Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2013 10:51:43 PM EDT
every so often I see or read of Army and USMC off road motorcycles, who makes them and what is the back story on them?

Also what MOS gets to play with them?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, Back in the day.....(Height of Reagan), we haulled around Kawaski bikes.  There was a contract a few years ago where Buell had made some, and the local Harley Dealer was selling some of the Overruns.

In my time, they were 19D's, Armored Cavalry Scouts....

But, that was awhile ago....
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The USMC uses a Kawasaki. The gasoline engine is replaced with a diesel. Upwards of 100 mpg.        

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
ETA- this doesn't answer your question since they're for SO guys, but they're rad and should be available to other units

Zero!
2013 Zero MMX Military Motorcycle – Key Features

Specialized military dash for quick and centralized mainline controls
Keyless ignition engaged with dash toggle for quicker departure
Modular and quick-swappable power packs
Wet operational abilities in up to one meter submersion
Switchable headlight for night-time stealth
Integrated wiring to accommodate quick installation of front and rear infrared systems
Safety override and reserve power capabilities to extend range during extreme situations
Aggressive foot pegs and hand guards for optimal control
Tie down eyelets with integrated tow cable and rear seat strap

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ETA- this doesn't answer your question since they're for SO guys, but they're rad and should be available to other units

Zero!

Integrated wiring to accommodate quick installation of front and rear infrared systems
Safety override and reserve power capabilities to extend range during extreme situations

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/050713top-i2.jpg
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/050713middle.jpg
View Quote

62 miles max? What good is that?

http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/2013-zero-mmx-military-motorcycle.pdf
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Do want..
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#6]
KLR 650's?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The USMC uses a Kawasaki. The gasoline engine is replaced with a diesel. Upwards of 100 mpg.          
View Quote

100+ mpg? I'm intrigued...
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The bikes are worked over by a California defense contractor called Hayes Technologies. They do the engine swap, among other things. Bike is rated at 100 mpg. I can't say if the USMC is still using the converted KLR, but they were as of a few years ago.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zero!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/050713top-i2.jpg
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/050713middle.jpg

62 miles max? What good is that?

http://media.zeromotorcycles.com/resources/2013-zero-mmx-military-motorcycle.pdf

One pound battery that swaps in under a minute....I'd take the battery swap every 62 miles to ride in almost complete silence and through meter deep water.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to worry, it will never be sold to civilians.
The KLR engine is modified, not replaced.

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/

http://guerrantwebworks.com/hdt/
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I find it hard to believe a 1 lb battery carries machine and rider 62 miles cross country.  It would have to be crazy energy dense (more than gasoline)

Otherwise, load a few in your ruck sack and ride on!
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The Marines on Hawaii had 650's that were diesel.
I wouldn't mind having one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, Back in the day.....(Height of Reagan), we haulled around Kawaski bikes.  There was a contract a few years ago where Buell had made some, and the local Harley Dealer was selling some of the Overruns.

View Quote

We had one at the dealership in 98-99. It was powered by a Rotax (Bombardier) engine. IIRC, those were a NATO model, not specifically U.S.  Damn thing was priced at $12,000.00.  Finally sold it to another dealer in a multi-bike deal, just to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Also 11B (Pathfinders).  Very common when I was 1/502nd Inf.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Given that motorcycles generally rev high and diesels generally rev low, is the transmission replaced too?

Or is this motorcycle diesel capable of higher RPMs than a traditional diesel like those found in say a Superduty?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The bikes are worked over by a California defense contractor called Hayes Technologies. They do the engine swap, among other things. Bike is rated at 100 mpg. I can't say if the USMC is still using the converted KLR, but they were as of a few years ago.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen the KLR's back in 06-07? I have no idea what is current, although with the way the Corps works, they're lucky they aren't using hand me down Army Harleys from WW2.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:19:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's the mill spec one that a soil had on display at bike week a couple of years ago.

And my homage to that bike.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#18]
whilst I was stationed at Ft Hood in the late 70's, there was a testing agency that did company level tactical
expirments with proposed equipment; that's where the Hummer came out of.

Anyway, one of the things they tried was using MC's for armored cav units; each platoon leader of a tank
company had one (on his tank) to use to get around while they were in a position of cover; my 1ST Sargent had one
with a trailer he was supposed to drag around & do his job with; he said the dam thing kept flipping over, so he
just shitcaned it. Never really saw them working in the field, just heard the stories.

the scouts had one mounted on a Huey that they'd deploy after being flown into an AO: it was on a C-channel
shaped mount on the sides (two per aircraft); again, never saw them working, only pics.

I DID see a lot of the prototypes of the Hummer; they used to haul ass around the training area while we were out
playing in the woods
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#19]
We had Honda 250s back in the early '80s at HAAF
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

And I have seen them used exactly once, in the entire 20 years I was in. Every Infantry Battalion I was with had some, and all they did was sit i9n the motor pool and rot.

The one time I saw them used was 2004, when we sent a few dudes from every company to motorcycle school. Then, they just sat.

MT chiefs hated them because they had to be maintained, and BN Commanders refused to use them because guys could get hurt on them.

Plus, with radios and internet in the field now-a-days, motorcycle couriers really don't make sense.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We had Honda 250s back in the early '80s at HAAF
View Quote

Saw some 2d Bat guys tooling around in a training area at Ft Lewis during the same time frame.  Didn't get a good look at the bikes, but they could have been Honda 250s.

Sometime in the '90s I saw some pictures in Army Times of a bike being transported on a Blackhawk.  The thing that caught my eye was that the unit involved was the first unit I was ever assigned to, the 1/17th CAV.  The bikes were being used by members of the Aero Rifle Platoons, who were 11Bs when I was doing it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I got two sitting in my yard that I am currently working on
They are the M1030M1 series I believe

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#23]
The Rangers used to have them. I don't know if they still do, but my old squad leader was in one of the Bats, and he mentioned them a few times.

ETA) Looks like this has been covered.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I would have to see if I can find the article, but there was a Marine during OIF 1 who rode a KLR from the Kuwait board to Baghdad as a scout
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would have to see if I can find the article, but there was a Marine during OIF 1 who rode a KLR from the Kuwait board to Baghdad as a scout
View Quote

I would love to see that article if you can find it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got two sitting in my yard that I am currently working on
They are the M1030M1 series I believe

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/jmuncyjr/20130829_131917_zps35dc139f.jpg
View Quote

Ohh...now I'm jealous...I had heard they very rarely show up on drmo...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Wasn't the M3 Bradley originally intended to carry two motorbikes on board for scout use?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I got to ride one once. Not one of ours though. This one belonged to the Japan Self Defense Force, on the island of Kyushu in 1987 during an exercise called Orient Shield.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#29]
In 2005 SDVT-1 had four KLR 650s (gas engined) in Fallujah. I did a little work on them (made a deal where I got to test drive them once I got them running). Fuckers wouldn't let me get a picture of me riding them but I did get to blast around Camp Fallujah on a KLR.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks pretty cool
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#31]
It's been years since I did the KLR thing, but IIRC Hays Engineering out of Hesperia, CA did the conversion.

It was not an engine swap- all they did was change the cylinder head (to gain compression) and replace the carb with fuel injection.  Everything else was stock KLR650.

There was a great demand in the KLR community for a DOT legal version.  When it was announced they would run about $20k a copy, demand waned.

Apparently EPA created brand new hoops to jump thru in order to prevent a diesel motorbike on America's highways... for the children.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got to ride one once. Not one of ours though. This one belonged to the Japan Self Defense Force, on the island of Kyushu in 1987 during an exercise called Orient Shield.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/aquaman67/BA9A5BBD-3F10-45F5-8394-4065548EEFA8-10073-0000058EDA44D7BA_zps5bafac81.jpg
View Quote

Where is your glow-belt!!!!!!

You damn sure couldn't get away with that in todays military. All the PPR you would have to wear would be stupendous.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Hmmm.....this looks familiar...........

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
 There was a contract a few years ago where Buell had made some, and the local Harley Dealer was selling some of the Overruns.
View Quote

Back in 2000, or maybe 2001, I was in a Harley dealer and they had an OD single cyliner offroad bike with a hardcase for an SA80 on the back.
I enquired about it, and got a lecture on carrying a gun on a bike.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e125/aquaman67/BA9A5BBD-3F10-45F5-8394-4065548EEFA8-10073-0000058EDA44D7BA_zps5bafac81.jpg
View Quote

Wow...that is the very worst motorcycle riding form I have ever seen! We're you trying to look like a goon messing around, or were you trying to look like a cool dirt bike riding guy?

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#36]
"Aggressive foot pegs and hand guards for optimal control"

I wonder how much this added to the price for Uncle Sam tax payers
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#37]
The bikes I got had the price the military acquired them for it was in the mid 9000 range
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The bikes I got had the price the military acquired them for it was in the mis 9000 range
View Quote

So $4,500 bike with $4,500 worth of mods?

Engine conversion
Different fuel tank (plastic and ~7 gal vs metal and ~6 gal)
New OD plastic
Paint frame and wheels

Meh, sounds about right. Remember, these were converted commercial models, not purpose built.

But, it kept the aftermarket awash in fuel tanks and plastic for years
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You damn sure couldn't get away with that in todays military. All the PPR you would have to wear would be stupendous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first trip to Kandahar, one of the warrant officers bought one of the hadji motorcycles that you could get from the bicycle dealer on the boardwalk. He rode it for all of a week before the policy letter came down forbidding ANY DOD personnel from riding motorcycles on KAF.

Hell, if they gave me a Rebel 250 to get from the RLBs to Mustang Ramp i would be happy...it would beat that stupid bus!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hmmm.....this looks familiar...........

<a href="http://s528.photobucket.com/user/dustrod1/media/Untitled.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd327/dustrod1/Untitled.jpg</a>
View Quote

Riding DIrt Bike on a boat into a Shitter.  Yep checked it over and that qualifies as fucking AWESOME
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's been years since I did the KLR thing, but IIRC Hays Engineering out of Hesperia, CA did the conversion.

It was not an engine swap- all they did was change the cylinder head (to gain compression) and replace the carb with fuel injection.  Everything else was stock KLR650.

There was a great demand in the KLR community for a DOT legal version.  When it was announced they would run about $20k a copy, demand waned.

Apparently EPA created brand new hoops to jump thru in order to prevent a diesel motorbike on America's highways... for the children.
View Quote

I remember that. They were announced and everyone was

Then they said $20K and everyone was

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I find it hard to believe a 1 lb battery carries machine and rider 62 miles cross country.  It would have to be crazy energy dense (more than gasoline)

Otherwise, load a few in your ruck sack and ride on!
View Quote

LITHIUM

I got a small battery in my 1,000cc and it works way better than the 8lbs stock so far.. granted my bike isn't running completely off battery power but your also talking about a very weak bike, and I imagine in water the bike does not get 62 miles.. probably more like 42.. resistance = lower mileage...

I looked into some of those Zero bikes and the range is what killed it beside the obvious lack of power..
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#44]
I believe the short answer is a modified, previous generation KLR-650.  Somehow, the engine is modified to run on diesel, which must be an extremely extensive modification.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I believe the short answer is a modified, previous generation KLR-650.  Somehow, the engine is modified to run on diesel, which must be an extremely extensive modification.
View Quote

IIRC, the engine was a completely new design by Hayes or some sub.

I would LOVE to see the Japs come out with a good multifuel go-anywhere bike. Anywhere from 250-650cc. Under $10K. Designed for durability, not glitz. They would sell a shit-ton.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here's the mill spec one that a soil had on display at bike week a couple of years ago.
http://images15.fotki.com/v587/photos/0/66370/9275454/04244792896-vi.jpg

http://images107.fotki.com/v780/photos/0/66370/9275454/15400339095958-vi.jpg
View Quote

That's a beautiful bike you have there sir. If you don't mind me asking where did you buy it and how much did it set you back?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's a beautiful bike you have there sir. If you don't mind me asking where did you buy it and how much did it set you back?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://images15.fotki.com/v587/photos/0/66370/9275454/04244792896-vi.jpg

http://images107.fotki.com/v780/photos/0/66370/9275454/15400339095958-vi.jpg

Thanks...bought it from a fellow arfcommer  from Arizona....I wanna say I paid 3 grand for it...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Do want
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#49]
CASPIAN TOP CHOICE FOR NON-STATE ACTOR IN AFGHANISTAN AND PAKISTAN

COLORS ENHANCE FOR COMBAT! LOOK FAST, GO FAST! CASPIAN!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The Marines on Hawaii had 650's that were diesel.
I wouldn't mind having one.
View Quote

Those are KLR650's that have been modified by Hayes Technology.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top