Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2002 3:23:11 PM EDT
I overheard a guy from the local law enforcement Rapid Tactical Response Team (RTRT)that it is illegal for civilians to carry concealed handcuff keys. Is this true?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
... Not in AZ but anything is possible there.
It would get thrown out of court.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing more than suggestive BS by someone who no longer considers themselves an equal to the common citizen, but above the law.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess the handcuff key disguised as a pen is gonna be more popular now.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
THat is some funny shit!

You are only allowed to carry handcuffs keys iff they are PRE-BAN. They also must not have more than 2 of the "evil features". God knows those handcuff keys are dangerous shit.

(insert sarcastic chuckle here)
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
no its not illeagle
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#6]
If so, that's gonna make it difficult to remove my wife's restraints and ball-gag.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't carry one into a courthouse in Californistan, but I'm not aware of any law generally prohibiting them.

You can't carry one into a prison when you're visiting your junkie musician so-called friend who ripped you off and then got busted for robbing childrens' ice cream stores.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
It is [b]not[/b] illegal to have the keys, but it [b]is[/b] illegal to use them to resist arrest.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Not in Florida propper.
[url]http://election.dos.state.fl.us/laws/00laws/ch_2000-230.pdf[/url]
But it is in some municipalities, and here's why;
[url]http://tampabayonline.net/reports/shooting/video.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
we all know the plastic cuff keys are illegal... cause they can go thru metal detectors.. [whacko]...
wow.. I feel safer already.

Ban handcuffs !!!

do it for me cause they always hurt when I get arrested for peeing beside the 7-11 ...
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell,

I wouldn't even THINK about dating without one...

Ooops!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like it is in Tampa, Florida; probably other places as well.

[url]http://tampabayonline.net/reports/shooting/catalyst.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh bull... I carry one on my key chain and one taped to the rear inside of my belt (along with a razor blade) and both were given to me by a LE friend.
 Now, if you get hooked up and try to play funny man and unlock yourself, that is resisting arrest.

edited to reflect: Wow, never heard that about Tampa.

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#14]
It is not illegal to possess in Florida as long as you declare it if placed in custody.  Follow link:

[url]http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=CH0843/Sec021.HTM[/url]

)  Any person who possesses a concealed handcuff key commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3)  It is a defense to a charge of violating this section that, immediately upon being placed in custody, the person in custody actually and effectively disclosed to the law enforcement officer that he or she was in possession of a concealed handcuff key.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Where did this "third degree" felony bullshit come from?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The reason it is in Tampa, several years ago a peice of trash used a concealed key, removed his cuffs and was able to get a detective's pistol.  He killed two detectives and ate a bullet.  Tampa PD is kinda touchy about the subject now.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#17]
So basically, if you get busted for public intox, and forget in your drunken stupor to announce you have a key, you get popped with a FELONY? wtf?

If I lost the RKBA for that, I would be pissed.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#18]
It should be... Civilians have not [i]earned[/i] the right to have handcuff-keys [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is [b]not[/b] illegal to have the keys, but it [b]is[/b] illegal to use them to resist arrest.
View Quote

You are correct-- but its also illegal to shoot at them, etc.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The reason it is in Tampa, several years ago a peice of trash used a concealed key, removed his cuffs and was able to get a detective's pistol.  He killed two detectives and ate a bullet.  Tampa PD is kinda touchy about the subject now.
View Quote

Aren't cops trained to SEARCH YOU when they cuff you????? Sounds like they failed to follow procedures.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#21]
You do not need a handcuff key. Only the police need handcuff keys. And asking a question like that is very suspicious, so you better show me your papers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You do not need a handcuff key. Only the police need handcuff keys.
View Quote

hmmmmmmm.....replace "handcuff key(s)" with "firearm(s)" and you sound just like Brady or Finestein.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So basically, if you get busted for public intox, and forget in your drunken stupor to announce you have a key, you get popped with a FELONY? wtf? [red] yes, you could be[/red]

If I lost the RKBA for that, I would be pissed.[red]yeah, I would be too[/red]
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh bull... I carry one on my key chain and one taped to the rear inside of my belt (along with a razor blade) and both...
View Quote

... are friggin pointless, 'cause amongst the things you will not be allowed to keep are your belt and your shoe laces.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Buy a pair of handcuffs. (less than $30).

Get a "preban" paper-clip-- practice opening the lock. I used to be good at this...

Conceal Carry paper-clips.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I had a handcuff key on my key chain for years, didn't even think about it after a while. Back in 1999 I was going through the metal detector on my fifth day of jury duty, when one very sharp guard happened to notice it when I was putting my keys back into my pocket. He asked me if I was a cop, to which I replied "nope" and then he asked my to surrender the key to be held in a security locker until I was ready to leave the building.
When I was leaving I saw the guard again and asked for my key which was promptly returned. The guard then spoke to me about the potential danger to the people who work in the courtroom if a convict or someone awaiting sentencing was to get a hold of the key. I told him thanks and, by the way I was able to get this past your security for the past four days, without anyone saying anything. He just shook his head in a mix of disgust and disbelief.

JerrY
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I overheard a guy from the local law enforcement Rapid Tactical Response Team (RTRT)that it is illegal for civilians to carry concealed handcuff keys. Is this true?
View Quote

Sounds like he should stick to kicking in doors because he doesn't know crap about law.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If so, that's gonna make it difficult to remove my wife's restraints and ball-gag.
View Quote

i think its illegal to free your wife ;)
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Sounds like he should stick to kicking in doors because he doesn't know crap about law.  
View Quote

Yep.  Same here in NC.  I don't have [b]a[/b] handcuff key because my LE friend gave me [b]two[/b] of them and told me to put them on my keyring.

J

Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#30]
LOL, I've carried a hand-cuff key on my keyring for almost 20 years now. Started when I was working as a part time security guard while finishing college.

One time it really helped me out of a jam too. This was when I was young, crazy, and stupid but I got into a drunken brawl at a local bar and ended up getting arrested. While handcuffed in the back seat of the police car going down-town I realized I had some nose candy hidden in a front pocket that the cops had not found but I knew they would find it downtown with the strip-search. I couldn't reach it with my hands cuffed behind me but I had my keys in front pcoekt and I managed to get them and then use the handcuff key to release the cuffs. I then got my nose candy and snorted it up and ate the paper that was housing it. It was an small amount but would have ruined my life if the cops had found it on me. I then put my keys back in my pocket and put the cuffs back on. LOL. I can see why cops don't want regular people to have handcuff keys, but I'll always have one on me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#31]
In some parts of Florida (FloriDUH!) it is illegal to carry a hidden handcuff key in public. A handcuff key on your key ring is not considered hidden. A handcuff key taped in the back of the waistband of your jeans is hidden.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I've never owned a handcuff key, but now I think I'll order a case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top