Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2002 5:23:18 AM EDT
You guys see this one???  An historic TRAILER PARK!?!?  Looks like another case of CA infringing upon property owner rights.

Who here is going to add the TP to their tour of wonderful CA when they visit next?  Are we to assume that this is some of the best history that CA has to offer!?[rolleyes]

Trailer park makes L.A. historic monument list
Park joins Hollywood sign on protected list
Friday, November 8, 2002 Posted: 12:35 AM EST (0535 GMT)

LOS ANGELES. California (AP) -- A tree-shaded trailer park has been named to the city's list of historic and cultural monuments, becoming what could be the first mobile home park in the country given the designation, officials said.

The Monterey Trailer Park, a few miles northeast of downtown, dates to the early 1920s. It served as an auto camp to provide temporary housing to people moving to Los Angeles after World War I, according to the Los Angeles Conservancy, which lobbied for the status.

The City Council unanimously approved the designation Tuesday. The trailer park joins 715 other Los Angeles historic sites, including an avocado grove and the Hollywood sign.

Owner Peter Young opposed the designation, saying he feared it would interfere with his plans to restore the 1.7-acre trailer park. He did not attend the council meeting.

When built, the site boasted laundry facilities, 10 guest cabins and two small Craftsman-style homes nestled among pines, elms, live oaks and a pair of redwoods.

The guest cabins are now gone but two homes and some other facilities remain, along with 22 trailers and mobile homes used by about 30 residents.

The designation will have little effect on day-to-day life at the park. However, it will restrict the owner's ability to make changes without city approval
View Quote

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/West/11/07/offbeat.historic.trailer.park.ap/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#1]
are there twisters in Califucknia?
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#2]
While having the designation does restrict the owner from doing certain things it also gives him special loan rates on things he can do and freezes the property tax rates even to people who own it later.  They are trying to make the street I live on a historical landmark. Was the original street for the area when it was first developed. I hope it goes through.  Makes my property even more valuable.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The guy can now milk the system big time.

He needs to restore the park to it's original condition, big bucks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Balzac72, why do you care what the City of Los Angeles does? You have enough to worry about in your own state.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Balzac72, why do you care what the City of Los Angeles does? You have enough to worry about in your own state.
View Quote

After this last election, I'm worrying less and less.  But its always fun to point out how bass ackwards CA is in relation to the rest of the normal world.  I hope someone does a study one day of the effect of smog on brain cells.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
As much as I smirk at the idiotic antics of Kalifornistanians, New York isn't exactly a shining beacon of intellectual might.  I mean, New Yorkers DID elect Hitlery Klinton.  Your version of "Republicans" are slightly left of Lenin, as well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope they put in a scenic bypass!!  I'm going to suggest Jerry Springer do a show there.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Tonight while I was browsing DU, I saw a thread where this guy was all giddy because he got a 3-month assignment in San Francisco. And then this other moron from Boston chimed in saying yeah, you'll love it here. blah blah blah.

The fact is this place is a magnet for liberals.

You guys should be thanking us for taking in all your liberals, instead of criticizing us who are here trying to get by.

This is the first time since 1888 that the democrats held all the executive offices in CA. Add to that their control of both the state senate and assembly, and this will prove to be an interesting decade.

I think we are in for the most difficult fight since our statehood.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Mattja and Big Bear ...PREACH ON BROTHERS

this kalif bash shit is really F**KING OLD

would the kalif basher crew please come up with NEW phrases, the usual "hope it breaks off" stuff is really friggin BORING. you guys should try and think of something ORIGINAL
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
are there twisters in Califucknia?
View Quote

Actually, yeah, there are. A couple of years ago one was seen near Santa Rosa, and west where I am, a few years earlier one took out a tree right down the street from me.

this kalif bash shit is really F**KING OLD

would the kalif basher crew please come up with NEW phrases, the usual "hope it breaks off" stuff is really friggin BORING. you guys should try and think of something ORIGINAL  
View Quote

This is where the sun looks down, gets depressed and goes away. The dirt looks up, sees who it's is holding up and tries to shake them off. The fearless leaders know that to the south is a third world country with lots of potential voters, to the west is water, to the east is mountains and desert, and to the north is rain and snow. So they tax everybody who is dumb enough to stay here, pay off the ones who come here and vote for them, spend more than they have left, and blame the people who manage to still have some.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]
NOW THATS MORE LIKE IT [:D]

A+ for creativity.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey that trailer park thing was good,kinda like the last drive-in movies!   Just too good to let pass on.

If they could have found a way to build on the LA tar pits they would have done it!

What about Bobs Big Boy!  Gone and lost forever?

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmmmmmm - Bobs Big Boy Combo.... With a spaghetti and chili on the side...

I used to hang out at Bob's #1 in Glendale, CA.

GONE NOW... But 25 yrs ago, it was cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top