Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy!!  

rambo
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a huge fan of Swiss made weapons. Wanted a 550 series rifle since forever but could not get over the price. I was very happy when they said they would be making a US made version. Was disappointed with the first model 556, it was not a traditional 550 series! Then the classic came out and I went right down to my LGS to see one. I was less than impressed, then all the QC problems. I gave up and decided to just save up a buy a SAN SIG, my 551-2sp SWAT will arrive at my LGS tomorrow

I have no faith in Sig-Sauer
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should I buy a SIG 551A1 or pass?
View Quote

Looks like that portion of the line will be redesigned (btw, why was that dude going off on me? I'm not SIG) for 2014.  I'm hearing this will be a 6 month time period with NO 55X rifles being made with the exception of the 556R (coincidentally enough).  The 551-A1 will survive in some form.

I too would LOVE a REAL Swiss 55X. I cannot justify that expense however. I'm sorta jealous of those who can (in a good way).
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking about buying a 556R - glad I saw this thread!

Sounds like Colt discontinued their 7.62x39mm for the same reason.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It does not surprise me if they did. The black rifle market is all about the AR platform.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

yeah ok.

hey hows that hunt for 5.56 going?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

PLEASE!!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully, they'll come out with a version that duplicates the Swiss issue infantry rifle with a 20 in barrel.

Sig really fucked the dog with their product line.  There was so much eager anticipation for their newly-released rifle ("because it's time"), and then they offered what had to be the ugliest POS to ever wear an M4 type buttstock.

The later version that became the "classic" sucked as much as the first one.

The 551A1 came the closest, but why Sig didn't just stick to the original Swiss Army standard configuration to begin with is beyond me.

Stupid.

If they release a semi-auto Stg 90 like the old pre-import ban models (which are slightly expensive), I'll spend the flow for it in a heartbeat.

PLEASE!!!!!

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Where are these MAC videos?  My neighbor just bought a Gen 2, 556R for his wife.  Also, any info you guys can share about upgrade parts for it is appreciated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
apparently theyre re-doing everything for 2014...so it most likely will be back along with those other rifles..

So the Sig 500 series rifles are not discontinued? I really wanted either a 556 or 551A1 but after reading reviews and seeing MAC's videos I changed my mind.

*Snip*

Where are these MAC videos?  My neighbor just bought a Gen 2, 556R for his wife.  Also, any info you guys can share about upgrade parts for it is appreciated.

Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrObcZb_CCI
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was thinking about buying a 556R - glad I saw this thread!

Sounds like Colt discontinued their 7.62x39mm for the same reason.  
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/Guns/ColtSporter-1.jpg
View Quote

It's not being discontinued.

It's still being produced. If anything they are going to update some things in the 556 line.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Picked one up when they were first released, was appalled at how nose-heavy it was, put it back down.
View Quote

For me it was the reach to the safety (I'm a lefty) and the stock and folder just felt cheap. My impression at the time was me wondering how they could have screwed it up that bad, the thing felt like a toy....
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
apparently theyre re-doing everything for 2014...so it most likely will be back along with those other rifles..

So the Sig 500 series rifles are not discontinued? I really wanted either a 556 or 551A1 but after reading reviews and seeing MAC's videos I changed my mind.

*Snip*

Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrObcZb_CCI

I wish they'd do an updated video with the 556R Gen 2.  

That video was shot in 2011 and SIG has implemented a lot of changes since then.

YES, it sucks HARD that the first implementers got screwed (well, not really, they can send their rifles back to SIG and SIG will fix it) and SIG should be (and was) excoriated for it.

OTOH, shouldn't we also be applauding them for correcting the issues (both with the shitty 1st Gens and by introducing a new Gen that corrects the issues up front)?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hopefully, they'll come out with a version that duplicates the Swiss issue infantry rifle with a 20 in barrel.

Sig really fucked the dog with their product line.  There was so much eager anticipation for their newly-released rifle ("because it's time"), and then they offered what had to be the ugliest POS to ever wear an M4 type buttstock.

The later version that became the "classic" sucked as much as the first one.

The 551A1 came the closest, but why Sig didn't just stick to the original Swiss Army standard configuration to begin with is beyond me.

Stupid.

If they release a semi-auto Stg 90 like the old pre-import ban models (which are slightly expensive), I'll spend the flow for it in a heartbeat.
View Quote

They can't do a 551 without hitting NFA restrictions, so the 551A1 was close enough being extended to 16". I'd rather have than than a 21" 550. They just need to make the lower look like the real 550/1/3. I would get one myself if I had the money.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I think they should give us the 540 series rifles that our Canadian brothers can get.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top