:03:57 AM EDT
hey, thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 1:08:14 AM EDT
Is the range readout illuminated for low light use in the Liecas?
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 1:16:46 AM EDT
The Leica uses LED technology as opposed to LCD (Bushnell & Nikon), which makes it easier to read in bright daylight as well as at dusk. The only drawback to that is they have a very simple readout. Not as much information is presented as with the Bushnell. I still want to see a comparison to Newcon Optik, the Canadian product.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:19:17 AM EDT
Mine is a Leica. My hunting buddies with other brands of range finders that have used mine for a little bit to check it out all say that their next one will be a Leica! Tuco
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:06:25 AM EDT
Is there any visible light from the front side of the unit that would give away your position? Does it use a visible laser or IR?
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 8:35:36 AM EDT
Another vote for Leica here. Mine's an 800 but I'd get the 1200 if I were buying one now, the newer ones have improved electronics and work better in bright sunlight.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:34:12 PM EDT
I have the bushnell Yardage Pro 800. Works just great. Has a backlight for low lighting conditions.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 9:13:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RipMeyer: I have the bushnell Yardage Pro 800. Works just great. Has a backlight for low lighting conditions.
View Quote
The early ones had the illuminated display feature. For some unknown reason it was dropped on all subsequent lots and models.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 10:57:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PeterAR: Is there any visible light from the front side of the unit that would give away your position? Does it use a visible laser or IR?
View Quote
If someone is looking at you with NV they will be able to see it as long as it is "on". My son and I have verified it using our NV and a Leica 1200 yard model. BTW, We both really like the Leica. I found the read out and optical clarity much better than the Bushnell products, and slightly better than Nikon.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 10:57:40 PM EDT
Backlighting eats batteries a lot faster.
Top Top