Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2002 9:34:02 AM EDT
That the Democrats have taken twice!

We really need to spin the fact that the '94 law cost the democrats congress in '94, and that the possibility that it might be reenacted in '04 is what cost them Congress is '02.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#1]
[b][red][size=6]
WRITE YOUR GOVERNMENT!!!!!
REPEAL THE BAN NOW!!!!![/size=6][/red][/b]

Scott

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Let's go after the '86 Lautenberg ban as well.  If that one goes down, who the fuck cares about so-called AWs?  We'll all have the real thing instead.  Then it's just a question of cheaper mags...
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Ain't going to happen.

If there were 75 Republicans in the Senate and 450 in the House, you MIGHT see some action.

Until that time, we can only stem the GC tide.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We really need to spin the fact that the '94 law cost the democrats congress in '94, and that the possibility that it might be reenacted in '04 is what cost them Congress is '02.
View Quote

Good point.  When we are campaigning against the AW ban renewal, we need to contact wavering Democrat officeholders and ask them if they want to cement their minority status into permanence.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even if they renacted the bad in 2004 it will not cost them the Congress.......they don't have it [size=6]BWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWWAWAWAW![/size=6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The only thing I think is going to happen is the ban is going to sunset. They will use some excuse like its tied up in a commitee or something. That way Bush wont get in trouble for signing it and the  Republicans wont get thier asses kicked in congress.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
sixgun357,

You are right on point!!! Avoiding the issue is the safest course of action for Dems and Republicans.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
It may be the safeist route BUT it is still far from certain that the Republicans would loose if they voted for a repeal.

They came close a couple times in the Clinton years.

Its really all in how the repeal is crafted. How it is packaged and sold.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It may be the safeist route BUT it is still far from certain that the Republicans would loose if they voted for a repeal.

They came close a couple times in the Clinton years.

Its really all in how the repeal is crafted. How it is packaged and sold.
View Quote

Could someone please give more info about the "couple times" that republicans attempted an AWB repeal in the clinton years?  (i.e. date, vote count, features of the bill, etc.)

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The republican house voted to repeal the AW ban on March 22, 1996.  The Senate did not follow suit, and Clinton said he would have vetoed it anyway.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
It isn't worth the political wrangling it would take to bring it to a vote. With the expiration less than 2 years away, it will be ignored for bigger issues. If it's going to go away, it will die the natural death that is written into the law.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The answer is:

Good Judges, Good Judges, and Good Judges.

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#13]
With the republicans controling both houses I think AT WORST, we will have a window in which we can assemble new prebans, but I am very optimistic that it will go away all together, I had my fingers crossed yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is how it will go down...

Repubs won't even schedule it for discussion on the Senate or House floor.

Feinstein and Schumer will begin to FUME around august 2004 about this. Repubs will allow them to fume, and run the remainder of their party through the mud (By all remaining Demonrats becoming guilty by association...) They might allow it to be discussed, but not voted on. (There will be something like medicare to discuss...)

Repubs will spin it as, "America, the demonrats want your guns, and don't want to work on prescription cost relief!!!"

NRA will FRY all demonrats for looking to support another ban. AARP will fry the demonrats for not helping with prescription drug care. SURPRISE! Elections are 2 months away from the expiration date of the AWB!!! ALL demonrats lose their elections, Legislative branch goes 100% repub. SCOTUS gets filled with a few new superconservatives during GWB's 2nd term...

...2nd amendment gets reinstated.

...Betamags become 5 for $20

...Crime drops to an all-time low...

...Sarah Brady continues to manipulate the truth...

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd say it is better to let sleeping dogs lie on this one.  Remember, the 86 MG ban was actually supposed to be a [i]good[/i] thing for gun owners (and it mostly was, getting rid of some of the more idiotic things in the 1968 GCA), but the filthy dems (was it lautenberg?) snuck the MG ban in at the 11th hour.  Something similar could happen if they attempt to create new legislation to repeal the 94 crime bill now - something like declaring all .50 bmg guns DD's or something.  Better to just wait it out and let it die...

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd say it is better to let sleeping dogs lie on this one.  Remember, the 86 MG ban was actually supposed to be a [i]good[/i] thing for gun owners (and it mostly was, getting rid of some of the more idiotic things in the 1968 GCA), but the filthy dems (was it lautenberg?) snuck the MG ban in at the 11th hour.  Something similar could happen if they attempt to create new legislation to repeal the 94 crime bill now - something like declaring all .50 bmg guns DD's or something.  Better to just wait it out and let it die...

Rocko
View Quote

That is a danger with any bill. They could put such a rider on the BUDGET if they wanted to!

But the people who control such things in the leadership of both Houses will not permit such a thing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]
[b][red][size=6]
WRITE YOUR SENATORS!!!!!
WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!!!!
WRITE BUSH!!!!!
WRITE CHENEY!!!!!
WRITE ASHCROFT!!!!!
HELL, WRITE YOUR GOVERNOR!!!!!

REPEAL THE UNCONSTITUTIONAL AWB NOW!!!!!

[/size=6][/red][/b]

Scott

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here is how it will go down...

Repubs won't even schedule it for discussion on the Senate or House floor.

Feinstein and Schumer will begin to FUME around august 2004 about this. Repubs will allow them to fume, and run the remainder of their party through the mud (By all remaining Demonrats becoming guilty by association...) They might allow it to be discussed, but not voted on. (There will be something like medicare to discuss...)

Repubs will spin it as, "America, the demonrats want your guns, and don't want to work on prescription cost relief!!!"

NRA will FRY all demonrats for looking to support another ban. AARP will fry the demonrats for not helping with prescription drug care. SURPRISE! Elections are 2 months away from the expiration date of the AWB!!! ALL demonrats lose their elections, Legislative branch goes 100% repub. SCOTUS gets filled with a few new superconservatives during GWB's 2nd term...

...2nd amendment gets reinstated.

...Betamags become 5 for $20

...Crime drops to an all-time low...

...Sarah Brady continues to manipulate the truth...

View Quote

I think you've got it almost right except that Sarah may be decomposing instead of manipulating. I mean, how long can she last with lung cancer when she still smokes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The answer is:

Good Judges, Good Judges, and Good Judges.

View Quote

Amen,

And good sentences
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top