Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2002 2:21:07 PM EDT
Have a night flight tonight so I was flipping through the channels today and came to rest on animal planet.  Two uniformed (NYPD?) officers evidently part of an animal cruelty unit responded to a call that there was someone shooting squirrels with a BB gun from an apartment (duplex in suburban area).  The guys scooped up one dead and one wounded squirrel (to take to the vet), then confronted the "shooter".  Confiscated his BB gun as illegal in NYC and called it a firearm.  This wasn't a Gamo or other high-speed air rifle, but a Daisy or Crossman.  The guy shooting, a 76 year old dude, got a summons which probably resulted in a fine and BB gun was confiscated and would not be returned.  WTF - BB guns are illegal in NYC???
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh yes, BB guns are quite illegal in NYC.  I couldn't get one even with my pistol permit.  The odd part is there is a federal law which bars making the sale of airguns illegal, but it doesn't seem to apply to NYC which has decided this means that airguns can be sold to nonresidents (after the dealer obtains a $300 annual permit).  The Sports Authority was just cited and may be fined $200,000 for selling PAINTBALL guns in violation of the NYC ordinance.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeez, even I didn't know NYC rose to this level of stupidity!  How can a city trump a federal law?  Can someone provide the statute?
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course they are - YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!

[img]http://www.huntingdigest.com/images/content/achristmasstory.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Balzac, send me your email addy and I'll send you the relevant section of the administrative Code of the City of Nazi York.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top