Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2002 8:28:42 AM EDT
Ok here goes. One can always come up with what if? scenarios. Here's one that just popped in my head. I know everybody's sick and tired of our rights being compromised away over the years. Gunowners now are fond of sceaming " No more compromise!" Now I'm a GOA and NRA member and I want no more compromises, but... What would you say, if in 2004 before the AWB sunsets congress came up and said " We'll not come up with a new AWB and let Hi-cap mags and the "evil" features become legal again BUT in exchange we want .50 caliber rifles to fall under NFA". Owners would be given 30 days to register their .50's. Would you agree to it? I just thought I'd muddy the waters some. I say NO even though I don't own a .50. Who would give up .50"s? What if they said ban .50's totally for no new AWB?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Gee, let me think.
[red][size=6]NOT A CHANCE IN HELL[/size=6][/red]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#2]
How would you register a 50 cal upper as NFA?

Anyway, are you asking us if we would let them ban them or if we would hand them over?  I think it might be implausible for them to ban them since its impossible to track those uppers and register them, unless you're going to register the lower?  In that case, I'd buy 4 lowers with one 50 cal upper and sell 3 of the lowers as "50 cal preban approved."

In the meantime, I don't see how they can add 50's to the NFA now.  Are they really "destructive devices?"  Is there a connection between these guns and crimes?  But the short answer is that if they OUTRIGHT banned them, there's no way in hell I'd turn one in.  It'd definately be my "rainy day" gun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
What would I say?

Quoted:
What would you say, if in 2004 before the AWB sunsets congress came up and said " We'll not come up with a new AWB and let Hi-cap mags and the "evil" features become legal again ....
View Quote

I would say fine, it shouldn't have been in the first place.  I accept your apology.

BUT in exchange we want .50 caliber rifles to fall under NFA". Owners would be given 30 days to register their .50's.
View Quote

Fuck no.

[b][size=6]I MEAN FUCK NO[/size=6][/b]

Would you agree to it? [red]I just thought[/red] I'd make muddy the waters some. I say NO even though I don't own a .50. Who would give up .50"s? What if they said ban .50's totally for no new AWB?
View Quote

Stop thinking.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#4]
[b]Geeeeese, I'm savin up for a .50 now[/b]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Well Halfcocked, more of us should THINK more often. It would be a great way to divide us even more. The anti's are always trying to come up with ways to get to us. Hell the NRA's even done a pretty good job of pitting black rifle shooters against "sporting" arms shooters.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#6]
What part of "The right of the people to keep and bears arms shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

If you feed you firstborn to the wolf today, tommorow that wolf is going to be hungry again.  There is really only one way to deal effectively with the wolf, the 2nd Amnedment ensures that for you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh that would be a great idea, instead ban something that is involved in even less number of crimes. [rolleyes]

[b]Keep in mind, it's not compromise if it constantly goes in the same direction, it's just giving in little by little.[/b]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#8]
.50 cal? Why would they ban those, not many people own those, and I bet it's hard to get them if you're a criminal anyway, aren't they pretty expensive? If you wanted to kill somebody you could just use a handgun or an AR-15 etc.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Uh, no give up anything. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Being caught behind the lines in PRKonnecticut, a .50 is the only thing I can legally purchase right now (out of the two choices you mentioned). CT has its own AWB and it is permanent.

Please stop dreaming up these scenarios. The libs do a good enough job of it already.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Pardon my off-color language but

[size=6][red]FUCK NO![/red][/size=6]

When the Caliban demanded that we register our "assault weapons" I registered some so I could shoot in public and not feel threatened.  After what they did to the "late" registrants of '92 and the SKS Sporter owners I now know for sure the government's word is no good.  They CANNOT be trusted.

Never again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When the Caliban demanded that we register our "assault weapons" I registered some so I could shoot in public and not feel threatened.  After what they did to the "late" registrants of '92 and the SKS Sporter owners I now know for sure the government's word is no good.  They CANNOT be trusted.

Never again.
View Quote

What did they do to the late registrants?  I never heard about this.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Compromise is a luxury for people with no convictions(beliefs?).

or something like that.  I forget who said it.

and let me add:
[b][red][size=6]FUCK THAT[/size=6][/red][/b]

[B]BULLSHIT[/b] like that got us the MG manufacturing ban and you can thank the [b]NRA[/b] for it.

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Sound like a good idea.
Next we can pass a law that allAmericans have total freedom of speech on the weekends[rolleyes]

...don't work like that
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:...
What did they do to the late registrants?  I never heard about this.
View Quote

The original deadline to register Roberti-Roos AWs (e.g. Colt AR-15) was March 31, 1992.  Then Attorney General Dan Lungren (sp?) knew that non-compliance was a big issue, so he used his administrative authority to extend the deadline another 60 or 90 days.  During th extension about 1,500 people sent in their registration documents and checks.

Handgun Control, Inc. filed a lawsuit against the AG claiming that the extension was illegal, that the AG didn't have the authority to extend the deadline.  HCI won.  The state informed the late registrants that their registrations were invalid, and that they could get their fees refunded but would have to get rid of or destroy their firearms.

However the state hasn't done anything other than send nasty letters to those unfortunate individuals.  There might be an entrapment issue if they were charged with a criminal offense.  They acted in good faith when they registered, and the state sent them official confirmation that they were in compliance before the courts forced the state to change its position.

See [url]http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/lawsuit.shtml[/url] for more information.  It's not up to date but not much has happened in the last 10 years.  It's a stalemate.

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's a better proposal:  Get rid of the Lautenberg ban and let people register as many NFA firearms as they want.  The govt. will have their beloved registration list and we'll have all the FA guns we've ever dreamed of at realistic prices.  Think about it--who would buy a semi-auto AR if the full-auto ones were readily available and all you had to do was register (sorry for those living in states where NFA firearms are banned)?  The same should be true for silencers and SBRs (and is, more often than not unless you have a prick for a sheriff or live in Kali, NJ, Ill, NY, etc.).

I hate registration on principle, so don't get on me.  I think all types of guns should be obtainable without govt. red tape.  But if you're talking about compromises, let's really get something in the bargain and not just fritter away another class of firearms.  

Wayne LaPierre said months ago "now (meaning last year or two years ago) is not the time to try and go on the offensive."  Well, when would be a good time?  I think RIGHT NOW is as good as we're going to see it, so we'd better get going.

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#17]
NEXT TIME SOMETHING POPS IN YOUR HEAD,GO SEE A DOCTOR
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#18]
FUCK NO!!!! do not give them anything, I do not own a .50, but WTF are you even thinking about giving up any of your rights, if you give them anything they will be right back wanting something else, this time dig in and fight to the end, don't you understand what "FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS MEAN"  we have to stand  together on all this,
we have to hang together or we will hang separtely. we won a victory last night so now we start putting pressure on the republicans to just let the AWB go away ...Bluemax
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#19]
What if? no AWB but give up .50's
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Two words to all further "bans" "common sense laws" etc.

CIVIL DISOBEDIANCE!
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#21]
There is no reason to trade .50s for anything since there is no National initiative to ban .50 cal weapons.

Californias days as being a harbringer of national trends has ended. This election is the second one in a row to prove that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#22]
How ABout This?

Let's say I plan to  kill you.  Instead of just putting a bullet in your brain and killing you quickly, I choose to...say shoot you in the kneecap, then cut off your arm and just let you bleed to death instead?

In both hypothetical cases, you end up dead, the only difference being dead sooner rather than later.

I'll vote neither of the above. I'll vote to remove the force or forces that are a threat to our lives and freedom.

How about that?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope. I support ALL rkba. NOT  just my area of interest...

I hope the cowboy action shooters feel the same...
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sorry to say that I believe the majority of american gun owners would throw the .50 owners to the lions. Since it doesn't effect them they would accect it as a good deal. Personally as a .50 owner...HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
[b][size=6][red] NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER[/red][size=6][/b]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Can we get a group buy on the Barrett M99-1 or M95?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#27]
NO!!!  I MEAN HELL NO!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Why don"t you visit me in the People's Republic of New Jersey if you want to see the results of "compromise" like the one you suggest!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Leave it to some numbnuts with 1 post to insinuate that I suggested anything. I'm damned tired of the people that run so-called PRO gun groups accepting "compromises" on our rights. I am a NRA life member and a member of GOA. I've voted against the current NRA leadership since they first appeared. The sad fact is that there are gunowners that would accept a .50 ban just as there are gunowners that think the AWB wasn't a bad idea. The thing that need to happen NOW is that our collective voices need to be heard now that we seem to have an advantage in Washington. We need to try to make all gunowners realize that none of their guns are safe from the forces that want to disarm this country and change us from citizens to subjects as they have in Great Britian. Now instead of getting pissed at me for "suggesting" what I did; go out and use that energy to make phone calls, write letters and let GW bush and the new controlling party know that we will NOT compromise any further! Now go out and win one for the Gipper! [soapbox] njesc, the closest I've been to Joisey was Philly and no thanks I'll stay where I am.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Being an owner of 3 .50s, I would hate to see them banned or registered as NFA items.  EVERYONE who has shot mine loves it.  Something everyone should try at least once.  Making them DDs would put them out of the realm of most people--some states do not permit them, the prices would go up trememdously, as the manufacturers would have to have a new license with higher fees, the guns would have to go to Class 3 guys instead of regular FFLs, etc.  

Kind of stupid for something that has not even been used in a crime.

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top