BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#1]
nice hit
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, just talking out my ass here, but I think it would be cool to see the A-10 in a maritime patrol op. 30mm gun would be great for taking out small boats, and you could load it up with a mix of Hellfire and Harpoon missiles, or maybe even the Penguin.

What else can you hang off a P-3 besides a Harpoon? Those things have great loiter times. I guess I'll have to look up the payload on the new P-8 as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We're paying for it.  We have skin in the game.

Stupid fucking wastes of money are still stupid.

TXL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good when you want to go out there OP and fight the enemy I'll remember to tell you why I couldn't call in CAS for you when your position is being overrun.

When you actually have some skin in the game come back to us.

We're paying for it.  We have skin in the game.

Stupid fucking wastes of money are still stupid.

TXL

I guess we could just park all of our Air Force on the ramps and Navy at the piers and only take them out in case of emergency.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Obviously. How would you hit a moving target reliably with a jdam ?  You need some laser guidance there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As pointed out the title of the article is "The Air Force blew up this tiny ‘pirate boat’ with a 2,000-pound smart bomb, because America"  the article states a GBU-10 was used

Obviously. How would you hit a moving target reliably with a jdam ?  You need some laser guidance there.

If only there were a dual mode JDAM...
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Waste of money. Let the navy shoot them with their new rail...I mean mini gun thingy.
View Quote

CIWS is a last ditch weapon.

You don't want them getting that close.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Which one of you guys wrote this comment:

nihonsean

[/span]

[span style='COLOR: #0066cc; TEXT-DECORATION: underline'] [/span]

[span style='COLOR: #0066cc; TEXT-DECORATION: underline'] [/span]

[span]Max,

Since you're BAD at this reporting thing I'm going to give you some free advice.

1. Don't be Lazy.  

2. Dial back the snide.

3. Trying using The Google to check simple facts, like what kind of bomb you're writing about. In this case you make much-a-do about THE WRONG BOMB. A simple google search would have told you that this is a GBU-24 (the distinctive tail fins give it away).

4. Ask questions. In this case a good question would be "Why is this bomb BLUE?" Blue = inert/safe.  

5. Analyze the facts for the reader: Why is this happening? What does this mean? You offer us tidbits, such as "prepping for use in the Persian Gulf" but then drop it.  

Hope this helps. If not, I'm sure you can put that master's degree to use at Starbucks.[/span] style=

[span]· [/span]

[span]· [/span][span] · [/span][span] ·

That was awesome![/span]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Any reason why a kinetic weapon wouldn't work just as fucking well....

It's a boat. Put a hole in it and water fills that hole for you...
View Quote

You'd be surprised. It's very tough to actually sink a small boat. Boston Whalers, Rigid Hull Inflatables Boats, etc. often have some sort of bouyant material to assist in keeping them afloat.

By the way, how much does a small boat, a motor, two guys, and an RPG cost? About $20k? That's probably a fair assessment. Expending a $23,000 weapon on it isn't a bad exchange.

The whole Somali pirate boat thing is wrong. It's about swarms of Iranian small boats attacking US Navy ships or oil tankers in the Straits of Hormuz. How much are you willing to spend to defend a $1 billion destroyer, a $10 billion carrier, or a very large crude carrier? How much will the cost of a barrel of oil rise in reaction to a successful attack? How much will that cost?

The weapons employment is only a small piece of the puzzle. By the way, the Navy trains its F/A-18 pilots to employ similar weapons against the same targets. The real question is how to integrate the USAF assets with the Navy assets performing this mission.

The Army is doing the same thing, by the way. They're operating AH-64s off of USN ships. What do you think their target set is? Hint: it's the same.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130905/NEWS/309050004/Army-helicopters-fly-from-Navy-ships-test-joint-ops
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#8]
When you absolutely need to destroy the target AND, their ancestors, buy American.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, just talking out my ass here, but I think it would be cool to see the A-10 in a maritime patrol op. 30mm gun would be great for taking out small boats, and you could load it up with a mix of Hellfire and Harpoon missiles, or maybe even the Penguin.

What else can you hang off a P-3 besides a Harpoon? Those things have great loiter times. I guess I'll have to look up the payload on the new P-8 as well.
View Quote

For reasons I won't get into here, there are problems with just about everything you typed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the pay is good I'll take my cargo pants on a cargo ship with a rifle
View Quote

I would wear some sweat pants and a T-Shirt that says "I Heart Piracy..."with a bullet hole in the center.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Wouldn't it have been easier to just drop a bunch of cinder blocks?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good when you want to go out there OP and fight the enemy I'll remember to tell you why I couldn't call in CAS for you when your position is being overrun.

View Quote

You start hanging pirates from the railing of cargo ships and swatting the fuckers with large caliber bullets and the occasional RPG the problems will go away in a year or so.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You'd be surprised. It's very tough to actually sink a small boat. Boston Whalers, Rigid Hull Inflatables Boats, etc. often have some sort of bouyant material to assist in keeping them afloat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, even a homebuilt cuban chug can be a bitch to sink. I've seen a dhow soak up a ton of ammo before sinking too. I had a 70ft fishing boat with a 1ft by 12ft cracking sink out from under me. It stayed at the surface for almost 6 hours before finally breaking up and sinking completely

boats that are a hazard to navigate are usually are easier to sink with a few gallons of diesel and the night end of a mk124 than by shooting them, even with apit or heit
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it have been easier to just drop a bunch of cinder blocks?
View Quote

that's about all they did anyway

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you even Q Ship?

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fucking masterpiece.  
View All Quotes

<golf clap>

As to the OP, I take great comfort knowing that our military has the capability and the skill to drop a 2000lb bomb on a small moving target, and if dropping a cinder block on a motorboat every now and then is required to prove out and maintain that skill then so be it.  I look at it like this - I don't have a problem with Marines firing thousands of rounds of live ammunition during training if it translates to better combat readiness.  Why should our bombers be any different?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Dammit, that looks like a Boston Whaler Guardian. Knowing the government, it's probably one of the rarer Dive Master models.

I would have traded them my 1974 Whaler hull for that...
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trust me I'm actually a huge AF booster, but I can see the argument that groundpounders such as Sylvan promote. Which is that we are flying the wings off of extremely expensive and difficult to replace aircraft to do a relatively simple mission relatively poorly.

This capability on an F-16 makes more sense, doing it from a LAAR makes even more sense.

It seems at times that the Air Force has a sense of budget entitlement, and its led to the problematic development of recent aircraft purchases, which in total has led to a decline in the reach and scope of American airpower. Which is why we are replacin 1000+ f-15's with 187 f-22's, and 3000+ f-16's with a couple hundred f-35's.

The B-1 fleet is only about a hundred aircraft, and spares are in very VERY short supply, so its a fleet extremely vulnerable to fatigue obselesance (again cus there are extremely few spares). We MAY get a Next Gen bomber program which produces an aircraft as capable as the B-1 however that aircraft will likely be much more expensive, and we will likely get far fewer of them. So blowing our wad and flying the b-1's into the dirt, only to replace them with 20 or 30 next gen bombers at an unforeseen time in the future... that doesn't help us if we ever have to fight an existential conflict with a modern peer force while all the b-1's are sitting around unflightworthy from high hours racked up killing goatherders.

I love the Air Force, but goddamnit they have got to get better at resource management.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

For reasons I won't get into here, there are problems with just about everything you typed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Trust me I'm actually a huge AF booster, but I can see the argument that groundpounders such as Sylvan promote. Which is that we are flying the wings off of extremely expensive and difficult to replace aircraft to do a relatively simple mission relatively poorly.

This capability on an F-16 makes more sense, doing it from a LAAR makes even more sense.
View Quote

When you talk about doing this work in the Gulf I agree.  It's when you expand the discussion to the Pacific Rim those airframes may not be the right choice.  This may well be one of those "get both" capabilities since it looks like more of a training and doctrine fix rather than hardware.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This may well be one of those "get both" capabilities since it looks like more of a training and doctrine fix rather than hardware.
View Quote

Yes!
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Fucking masterpiece.  
View All Quotes
Yes, yes it is.

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#25]
If you don't approve of that....this might get you going.

From another site:

Hann Powerboats was recently awarded a fourteen boat contract with the United States Air Force to build towable target vessels. The requirement for these boats is that they must be able to track straight while being towed at an average of 35 knots and this is the primary reason why they chose the Hann 28'. There were a total of 30 other companies bidding on this contract to give you an idea of the level of competition involved and just how many boats the Hann 28' edged out.

This hull was derived from the 28' Cigarette with a few changes made to the hull bottom and a completely new deck layout. This boat features an 8.5' beam with a 24 degree deadrise making it a very offshore capable platform and at the same time very efficient. We will be building a recreational demo model in the near future with most likely twin 225hp motors mounted on an Armstrong bracket. This boat will be available with numerous console options as well as up to three live wells and is built on a semi-custom basis.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And he enjoyed it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is pleased.

http://i.imgur.com/FLgvZOx.jpg
http://

I have no idea who that dude is in the pic. But that sig line is THE BEST I've ever seen!

Air Force General Curtis E. LeMay - Father of the SAC.

Lemay killed more people than any other General in US military history

And he enjoyed it.

And so did we.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Download the picture to your computer and look at it really close. You can see the pixilated cut lines in the middle of the boat around the cockpit, and around the tail section of the missile. This is 100% fake/fail
View Quote
I am having trouble reconciling a camera that would smudge the slow moving spray and water due to motion yet crisply capture a bomb dropped from what, a couple thousand feet at least?

The bomb should be a smudge, and the water should be crisp.  Or they should both be crisp.

That image is a fake. Maybe they do drop bombs, and maybe the SECOND image is real, but the one with the bomb in flight is a fraud.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And he enjoyed it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He is pleased.

http://i.imgur.com/FLgvZOx.jpg
http://

I have no idea who that dude is in the pic. But that sig line is THE BEST I've ever seen!

Air Force General Curtis E. LeMay - Father of the SAC.

Lemay killed more people than any other General in US military history

And he enjoyed it.

Amen.

If there is one general produced by WWII who truly "Got it" about the future of Warfare, it was Lemay.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am having trouble reconciling a camera that would smudge the slow moving spray and water due to motion yet crisply capture a bomb dropped from what, a couple thousand feet at least?  

The bomb should be a smudge, and the water should be crisp.  Or they should both be crisp.

That image is a fake. Maybe they do drop bombs, and maybe the SECOND image is real, but the one with the bomb in flight is a fraud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Download the picture to your computer and look at it really close. You can see the pixilated cut lines in the middle of the boat around the cockpit, and around the tail section of the missile. This is 100% fake/fail

I dont see a whole lot of crispness anywhere in that pic. Considering it was probably taken from a considerable distance to the target and involves a fair amount of zoom, that would explain that. It is also probably a still taken from video. I say its real.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#30]
There is another video link after you watch the one with the PMCs that if you click on the video shows a crew of Russians sailors on a freigter taking turns on old SKSs popping rounds off at the Somali Pirates at least 200 or 300 meters away, so far that they are just blips in the video. I think maybe one of the guys in the video are actually part of the security detachment, the rest are just breaking the boredom of the time between shifts, meals, and getting blind drunk. Russian equivalent of "Hey Boris...hold my vodka and watch this..." They are reloading out of  potato sack full of ammo and not a stripper clip, mag, or AK in sight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me where that thing sank? A 2,000 pound piece of concrete and a little boat would make a hell of a reef to fish and by the looks of the picture its in kayaking distance!

Side note here, I live right up against Eglin AFB and lately Ive been seeing some 20ft or so center console fishing boats with some sort of reflectors on them. I was told they were taking them out in the Gulf for target practice but not sure if its Navy or the AF.
View Quote

In for the "ask a guy in a Kyak on a bombing range anything" thread.

The ultimate tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#32]
This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

By the way, how much does a small boat, a motor, two guys, and an RPG cost? About $20k? That's probably a fair assessment. Expending a $23,000 weapon on it isn't a bad exchange.

The whole Somali pirate boat thing is wrong. It's about swarms of Iranian small boats attacking US Navy ships or oil tankers in the Straits of Hormuz. How much are you willing to spend to defend a $1 billion destroyer, a $10 billion carrier, or a very large crude carrier? How much will the cost of a barrel of oil rise in reaction to a successful attack? How much will that cost?

The weapons employment is only a small piece of the puzzle. By the way, the Navy trains its F/A-18 pilots to employ similar weapons against the same targets. The real question is how to integrate the USAF assets with the Navy assets performing this mission.

The Army is doing the same thing, by the way. They're operating AH-64s off of USN ships. What do you think their target set is? Hint: it's the same.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130905/NEWS/309050004/Army-helicopters-fly-from-Navy-ships-test-joint-ops
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole cost-of-weapon versus cost-of-target thing is retarded anyway, with regard to first-world versus second/third-world conflicts. Of course their weapons are cheap... THEY ARE FUCKING POOR!

Considering this cost me as a taxpayer... Basically nothing... I ain't bitching.

Hell, those pics were worth my investment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thus proving that people on the internet just can't tell if pictures are fake or not.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ALLOW ships to arm themselves.

problem solved.

SHIT, I wish people would recognize INDIVIDUAL freedom works.  The only problem with piracy is the fact that many jurisdictions ONLY allow criminals to have guns.

View Quote

Q, individual freedom? That's dead. Not even here on ARFCOM can you get folks to agree on IF.

Everybody wants the .gov to restrict and/or ban what they don't like while leaving themselves and their preferences alone. Or even better being sponsored by tax payer money.

We're sooooo f***ed.

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Listening to, and more importantly, believing the media, is like listening to and believing a toddler explain quantum physics......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As pointed out the title of the article is "The Air Force blew up this tiny ‘pirate boat’ with a 2,000-pound smart bomb, because America"  the article states a GBU-10 was used

Listening to, and more importantly, believing the media, is like listening to and believing a toddler explain quantum physics......

+1

My apologies in advance. I'd like to steal this from you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. Let's hope the Iranians are watching...

Since you're one of the naval 'experts' here on ARFCOM, what do you think about an A10 type airplane for small boat strafing? Perhaps with HE ammo?

Thank you for your input. :)

Ooopsie. Disregard. Asked and answered already.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When you talk about doing this work in the Gulf I agree.  It's when you expand the discussion to the Pacific Rim those airframes may not be the right choice.  This may well be one of those "get both" capabilities since it looks like more of a training and doctrine fix rather than hardware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

D
O
T
M
L
P
F
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't see the outrage.    Are they never supposed to test anything?

If they were doing this shit every day I'd complain but it doesn't look like that's the case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Would the bomb even need to explode to be effective?  What if we put a smart bomb kit on a 2,000 pound chunk of concrete?
View Quote

If that's a legit photo, there's a very good chance that's what actually happened.

Blue-painted round = inert.  Often filled with sand, concrete or other ballast to simulate flight characteristics.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If they were doing this shit every day I'd complain but it doesn't look like that's the case.
View Quote

Live fires are relatively rare.  Most of the time, you know the answer (will it work?) before you go to live fire.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Has no one else noticed that R2D2 is driving the boat?

Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Live fires are relatively rare.  Most of the time, you know the answer (will it work?) before you go to live fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can think of some live fires that were a waste of money...
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Has no one else noticed that R2D2 is driving the boat?

View Quote

What is all the churned up water ahead of the boat?  Is it being pulled and if so by a manned boat?  I sure would want a LOOOONG tether between the two boats.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Whats old is new again.

The AAF's first independent mission was coastal defense.

Explains Pearl Harbor, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I vote CBU's on the entire anchorage... one or two runs down the coast.

this is why they can't have nice things (like boats)  :)
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

are we really going to war mano a mano with china?
or, more likely, proxy wars and wars of exhaustion?

what good is this strategic deterrence if it doesn't deter?
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yes!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This may well be one of those "get both" capabilities since it looks like more of a training and doctrine fix rather than hardware.

Yes!

Its a justification exercise for Long Range Bomber that will brief really well, but, if push comes to shove, won't be available on the ATO.

CAS is an inefficient use of airpower.

this is a fundamental truth of the AF whether its on land or sea
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top